xp update service pack 1 problem

When I run Windows Update, it tells me that I need Service Pack 1, even
though this is a new computer. It seems that Service Pack 2 is already
installed. When I then try to install SP 1, it seems to be hung up. I hear
that it takes awhile to install, but today after 5 hours I decided that was
ridiculous. Oh, and I am on High Speed. Anyone know what might be wrong?
1 answer Last reply
More about update service pack problem

    Cybernana wrote:
    > When I run Windows Update, it tells me that I need Service Pack 1,
    > even though this is a new computer. It seems that Service Pack 2 is
    > already installed. When I then try to install SP 1, it seems to be
    > hung up. I hear that it takes awhile to install, but today after 5
    > hours I decided that was ridiculous. Oh, and I am on High Speed. Anyone
    > know what might be wrong?

    Download and install SP2. If you have SP2, SP1 is unneeded - as SP2
    contains all previous fixes.

    Direct Download of Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP
    http://snipurl.com/8bqy

    Order the Free Windows XP SP2 CD
    http://snipurl.com/8umo

    --