kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
In theory, the X2-256t should however compete in the high-end category alongside the FX 2000 and FX 3000. Consequently, we suspect that ATi has assigned too few resources for its OpenGL driver team.

No comment required.

Quadro baby!

----
RESIDENT FORUM WARRIOR
Support the terrorists, vote democrat

cleeve

Illustrious
Hey! Kinney... now come on...

Price/performance, the X2 does VERY well... only beat out by the Quadro 1100 by a smidge.

Not to mention, the 2000 and 3000 are so expensive they practically qualify as official consumer gouging.

Tell the whole story, you shameless Nvidiot. :)

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Muwahhahahaha.
/rub hands together in anticipation of the NWO (Nvidia World Order)

I may be a shameless bastard, this much is true.
Its not my fault that Quadros are the best line from top to bottom!
:lol:

You must give ATI credit for pricing that thing right though. I'd still go with the Quadro for future driver support (well as it appears, for present-day support as well).

Same cant be said for NV, I was hoping the NV30 boards would go for much less than they did considering the competition. But we did get the 5900 eventually.
Its not all about quality product or pricing either, NV has a huge reputation they sold on for quite some time... they could afford a product cycle that was lackluster (5800esque-era) because of this.

I just dont think that ATI could run in the workstation market on their workstation reputation because its not really enough and ATI apparantly agrees with me.

I love the competition, I was always the biggest 3dfx fanboy forever, since my voodoo1. And others were kyro, s3 or matrox fans and now we have two camps that I'm positive are not going anywhere.
I think that most 3dfx peeps went to NV for blistering speed and software support and the others went to ATI for features.
Alas, the choice is there so many take it.. and it keeps prices down and innovation up.
Even if a few companies get squashed in the meantime due to their own stupidity, Thanks Capitalism!

Though now, ATI is getting more speed and software support than before and NV is vastly improving upon their features.. (just checkout the latest 56.64s, MPEG1-4/WMV support, ect.)

There!
That bit of rant wasnt quite as biased so maybe I've redeemed myself.

edit- some inflammatory content. :evil:

Now he's a liberal.</font color=purple></b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kinney on 03/23/04 12:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

cleeve

Illustrious
Holy crap... you edited out inflammatory content? Bring it on! :)

The 1100 is certainly priced right though, I'll give you that. Very impressive performance at that point, too...

Its not my fault that Quadros are the best line from top to bottom!
Phfft! Wearing blinders my boy!

You forgot to mention the Quadro FX500/600 and how they get decimated by the less expensive T2!
The FX500 SUX!

R9600 core RULZ again! :evil:

It also depends on the system and applications being tested.

The T2 beats the FX2000 some times (never did see it against an FX3000).

Funny thing is that the FX3000 has driver issues (not that ATI doesn) that aren't expressed in 3Dlabs Wildcat series. HAha, drivers not quite as good as you say! :tongue:

Funny thing is there is more competition and fragmentation in this market than the gaming market. 3Dlabs, Ati, Matrox, nV. Seriously it's more application/system specific as to which is the best solution, and that's why Matrox and 3Dlabs can still survive.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
pfft.
You rant about the lower end Quadros but take any ATI and theres a better Quadro out there.

Nuttin wrong with 3dlabs, Matrox!
Or ATI for that matter just they are trounced in this market.

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
can I just give u Eden? He'll lick ur crotch like your old dog, and he's potty trained (somewhat).

SEX is like math. Add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs, and hope you dont multiply

Borsti

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2002
Well, ATI has closed its OpenGL driver development section in Munich/Unterfoehring last year and built up a new one in Canada or US (I´m not sure where it was). Only a few people from the origin team moved over.

Lars

Yeah they moved them to Thronhill Ontario in Canada where their head office is. Some of the staff moved, but many left for other opportunities, including nV.

Here's what I posted about it last year (with the original article from the Inquirer);

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=370089#370089" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=370089#370089</A>

It still makes sense to consolidate all their people into a central spot so they can share inovations, but I'm surprised that they wouldn't move them all to California. The only drawback would be if they were drawing enough innovation from their German talent pool to warrant being so remote from the rest of the software team.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: