Help with unopenable My Documents files

I have created an enormous number of Wordpad documents in my family
genealogy folder. To my surprise many of these files now will not open
- I get the following message when I attempt to open them..."Cannot
load Word for Windows 6.0 files".

I have no clue as to what caused this problem - the only way that I
can open them now is to right click on them and then use the Open With
and select Microsoft Word Viewer.

My question - is there a way that I can permanently change these files
to automatically open so that when I make copies of these files on a
CD for other family members - they are able to open and view them?

Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.

Mary

Some things changed with XP SP2.

Cannot load Word for Windows 6.0 files error message.

[[This problem occurs because WordPad's Rich Text Format (RTF) converters
are disabled in Windows XP SP2, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, and
Windows Server 2003 SP1. Therefore, .doc and .wri files that require an RTF
converter cannot be opened by using WordPad.]]

There are two methods listed here...
You receive a "Cannot load Word for Windows 6.0 files" error message when
you try to open a file on a computer that is running Windows XP Service Pack
2, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870883

Programs that are affected by the changes in Rich Text Format
[[Rich Text Format (RTF) is a text document format (.rtf) that is sometimes
used instead of Plain Text format (.txt) or Microsoft Word format (.doc).
Windows XP SP2 disables the RTF converters that were installed with versions
of Windows XP that are earlier than Windows XP SP2. If you do not have an
RTF converter from an installed program, documents that require this
converter will not open.]]
Programs that may experience a change in behavior after you install Windows
XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886264/

Error message when you open a document file in Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883090/

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uc52619fcn37044nhipt9igt4d0f7kc0rj@4ax.com,
ECLiPSE 2002 <fdm2000@comcast.net> hunted and pecked:
> I have created an enormous number of Wordpad documents in my family
> genealogy folder. To my surprise many of these files now will not open
> - I get the following message when I attempt to open them..."Cannot
> load Word for Windows 6.0 files".
>
> I have no clue as to what caused this problem - the only way that I
> can open them now is to right click on them and then use the Open With
> and select Microsoft Word Viewer.
>
> My question - is there a way that I can permanently change these files
> to automatically open so that when I make copies of these files on a
> CD for other family members - they are able to open and view them?
>
> Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
>
> Mary

Thank you for the response and suggestions, Wesley. I am still
confused after reading the information at the twl Microsoft pages you
referenced - I have not yet installed Windows XP SP2 and what I
currently have is Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002, SP1.

Guess I will have to somehow download a copy of Microsoft Word or
continue to use the the copy of Microsoft Word Viewer to open and view
the files.

Still don't know how or why I lost the RTF converters for Wordpad?

Mary

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 09:38:29 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
<123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

>Some things changed with XP SP2.
>
>Cannot load Word for Windows 6.0 files error message.
>
>[[This problem occurs because WordPad's Rich Text Format (RTF) converters
>are disabled in Windows XP SP2, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, and
>Windows Server 2003 SP1. Therefore, .doc and .wri files that require an RTF
>converter cannot be opened by using WordPad.]]
>
>There are two methods listed here...
>You receive a "Cannot load Word for Windows 6.0 files" error message when
>you try to open a file on a computer that is running Windows XP Service Pack
>2, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, or Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870883
>
>Programs that are affected by the changes in Rich Text Format
>[[Rich Text Format (RTF) is a text document format (.rtf) that is sometimes
>used instead of Plain Text format (.txt) or Microsoft Word format (.doc).
>Windows XP SP2 disables the RTF converters that were installed with versions
>of Windows XP that are earlier than Windows XP SP2. If you do not have an
>RTF converter from an installed program, documents that require this
>converter will not open.]]
>Programs that may experience a change in behavior after you install Windows
>XP Service Pack 2
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886264/
>
>Error message when you open a document file in Windows XP Service Pack 2
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883090/

Many thanks Mike for the heads up - now I know why I couldn't open the
..doc files. I had created them with my Win 98 pc and copied them over
to my new Win pc.

Will try the work-around you sent.

Mary