Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Dell laptop, Windows 7 Internet Problems

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
June 11, 2012 6:23:18 PM

Hey,

I have had a Dell laptop for a few months now and it keeps coming up with a "No Internet Access" Yellow Icon. It still says im connected but have no internet access and I cannot open any webpages or anything that involves the internet, every other computer and phone in the house will connect and stay connected. If I unplug the router and reconnect it works fine for 30-60 minutes but then I get the icon again, it works fine for a bit after being turned on and if it is rebooted it works fines but not for long, if I disable and then re enable the wireless networking device that was built in same result it works fine for a little bit but then stops. Now obviously I could just disable and re enable the wireless connector every half hour but its annoying and would rather it was fixed. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mac Hooper
June 11, 2012 6:42:50 PM

Well from what you say the router is fine as no other device in the house has problems. It could be a software issue. If for example you use Chrome for browsing it might be worth installing Firefox to see if the problem still occurs. Probably worth making sure you have the latest drivers installed for your wifi card as well. Viruses or spyware could also cause this type of fault so probably worth doing a scan if you havn't already. If all else fails I would consider a fresh install of your OS and if the problem is still occuring you could have a faulty wifi card.
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 6:49:53 PM

finn281175 said:
Well from what you say the router is fine as no other device in the house has problems. It could be a software issue. If for example you use Chrome for browsing it might be worth installing Firefox to see if the problem still occurs. Probably worth making sure you have the latest drivers installed for your wifi card as well. Viruses or spyware could also cause this type of fault so probably worth doing a scan if you havn't already. If all else fails I would consider a fresh install of your OS and if the problem is still occuring you could have a faulty wifi card.


Thank you for replying so fast, I have just re installed windows 7 and I do use chrome should I uninstall chrome (if you can please let me know how if you can) and try Firefox?
m
0
l
Related resources
June 11, 2012 6:59:52 PM

You don't have to uninstall Chrome. Just install Firefox alongside it. You should be able to run them both with no problems.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
June 11, 2012 7:03:53 PM

Hi,

I would start with testing if this problem happens with other laptops (wireless)

If it doesn't it is clearly the laptop problem if not it might be your router / modem.

Have you disabled power saving and hybernation/stanbdby.

I have seen problem with wireless because of that

Good luck
Share
June 11, 2012 7:19:08 PM

dextermat said:
Hi,

I would start with testing if this problem happens with other laptops (wireless)

If it doesn't it is clearly the laptop problem if not it might be your router / modem.

Have you disabled power saving and hybernation/stanbdby.

I have seen problem with wireless because of that

Good luck


Where abouts is the Hibernation option?
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 7:25:25 PM

I am almost sure that this problem is not with Google or W7, is it possible to try using a wired connection to see if the same happens, also problems like this come from your ISP, although other pc's and phones may work the protocol between your laptop and router may not be configured properly. Sometimes re-installing your router will solve the problem, if not a quick call to your provider to reset your IP address will sort things out. One other point is that your anti-virus protection might need resetting or adjusting, try turning your av off to see if it makes any difference.
Hope this helps or gives you some ideas.
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 7:34:54 PM

steve5757 said:
I am almost sure that this problem is not with Google or W7, is it possible to try using a wired connection to see if the same happens, also problems like this come from your ISP, although other pc's and phones may work the protocol between your laptop and router may not be configured properly. Sometimes re-installing your router will solve the problem, if not a quick call to your provider to reset your IP address will sort things out. One other point is that your anti-virus protection might need resetting or adjusting, try turning your av off to see if it makes any difference.
Hope this helps or gives you some ideas.

Wired connection is fine. I used to be able to connect fine no problems but recently it has started messing up
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 8:15:57 PM

MacHooper said:
Wired connection is fine. I used to be able to connect fine no problems but recently it has started messing up

If it works wired that rules out W7 and Google dont you think. Your ISP sometimes change IP addresses and other protocol which doesn't always affect all pc's but can affect certain ones, i know because i had a massive argument with my son,about the same thing, i kept telling him but he just said why is everything else working. In the end i went to his house, phone his service provider, 15 minutes later after we changed settings over the phone,everything was working fine. I would try re-setting the router yourself first,by pressing the reset button then re-install as from new, if not phone your provider, that is what they are there for. The only other thing i can think of right now is that you have to many things connected, but unlikely. I will keep giving it some thought.
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 8:25:54 PM

One other thing - have you tried connecting from a different wireless connection? A friends house or a local wifi hotspot etc? This could rule out some of the possibilities listed here.
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 7:28:28 AM

Best answer selected by MacHooper.
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 7:30:07 AM

dextermat said:
Hi,

I would start with testing if this problem happens with other laptops (wireless)

If it doesn't it is clearly the laptop problem if not it might be your router / modem.

Have you disabled power saving and hybernation/stanbdby.

I have seen problem with wireless because of that

Good luck

I disabled the power saving thing and it hasn't popped up again since I have, usually it would do so every 30 minutes now I can be on it for any amount of time and it still works, thanks everyone else for all the help though
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 8:47:00 PM

Hi Mac Hooper,

My name is Nischith and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell.

Since the wireless internet is working fine on your notebook it means that Wireless card and Operating system itself are working fine. Next time when you see the yellow notification on your system, just check the internet activity LED on your router it will not be lit or will not be blinking. This is momentarily getting resolved by the Power Cycle (Unplug and reconnect the router\Switching it off and back on). For permanent resolution, Please have the router replaced. If the router was provided by your ISP I would request you to contact your ISP or if it was purchased separately you contact the router manufacturer.

Regards,
Dell-Nischith M
Social Media Responder
m
0
l
August 19, 2013 9:04:42 AM

just going thru the same problems on both my new Dell Laptops Windows 7.. when they are unplugged and only on battery the wireless connection will shut down... very annoying.. first I thought it was Norton.. not so... then the browsers.. tried all three I have FF..Chrome..IE.. still doing it

I found this e-z solution on another Board and it worked for me on both Laptops.. no more dropping wireless
http://
m
0
l
September 4, 2013 10:15:55 AM

I am having the exact same problem. My connection was fine until I started the machine up on Tuesday. All other devices in the house work fine on the wireless connection (a tablet, a playstation and a Dell desktop computer) Just my Dell studio on Windows 7(64 bit) will not connect. It sees the Network, shows an excellent signal, but refuses to connect to it. Or it does connect to it, but will not allow internet access. Trying to see if the neighbors will allow me to connect to their wireless as a test. I have run a trojan killer and virus scan for adware - which it DID find and remove, but did not help.
m
0
l
September 4, 2013 1:27:59 PM

as an UPDATE to my post above.. I posted a link ..guess I goofed about posting a link on here.. mea culpa..

anyway.. here is the solution I read about and used..I have tried using my Dell laptop many times since I used it and HAS NOT lost the connection at all.. it solved my problem hope it solves anyone else who has the same problem with their wireless adapter

************************************************************************************************
Go into Power settings of your computer, find Wireless Adapter, make sure it is set to Max Performance, most likely when on battery it is set to medium or less.
m
0
l
December 19, 2013 7:28:01 AM

Elizabeth Emery said:
I am having the exact same problem. My connection was fine until I started the machine up on Tuesday. All other devices in the house work fine on the wireless connection (a tablet, a playstation and a Dell desktop computer) Just my Dell studio on Windows 7(64 bit) will not connect. It sees the Network, shows an excellent signal, but refuses to connect to it. Or it does connect to it, but will not allow internet access. Trying to see if the neighbors will allow me to connect to their wireless as a test. I have run a trojan killer and virus scan for adware - which it DID find and remove, but did not help.


Elizabeth my problem sounds identical to yours. Did you find a solution?
m
0
l
January 12, 2014 9:51:55 PM

I had exactly this problem on two Windows 7 computers (two other XP's were fine).

After a lot of going round in circles we found that Avast Safe Zone (part of the paid version) was causing the problem. When it was uninstalled everything was OK. It blocks all browsers on W7 but not on XP.

Mark Baraniecki
m
0
l
!