Start Up - Aftermath of virus removal

russell

After removing a virus from my system, the guilty file seems to be required
in the Start Up files. How do I know if it is really required (clean that is)
?
The item in question was in ;
C:\WINDOWS\system32\myibbxlbn\crss.exe (now deleted)

If it is required, how do I replace it?

Many thanks,

Russ

--
Russell C, retired

Hi Russell,

What was the exact name of the virus?

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Russell wrote:
> After removing a virus from my system, the guilty file
> seems to be required in the Start Up files. How do I know
> if it is really required (clean that is) ?
> The item in question was in ;
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\myibbxlbn\crss.exe (now deleted)
>
> If it is required, how do I replace it?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Russ

russell

The McAfee report said ;
"Found the W32/Generic.m virus The file has been deleted"

Russ

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Russell,
>
> What was the exact name of the virus?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> Russell wrote:
> > After removing a virus from my system, the guilty file
> > seems to be required in the Start Up files. How do I know
> > if it is really required (clean that is) ?
> > The item in question was in ;
> > C:\WINDOWS\system32\myibbxlbn\crss.exe (now deleted)
> >
> > If it is required, how do I replace it?
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Russ

Crss.exe was the virus file. Windows is trying to load it but can not
find it. You will first have to find where is it loading from. Go to
Start - Run and type Msconfig then press enter. On the Startup tab
look for the Command that contains crss.exe then look at it's
Location. This will tell you where it is loading from. Then the
in removing it.

--

Russell wrote:
> The McAfee report said ;
> "Found the W32/Generic.m virus The file has been deleted"
>
> Russ
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi Russell,
>>
>> What was the exact name of the virus?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>

>> Russell wrote:
>>> After removing a virus from my system, the guilty file
>>> seems to be required in the Start Up files. How do I
>>> know if it is really required (clean that is) ?
>>> The item in question was in ;
>>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\myibbxlbn\crss.exe (now deleted)
>>>
>>> If it is required, how do I replace it?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>>
>>> Russ

russell

Thanks Bert, I should have posted the location as you suggested, but in my
bravery mode I located them in the registry and deleted them ..silly..took me
another day to get my system back as this caused a fatal error. Anyway I was
able to load the "Last known good configuration" and everything seems to
appear perfectly normal now. There is just one reference in the start up
file to the crss.exe, but it doesn't present any problems.
Thanks again,

Russ

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Crss.exe was the virus file. Windows is trying to load it but can not
> find it. You will first have to find where is it loading from. Go to
> Start - Run and type Msconfig then press enter. On the Startup tab
> look for the Command that contains crss.exe then look at it's
> Location. This will tell you where it is loading from. Then the
> in removing it.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> Russell wrote:
> > The McAfee report said ;
> > "Found the W32/Generic.m virus The file has been deleted"
> >
> > Russ
> >
> > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Russell,
> >>
> >> What was the exact name of the virus?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> >> http://dts-l.org/

What's the location of the one reference to crss.exe?

--

Russell wrote:
> Thanks Bert, I should have posted the location as you
> suggested, but in my bravery mode I located them in the
> registry and deleted them ..silly..took me another day to
> get my system back as this caused a fatal error. Anyway I
> was able to load the "Last known good configuration" and
> everything seems to appear perfectly normal now. There
> is just one reference in the start up file to the
> crss.exe, but it doesn't present any problems.
> Thanks again,
>
> Russ
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Crss.exe was the virus file. Windows is trying to load
>> it but can not find it. You will first have to find
>> where is it loading from. Go to Start - Run and type
>> Msconfig then press enter. On the Startup tab look for
>> the Command that contains crss.exe then look at it's
>> Location. This will tell you where it is loading from.
>> Then the loading sequence can be eliminated. Post the
>> location if you need help in removing it.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>
>> Russell wrote:
>>> The McAfee report said ;
>>> "Found the W32/Generic.m virus The file has been
>>> deleted"
>>>
>>> Russ

russell

Hi Bert, the location is "start up" in the msconfig,
C:\windows\system32\myibbxlbn\crss.exe

I have been trying to clean up my system from old programmes that are still
left in the registry. I don't know why that is, when I use the uninstall
programmes to be rid of them.

Russ

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> What's the location of the one reference to crss.exe?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> Russell wrote:
> > Thanks Bert, I should have posted the location as you
> > suggested, but in my bravery mode I located them in the
> > registry and deleted them ..silly..took me another day to
> > get my system back as this caused a fatal error. Anyway I
> > was able to load the "Last known good configuration" and
> > everything seems to appear perfectly normal now. There
> > is just one reference in the start up file to the
> > crss.exe, but it doesn't present any problems.
> > Thanks again,
> >
> > Russ
> >
> > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
> >
> >> Crss.exe was the virus file. Windows is trying to load
> >> it but can not find it. You will first have to find
> >> where is it loading from. Go to Start - Run and type
> >> Msconfig then press enter. On the Startup tab look for
> >> the Command that contains crss.exe then look at it's
> >> Location. This will tell you where it is loading from.
> >> Then the loading sequence can be eliminated. Post the
> >> location if you need help in removing it.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> >> http://dts-l.org/

That's the Command. Look under the Location column for the location.

--

Russell wrote:
> Hi Bert, the location is "start up" in the msconfig,
> C:\windows\system32\myibbxlbn\crss.exe
>
> I have been trying to clean up my system from old
> programmes that are still left in the registry. I don't
> know why that is, when I use the uninstall programmes to
> be rid of them.
>
> Russ
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> What's the location of the one reference to crss.exe?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>

>> Russell wrote:
>>> Thanks Bert, I should have posted the location as you
>>> suggested, but in my bravery mode I located them in the
>>> registry and deleted them ..silly..took me another day
>>> to get my system back as this caused a fatal error.
>>> Anyway I was able to load the "Last known good
>>> configuration" and everything seems to appear perfectly
>>> normal now. There is just one reference in the start
>>> up file to the crss.exe, but it doesn't present any
>>> problems.
>>> Thanks again,
>>>
>>> Russ

russell

Hi Bert, Interestingly enoguh, between the time of the last post and this
one, I purchased Registry Mechanic, and cleaned the registry. Took a look for
the location, and it does not appear anywhere.

Manh thanks for your help.

Russ

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> That's the Command. Look under the Location column for the location.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> Russell wrote:
> > Hi Bert, the location is "start up" in the msconfig,
> > C:\windows\system32\myibbxlbn\crss.exe
> >
> > I have been trying to clean up my system from old
> > programmes that are still left in the registry. I don't
> > know why that is, when I use the uninstall programmes to
> > be rid of them.
> >
> > Russ
> >
> > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
> >
> >> What's the location of the one reference to crss.exe?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> >> http://dts-l.org/

You're welcome, and glad to see you have the virus removed
successfully.

--

Russell wrote:
> Hi Bert, Interestingly enoguh, between the time of the
> last post and this one, I purchased Registry Mechanic,
> and cleaned the registry. Took a look for the location,
> and it does not appear anywhere.
>
> Manh thanks for your help.
>
> Russ
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> That's the Command. Look under the Location column for
>> the location.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>
>> Russell wrote:
>>> Hi Bert, the location is "start up" in the msconfig,
>>> C:\windows\system32\myibbxlbn\crss.exe
>>>
>>> I have been trying to clean up my system from old
>>> programmes that are still left in the registry. I don't
>>> know why that is, when I use the uninstall programmes to
>>> be rid of them.
>>>
>>> Russ

TRENDING THREADS