Gazza

Hi,
I have just installed a 160g Western Digital as a secondary drive and set it
to slave, but XP pro won't recognise it. It shows up in the bios but not in
XP. Any ideas on what is wrong.

I have also change the disk for a new one thinking it was faulty. Same problem

damo

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

Format the drive NTFS

Gazza wrote:
> Hi,
> I have just installed a 160g Western Digital as a secondary drive and
> set it to slave, but XP pro won't recognise it. It shows up in the
> bios but not in XP. Any ideas on what is wrong.
>
> I have also change the disk for a new one thinking it was faulty.
> Same problem

BIOS recognizes entire drive?
Disk Management doesn't see anything when you try to initialize? Or have
you done that?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

--
<- Shenan ->

Gazza

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Gazza wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have just installed a 160g Western Digital as a secondary drive and
> > set it to slave, but XP pro won't recognise it. It shows up in the
> > bios but not in XP. Any ideas on what is wrong.
> >
> > I have also change the disk for a new one thinking it was faulty.
> > Same problem
>
> BIOS recognizes entire drive?
> Disk Management doesn't see anything when you try to initialize? Or have
> you done that?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->
>
> I have tried disk management, it also see the drive but will not initialize it when I go to my computer there is only C drive.

Hi,

Click start/run and type diskmgmt.msc, then click ok. Right click the new
drive and select the option to create a partition. Until you partition the
drive, it will not show in Windows Explorer. After partitioning, you must
still format it before you can write data to it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Gazza" <Gazza@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have just installed a 160g Western Digital as a secondary drive and set
> it
> to slave, but XP pro won't recognise it. It shows up in the bios but not
> in
> XP. Any ideas on what is wrong.
>
> I have also change the disk for a new one thinking it was faulty. Same
> problem

"Gazza" <Gazza@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have just installed a 160g Western Digital as a secondary drive and set
> it
> to slave, but XP pro won't recognise it. It shows up in the bios but not
> in
> XP. Any ideas on what is wrong.
>
> I have also change the disk for a new one thinking it was faulty. Same
> problem

Shows up in BIOS? This is a good thing. Means it is recognized. Now create a
partition and format it and the OS will recognize it.
Make sure you set the master as a master when you make the slave a slave. As
opposed to CS which is cable select.