Installing Windows XP and copying files to another drive

April 16, 2005 5:14:12 PM

I recently got a new copy of Windows XP (my other one was damaged). The new
one has the service pack 2 which I need. Now I want to move everything over
to a new drive in the SAME computer as I am frequently getting a low disk
space message. I know that Windows XP has a program for copying files and OS
to a NEW computer, but will this work for tranferring to a different drive
in the same CPU?
April 16, 2005 5:21:01 PM

You really do need to spend an extra dollar or two buying a beginners guide
to Windows.

1. Copy [and paste] has been a standard function ever since Windows was
first introduced [just after the first Being 747 flew]. It's not new to XP.

2. I believe that a successful interpretation of the second part is: I would
like to know if Files and Settings Transfer Wizard will work if the original
Windows Installation is located on a second Hard drive in my New PC. The
answer to this is NO.

To ensure that you have moved all the relevant files, you can use copy and
paste to copy the folders and files from:

D:\Documents and Settings\User Name and also D:\Documents and Settings\All
Users

to:

C:\Documents and Settings\User Name and also C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users

Where D is the drive letter of the Old Drive [now installed as a second hard
drive on the new PC] and C is the drive letter of you current NEW PC hard
drive.

!