Possible spyware infection

I am currently running windows/xp home edition w/service pac2. I was once
told by a Dell techician upon checking my IP address:

Ethernet Adapter Local area connection: in submask colume, 255.255.0.0.
P.P.P. adapter Verizon: submask, 255.255.255.255. She said that these
numbers represent spyware in the system. They are not supposed to be of the
same sequence of #'s as stated above. Can anyone shed some light on this
matter. and what measures can be taken to get rid of it? Thanks to any valid
help, it would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. I have: CNET PRO200WL FAST ETHERNET ADAPTER
--
Thanks, Phil
2 answers Last reply

    Forget what urban wyths may have been espoused. Basically:

    1. The IP address / subnet mask for most home users is pretty much standard
    if you have set up a small office or home network using XPs Network Setup
    Wizard.

    or

    2. If you use an ethernet cnnection between the PC and DSL or Cable modem,
    then the IP address / subnet mask for that connection is assigned by the ISP.

    To be sure that you are kept free and safe from Spyware, Scumware, Adware or
    whaterver else you wish to call that range of nastieness, get hold of Spybot
    Search and Destroy.

    "Phil" wrote:

    > I am currently running windows/xp home edition w/service pac2. I was once
    > told by a Dell techician upon checking my IP address:
    >
    > Ethernet Adapter Local area connection: in submask colume, 255.255.0.0.
    > P.P.P. adapter Verizon: submask, 255.255.255.255. She said that these
    > numbers represent spyware in the system. They are not supposed to be of the
    > same sequence of #'s as stated above. Can anyone shed some light on this
    > matter. and what measures can be taken to get rid of it? Thanks to any valid
    > help, it would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > p.s. I have: CNET PRO200WL FAST ETHERNET ADAPTER
    > --
    > Thanks, Phil

    Horse hockey.

    [[The subnet mask can be the appropriate subnet mask for an IP network
    address, 255.255.255.255 for a host route, or 0.0.0.0 for the default route.
    If omitted, the subnet mask 255.255.255.255 is used.]]
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/route.mspx

    The default subnet mask for a class A IP network is 255.0.0.0.

    The default subnet mask for a class B is 255.255.0.0.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:BE2BA9EB-7B19-4DB9-8F7A-89D6F595A694@microsoft.com,
    Phil <phil56_@msn.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I am currently running windows/xp home edition w/service pac2. I was once
    > told by a Dell techician upon checking my IP address:
    >
    > Ethernet Adapter Local area connection: in submask colume, 255.255.0.0.
    > P.P.P. adapter Verizon: submask, 255.255.255.255. She said that these
    > numbers represent spyware in the system. They are not supposed to be of
    > the same sequence of #'s as stated above. Can anyone shed some light on
    > this matter. and what measures can be taken to get rid of it? Thanks to
    > any valid help, it would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > p.s. I have: CNET PRO200WL FAST ETHERNET ADAPTER
    > --
    > Thanks, Phil

Ethernet Card Spyware Windows XP