160g hard drive

Hi,
I have just installed a 160g Western Digital as a secondary drive and set it
to slave, but XP pro won't recognise it. It shows up in the bios but not in
XP. Any ideas on what is wrong.

I have also change the disk for a new one thinking it was faulty. Same problem
5 answers Last reply
More about 160g hard drive

    Format the drive NTFS

    Gazza wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have just installed a 160g Western Digital as a secondary drive and
    > set it to slave, but XP pro won't recognise it. It shows up in the
    > bios but not in XP. Any ideas on what is wrong.
    >
    > I have also change the disk for a new one thinking it was faulty.
    > Same problem

    BIOS recognizes entire drive?
    Disk Management doesn't see anything when you try to initialize? Or have
    you done that?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > Gazza wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I have just installed a 160g Western Digital as a secondary drive and
    > > set it to slave, but XP pro won't recognise it. It shows up in the
    > > bios but not in XP. Any ideas on what is wrong.
    > >
    > > I have also change the disk for a new one thinking it was faulty.
    > > Same problem
    >
    > BIOS recognizes entire drive?
    > Disk Management doesn't see anything when you try to initialize? Or have
    > you done that?
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->
    >
    > I have tried disk management, it also see the drive but will not initialize it when I go to my computer there is only C drive.

    Hi,

    Click start/run and type diskmgmt.msc, then click ok. Right click the new
    drive and select the option to create a partition. Until you partition the
    drive, it will not show in Windows Explorer. After partitioning, you must
    still format it before you can write data to it.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Gazza" <Gazza@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have just installed a 160g Western Digital as a secondary drive and set
    > it
    > to slave, but XP pro won't recognise it. It shows up in the bios but not
    > in
    > XP. Any ideas on what is wrong.
    >
    > I have also change the disk for a new one thinking it was faulty. Same
    > problem

    "Gazza" <Gazza@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have just installed a 160g Western Digital as a secondary drive and set
    > it
    > to slave, but XP pro won't recognise it. It shows up in the bios but not
    > in
    > XP. Any ideas on what is wrong.
    >
    > I have also change the disk for a new one thinking it was faulty. Same
    > problem

    Shows up in BIOS? This is a good thing. Means it is recognized. Now create a
    partition and format it and the OS will recognize it.
    Make sure you set the master as a master when you make the slave a slave. As
    opposed to CS which is cable select.

Windows XP