MN-740 community to Microsoft -FU

Pretty interesting. I did this to my MN-740 and was able to make a
WPA-PSK/TKIP connection. This will of course void all warranties and
you won't be able to get support from either MS or D-Link (duh).

You'll need to disable SuperG, but otherwise it will work OK.

I'm not pro-actively recommending that anyone do this mod, but I have
been pretty vocal about the dangers of WEP.

I've been very impressed with my "real" DGL-3420. It has better range
and is more robust than the MN-740.

YMMV.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Uh yeah....like we were getting any support from Microsoft anyways....

"Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Pretty interesting. I did this to my MN-740 and was able to make a
> WPA-PSK/TKIP connection. This will of course void all warranties and
> you won't be able to get support from either MS or D-Link (duh).
>
> You'll need to disable SuperG, but otherwise it will work OK.
>
> I'm not pro-actively recommending that anyone do this mod, but I have
> been pretty vocal about the dangers of WEP.
>
> I've been very impressed with my "real" DGL-3420. It has better range
> and is more robust than the MN-740.
>
> YMMV.
>
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:45:09 -0500, "Joseph Wallis"
> <inteller@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>No WPA? Nevermind, we can do it ourselves:
>>
>>http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13360873
>>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP
> Expert Zone Columnist
> http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/

Microsoft dropped all the networking hardware (except the MN-740 for Xbox)
in April, 2004. I don't believe the department which developed the wireless
software even exists any more. The MN-740 came not from that department,
but the Xbox side.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"Joseph Wallis" <inteller@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Uh yeah....like we were getting any support from Microsoft anyways....
>

> "Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Pretty interesting. I did this to my MN-740 and was able to make a
>> WPA-PSK/TKIP connection. This will of course void all warranties and
>> you won't be able to get support from either MS or D-Link (duh).
>>
>> You'll need to disable SuperG, but otherwise it will work OK.
>>
>> I'm not pro-actively recommending that anyone do this mod, but I have
>> been pretty vocal about the dangers of WEP.
>>
>> I've been very impressed with my "real" DGL-3420. It has better range
>> and is more robust than the MN-740.
>>
>> YMMV.
>>
>> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:45:09 -0500, "Joseph Wallis"
>> <inteller@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>No WPA? Nevermind, we can do it ourselves:
>>>
>>>http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13360873
>>>

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP
>> Expert Zone Columnist
>> http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/

Contracting out a firmware upgrade to WPA would have been easy though.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Correct. :cool:
--

> Contracting out a firmware upgrade to WPA would have been easy though.
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:15:32 -0700, "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Microsoft dropped all the networking hardware (except the MN-740 for Xbox)
>>in April, 2004. I don't believe the department which developed the
>>wireless
>>software even exists any more. The MN-740 came not from that department,
>>but the Xbox side.
> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP
> Expert Zone Columnist
> http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/

You are assuming Microsoft doesnt always do things the hard way.....which it
apparently does.

Anyways another side benefit to this upgrade that users are reporting (on
BBR) is that you also get a web configuration interface. That isn't to my
liking, but some people like the extra control.

"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Correct. :cool:
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Contracting out a firmware upgrade to WPA would have been easy though.
>> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:15:32 -0700, "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Microsoft dropped all the networking hardware (except the MN-740 for
>>>Xbox)
>>>in April, 2004. I don't believe the department which developed the
>>>wireless
>>>software even exists any more. The MN-740 came not from that department,
>>>but the Xbox side.
>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP
>> Expert Zone Columnist
>> http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/

The MN-740 was designed to be install via the Xbox Dashboard first, and then
can be administered via any computer thereafter. You can actually use the
device on a computer as the wireless networking hardware. (After the
initial setup.)
--

> You are assuming Microsoft doesnt always do things the hard way.....which
> it apparently does.
>
> Anyways another side benefit to this upgrade that users are reporting (on
> BBR) is that you also get a web configuration interface. That isn't to my
> liking, but some people like the extra control.
>
> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Correct. :cool:
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Contracting out a firmware upgrade to WPA would have been easy though.

>>> --
>>>
>>> Barb Bowman
>>> MS Windows-MVP
>>> Expert Zone Columnist
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/meetexperts/bowman.mspx
>>> http://www.mcemvp.us/bbowman/

Well, now with this firmware upgrade you can do that, and you can also
configure it via the web.

> The MN-740 was designed to be install via the Xbox Dashboard first, and
> then can be administered via any computer thereafter. You can actually
> use the device on a computer as the wireless networking hardware. (After
> the initial setup.)
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "Joseph Wallis" <inteller@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> You are assuming Microsoft doesnt always do things the hard way.....which
>> it apparently does.
>>
>> Anyways another side benefit to this upgrade that users are reporting (on
>> BBR) is that you also get a web configuration interface. That isn't to
>> my liking, but some people like the extra control.
>>
>> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Correct. :cool:
>>> --
>>> Chris H.
>>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>>> Tablet Creations - http://nicecreations.us/
>>> Associate Expert
>>> Expert Zone - www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>>

>>> "Barb Bowman MVP-Windows" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message

Apparently Microsoft didn't like users supporting themselves. They have
taken all of the MSBN utilities down. There is officially no more support
from Microsoft on the web. All MS Broadband products have been ORPHANED.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=6790
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging