Possible spyware infection

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

I am currently running windows/xp home edition w/service pac2. I was once
told by a Dell techician upon checking my IP address:

Ethernet Adapter Local area connection: in submask colume, 255.255.0.0.
P.P.P. adapter Verizon: submask, 255.255.255.255. She said that these
numbers represent spyware in the system. They are not supposed to be of the
same sequence of #'s as stated above. Can anyone shed some light on this
matter. and what measures can be taken to get rid of it? Thanks to any valid
help, it would be greatly appreciated.

p.s. I have: CNET PRO200WL FAST ETHERNET ADAPTER
--
Thanks, Phil

bar

Forget what urban wyths may have been espoused. Basically:

1. The IP address / subnet mask for most home users is pretty much standard
if you have set up a small office or home network using XPs Network Setup
Wizard.

or

2. If you use an ethernet cnnection between the PC and DSL or Cable modem,
then the IP address / subnet mask for that connection is assigned by the ISP.

To be sure that you are kept free and safe from Spyware, Scumware, Adware or
whaterver else you wish to call that range of nastieness, get hold of Spybot
Search and Destroy.

"Phil" wrote:

> I am currently running windows/xp home edition w/service pac2. I was once
> told by a Dell techician upon checking my IP address:
>
> Ethernet Adapter Local area connection: in submask colume, 255.255.0.0.
> P.P.P. adapter Verizon: submask, 255.255.255.255. She said that these
> numbers represent spyware in the system. They are not supposed to be of the
> same sequence of #'s as stated above. Can anyone shed some light on this
> matter. and what measures can be taken to get rid of it? Thanks to any valid
> help, it would be greatly appreciated.
>
> p.s. I have: CNET PRO200WL FAST ETHERNET ADAPTER
> --
> Thanks, Phil

Horse hockey.

[[The subnet mask can be the appropriate subnet mask for an IP network
address, 255.255.255.255 for a host route, or 0.0.0.0 for the default route.
If omitted, the subnet mask 255.255.255.255 is used.]]
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/route.mspx

The default subnet mask for a class A IP network is 255.0.0.0.

The default subnet mask for a class B is 255.255.0.0.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User