Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Lite-On LDW-451s and Windows XP compatibility

Tags:
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 12:40:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi all,
Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me. I have a Lite-On
LDW-451s DVD-RW drive that worked perfectly under both XP and XP SP1. I
already looked at the Microsoft HCL and it is NOT listed, for whatever
that is worth. Anyway, this drive is less than one year old and now the
drive won't even read the contents of a DVD movie or an audio CD. The
platter inside it spins, the light comes on, the drive shows up in
Device Manager as properly working, but again, it will not read any
DVD's or CD's. Is this because of the latest service packs that I have
installed to XP, or could it be the drive itself has just died ? I even
upgraded the drive's firmware from Lite-On, and that did not help.

More about : lite ldw 451s windows compatibility

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 3:02:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

steve2470 wrote:
> Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me. I have a Lite-On
> LDW-451s DVD-RW drive that worked perfectly under both XP and XP SP1.
> I already looked at the Microsoft HCL and it is NOT listed, for
> whatever that is worth. Anyway, this drive is less than one year old
> and now the drive won't even read the contents of a DVD movie or an
> audio CD. The platter inside it spins, the light comes on, the drive
> shows up in Device Manager as properly working, but again, it will
> not read any DVD's or CD's. Is this because of the latest service
> packs that I have installed to XP, or could it be the drive itself
> has just died ? I even upgraded the drive's firmware from Lite-On,
> and that did not help.

www.bootdisk.com

Download and create one with CDROM drivers for DOS.
Boot with it..
Put in a CD - does it read in DOS?

If So, it's something in Windows. If not - Bum Drive or connection. Check
the ribbon and power cables as well as the jumper settings in accordance
with other drives on the same channel.

--
<- Shenan ->
--
The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
getting into before you jump in with both feet.
April 16, 2005 3:37:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Again Shenan, I admire your fix, and I would never have thought of anything
like it. If what he said doesn't work the drive has probably died.

"steve2470" wrote:

> Hi all,
> Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me. I have a Lite-On
> LDW-451s DVD-RW drive that worked perfectly under both XP and XP SP1. I
> already looked at the Microsoft HCL and it is NOT listed, for whatever
> that is worth. Anyway, this drive is less than one year old and now the
> drive won't even read the contents of a DVD movie or an audio CD. The
> platter inside it spins, the light comes on, the drive shows up in
> Device Manager as properly working, but again, it will not read any
> DVD's or CD's. Is this because of the latest service packs that I have
> installed to XP, or could it be the drive itself has just died ? I even
> upgraded the drive's firmware from Lite-On, and that did not help.
>
>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 16, 2005 4:47:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

In news:efKCfkjQFHA.4020@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Shenan Stanley <newshelper@gmail.com> had this to say:

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

<snip>
> www.bootdisk.com
>
> Download and create one with CDROM drivers for DOS.
> Boot with it..
> Put in a CD - does it read in DOS?
>
> If So, it's something in Windows. If not - Bum Drive or connection. Check
> the ribbon and power cables as well as the jumper settings in
> accordance with other drives on the same channel.

Shenan,

Interesting (and logical) fix. I'd never actually thought along those lines
for that sort of problem.

Galen
--
Signature changed for a moment of silence.
Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 4:47:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Shenan Stanley had this to say:
> <snip>
> www.bootdisk.com
>
> Download and create one with CDROM drivers for DOS.
> Boot with it..
> Put in a CD - does it read in DOS?
>
> If So, it's something in Windows. If not - Bum Drive or connection.
> Check the ribbon and power cables as well as the jumper settings in
> accordance with other drives on the same channel.

Galen wrote:
> Interesting (and logical) fix. I'd never actually thought along those
> lines for that sort of problem.

Thanks Galen..
Just trying to present things lately in the way I would approach them.

--
<- Shenan ->
--
The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
getting into before you jump in with both feet.