LifeDrive WiFi connection at Subway sandwich shops?

August 23, 2005 1:43:40 AM

In Chicago I have had luck establishing WiFi connections between my
LifeDrive and T-Mobile locations (Starbucks, Borders) and free WiFi
spots like Panera Bread, Savor the Flavor coffee shop, Chicago Cultural
Center, and Daley Plaza. But there is a Subway sandwich shop with free
WiFi near where I do volunteer work that I cannot establish a connection
with. My LifeDrive sees the WiFi signal and gets an IP address, but when
I try to get on the web with Blazer or get my e-mail with Versamail I
get an error message that says a connection couldn't be established. The
network is not password protected.

My guess is that Subway has a redirection web page that must be
acknowledged first before you can begin sending/receiving data, and that
web page must contain some java/javascript that is too complicated for
Blazer, or maybe there is some Internet Explorer specific code in there
Blazer doesn't understand. Panera Bread's free WiFi works that way.
After establishing a WiFi connection you have to click on a button on a
redirection web page that says you agree to their terms of service
before you can begin sending/receiving anything.

I don't know if all Subways with WiFi capability across the USA use this
same system. Is anyone else accessing free WiFi from Subway with their
LifeDrive? Is there a browser that might be able to interpret
java/javascript better than Blazer?

Thanks,

-Bob Matter
November 2, 2006 6:03:24 AM

Quote:
But there is a Subway sandwich shop with free
WiFi near where I do volunteer work that I cannot establish a connection
with. My LifeDrive sees the WiFi signal and gets an IP address, but when
I try to get on the web with Blazer or get my e-mail with Versamail I
get an error message that says a connection couldn't be established. The
network is not password protected.

It could simply be that the owners have blocked ports from the router, you might want to try an email them (corparate) to see if they are promoting instore wifi hotspots.

Tux
!