So need an opinion from some people - maybe some advice as well.
Currently I have a desktop I built a few years ago that hasn't given me any trouble lately, but I am thinking about moving away from the desktop and going back to the laptop way of life, just for portability and such. I have two 22" monitors but lately the second one hasn't been getting much use lately.
My thought is to sell my monitors and get a nice 15-17" laptop and if I need to use a big monitor I can plug the laptop into the TV and use a wireless keyboard / mouse for things. My only concern is storage - so maybe buying a Network Attached storage device and throwing my old drives into that and accessing them if need be. The only processing intensive thing I do on my PC is Android Development and Photo Editing (Lightroom / Photoshop) - not really much into PC gaming.
My desk right now is my two monitors and a TON of paper so I just feel its useless and causing clutter. Any ideas, thoughts, advice?
Has anyone moved from the desktop to laptop solution? If so, how do you like the change? Is it tolerable? Do you like being able to bring the laptop places with you (currently I bring my netbook and its lacking in power).
Please see the responses to the questions from the FAQ below:
1. What is your budget? Would prefer to stay under $800.
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 17" Maximum.
3. What screen resolution do you want? 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 - nothing specific here.
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop replacement as stated - a lighter version wouldn't be a bad thing though.
5. How much battery life do you need? Looking for decent battery life, not sure what laptops get these days.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No gaming.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Photo editing & Android Development.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? ~1TB internal (if possible), not 100% necessary though as I am looking into a external storage device.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. Nothing Specific.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3-4 years.
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD ROM/Writer preferred.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. No preference.
13. What country do you live in? USA.
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. See post above.