DELL Support

superboss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2003
I just thought I'd mention that although speaking to the support team in India or Malaysia or whereever the hell they outsource their telephonic support to does still suck very badly and wish they would enable it to be possible to transfer you to the correct department instead of calling a multitude of different telephone numbers.

I truly believe you should buy a DELL as I dont think I have ever had such amazing support from any hardware supplier ever.

I mean I raised a complaint about my display and funny HDD noises and clumsy keyboard problems and although I spent a good few days on the telephone, once they understood my problems they raised a service support call for me and within a day I received a call from their local tech support team and they made an apointment with me for a time that suited me and came to my office and replaced the faulty items then and there.

They even offered to let me keep my old HDD for a few days to get my data from it, but I had already backed everything up before hand so that was not neccassary.

I am not aware of any other Laptop company who has on site service, mostly you will have to be without your laptop for a few days or weeks and then you can only pray they have indeed "replaced" your faulty parts and not "fixed" them.

I will say again. Stick with Dell, as although you might spend some time initially on the telephone with someone who cant understand english, eventually their true support colours will shine through.

Also what you get for your money with a Dell still cant be beat by any other major laptop manufacturer.

any other opinions??

Opel Superboss, now that was a car!

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
mmm, I concur, the key to Dell Support, is to handle them firmly, but politely, and not settle for anything less than what is required. They've already been out to replace my display twice - once because of the Samsung burn in issue, and the other time because I had a few dead pixels. About a month ago, we had one of our 'African' Thunderstorms (they're unique, I assure you :eek: ), and a lightning strike took out my AC adapter - Dell sent me a new one by 9am the following morning. Simple as that.

When you buy a notebook, Customer/Technical Support is something that is much more important than with desktop computers. Either way, I suppose that is why Dell is rated the best in terms of support, in the world.

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
A severe number of Latitude D800 and Inspiron 8500 Dell notebooks were shipped with Samsung WUXGA+ LCD Panels. A large number of users began complaining on the Dell Forums, that their LCDs were developing "screen burn" - as used to be a problem with older CRT monitors. Ofcourse, the moderators and the Dell users who did not suffer this problem, shrugged off these complaints, as LCDs don't get screen burn; there aren't any phosphors to 'burn'. The people were obviously being afflicted with something else. After several months of these complaints (an alarming number of them at that), Dell launched an investigation, and while they did not own up at first, it was discovered that all the Samsung LCDs developed a residual capacatative charge, which caused ghost images to remain on the screen at all times (e.g. the start menu, or all the icons on the desktop, could vaguely be seen etc.). This could be fixed by running the 'starfield' screen saver, but this took anywhere from a few hours, to a few weeks to correct the problem, and it was bound to come back anyway. So eventually, Dell released a press statement, and all users who had not already had their LCDs replaced, were advised to do so, if they had the burn-in issue. They were replaced by Sharp LCD displays (the users who did not suffer burn in, had Sharp LCDs to begin with), which also displayed black more "blackly" and colours more vividly. Still it was a major stuff up on Dell's part, and must've cost them a fortune.

I must add that the burn-in issue is/was not limited to the notebook panels, I have seen numerous Samsung LCDs (older ones, generally) at a number of computer stores that have developed screen burn.

RaPTuRe

superboss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2003
Oh no!
My screen is the WSXGA 1680 X 1050 Samsung,
how long does it take to notice this?

Opel Superboss, now that was a car!

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
ok,

a) You don't have a WUXGA+
b) They erradicated the problem about 4 months ago.
c) If you DO have a bad lcd, you will just know after a while. Some people had it really bad, others, like me, just had a minor problem with it.

I really wouldn't worry, there were never any WSXGA panels that had the problem. You can look up all the posts in the Dell Forum if you want.

RaPTuRe

argyle

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2003
how can one tell which screen he has. i have used 'aida' for system info. but the info isnt being shown. some weird characters show up at manufacturer name for the lcd. ihave the 1680x1050 screen, and no problems so far. i would want to get any problem fixed before my warranty wears off. thanks

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
If you can't see any problems, then there probably aren't any - and if there are, who cares, because obviously they aren't at all noticable. There have not been any problems with the 1680x1050 LCDs, as far as I know.

Otherwise, The only way to tell what manufacturer your LCD is, is to either open it up (it'll say it quite clearly then on the lable); or look on your invoice (or the Dell online documentation site), where it should tell you all that. Unfortunately, there is no way to check it using software.

Regards,

Raps