Is it too soon to buy an Inspiron 6000?

Greetings,

I am in the market to buy a new notebook computer.

I know the Inspiron 6000 is a new product for Dell. And, I was wondering if
anyone has had some experience with this new product and its components.

I went to a Dell Kiosk and received an estimate for an Inspiron 6000 with:

Pentium M Processor 730 1.6GHz
512MB
15.4 inch WXGA LCD Panel
40GB Hard Drive
Integrated Intel Media Accelerator 900 Graphics
24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive

4 year limited warranty, at-home service and tech support.

The price with tax and shipping is $1,450.

My question is not is this a good price, but is the technology, stability,
integrity, etc. of these components in this notebook something that will
work well together and prove to be a good product. Yes, I have heard people
say do not go out and buy a new product....Wait!! Also, I have heard of
people buying a new product and the product proved to be just fine.

I would like some comments and thoughts.

Thank you in advance.

Leigh
8 answers Last reply
More about inspiron 6000

    Hey,

    I've been looking into the Inspiron 6000 as well. I've done lots of
    looking around on the net and it looks like the current setup dell has
    is just the intro model of the 6000. The talk on the net is that the
    6000 will be available with many more options soon, like a dedicated
    graphics card, the 128mb ATI x300 I think. There will also be other
    improvements like an available 100gb hard drive. And I even heard rumor
    of a multi-card reader and PCexpress card slot being available.

    >From what I can tell, the 6000 is going to be dell's new staple in the
    consumer laptop market. It looks like it'll replace the 5100, 5160 and
    8600. It's got lots of new exciting features, like being based on
    intel's new sonoma chipset. Some people have called it centrino2.
    Anyways, the 6000 models I've seen tested have got excellent battery
    life with the new chipset, around 3 hours with the 6-cell battery. More
    like 4-5 with the 9-cell. I haven't seen hard facts on this, but I
    think they 6000 has the PCI express architecture too. It also has DDR2
    memory which is supposed to run faster using less power then regular
    DDR memory.

    In sum, I think the Inspiron 6000 is the way to go, but it would be a
    good idea to hold off a month or two until dell comes out with more
    options for the 6000.

    Happy hunting,

    Zoo

    Leer wrote:
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I am in the market to buy a new notebook computer.
    >
    > I know the Inspiron 6000 is a new product for Dell. And, I was
    wondering if
    > anyone has had some experience with this new product and its
    components.

    > I went to a Dell Kiosk and received an estimate for an Inspiron 6000
    with:

    > Pentium M Processor 730 1.6GHz
    > 512MB
    > 15.4 inch WXGA LCD Panel
    > 40GB Hard Drive
    > Integrated Intel Media Accelerator 900 Graphics
    > 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
    >
    > 4 year limited warranty, at-home service and tech support.
    >
    > The price with tax and shipping is $1,450.
    >
    > My question is not is this a good price, but is the technology,
    stability,
    > integrity, etc. of these components in this notebook something that
    will
    > work well together and prove to be a good product. Yes, I have heard
    people
    > say do not go out and buy a new product....Wait!! Also, I have heard
    of
    > people buying a new product and the product proved to be just fine.
    >
    > I would like some comments and thoughts.
    >
    > Thank you in advance.
    >
    > Leigh

    Zoo,

    Thanks for your comments and thoughts. I will be watching what Dell offers
    with the new Inspiron 6000 in the coming months.

    Thanks again,

    Leigh

    "Zoo" <coryjhill@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hey,
    >
    > I've been looking into the Inspiron 6000 as well. I've done lots of
    > looking around on the net and it looks like the current setup dell has
    > is just the intro model of the 6000. The talk on the net is that the
    > 6000 will be available with many more options soon, like a dedicated
    > graphics card, the 128mb ATI x300 I think. There will also be other
    > improvements like an available 100gb hard drive. And I even heard rumor
    > of a multi-card reader and PCexpress card slot being available.
    >
    >>From what I can tell, the 6000 is going to be dell's new staple in the
    > consumer laptop market. It looks like it'll replace the 5100, 5160 and
    > 8600. It's got lots of new exciting features, like being based on
    > intel's new sonoma chipset. Some people have called it centrino2.
    > Anyways, the 6000 models I've seen tested have got excellent battery
    > life with the new chipset, around 3 hours with the 6-cell battery. More
    > like 4-5 with the 9-cell. I haven't seen hard facts on this, but I
    > think they 6000 has the PCI express architecture too. It also has DDR2
    > memory which is supposed to run faster using less power then regular
    > DDR memory.
    >
    > In sum, I think the Inspiron 6000 is the way to go, but it would be a
    > good idea to hold off a month or two until dell comes out with more
    > options for the 6000.
    >
    > Happy hunting,
    >
    > Zoo
    >
    > Leer wrote:
    >> Greetings,
    >>
    >> I am in the market to buy a new notebook computer.
    >>
    >> I know the Inspiron 6000 is a new product for Dell. And, I was
    > wondering if
    >> anyone has had some experience with this new product and its
    > components.
    >>
    >> I went to a Dell Kiosk and received an estimate for an Inspiron 6000
    > with:
    >>
    >> Pentium M Processor 730 1.6GHz
    >> 512MB
    >> 15.4 inch WXGA LCD Panel
    >> 40GB Hard Drive
    >> Integrated Intel Media Accelerator 900 Graphics
    >> 24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
    >>
    >> 4 year limited warranty, at-home service and tech support.
    >>
    >> The price with tax and shipping is $1,450.
    >>
    >> My question is not is this a good price, but is the technology,
    > stability,
    >> integrity, etc. of these components in this notebook something that
    > will
    >> work well together and prove to be a good product. Yes, I have heard
    > people
    >> say do not go out and buy a new product....Wait!! Also, I have heard
    > of
    >> people buying a new product and the product proved to be just fine.
    >>
    >> I would like some comments and thoughts.
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance.
    >>
    >> Leigh

    > I would like some comments and thoughts.
    > Leigh

    This was just delivered to me yesterday:

    Dell Inspiron 6000 with:
    Pentium M 730 (1.60 GHZ)
    15.4" WXGA screen
    512MB memory, DDR2,400MHZ
    64MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300
    40GB HARD DRIVE
    8X DVD DRIVE
    INTEL PRO/WRLS 2200,802.11B/G

    I got this all for around $1020 (including tax and shipping). (I had
    waited for a nice deal on this by checking www.gotapex.com daily).

    I wanted to do basic office work (Excel, Word, powerPoint), wireless
    networking (home, hotspots), watch movies (DVDs, DIVX encoded movies
    off the hard drive), and, if at all possible, play Unreal Tournament
    2004.

    This machine does all of these well. What I am most surprised about is
    that Unreal Tournament 2004 actually runs quite well! I really didn't
    have much hope that it would, but with the Pentium M 1.6GHz and the ATI
    X300, it looks great and plays nicely.

    - g

    "Greg Marquez" <gmarquez@mail.com> wrote in news:1110311176.588443.173230
    @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

    >> I would like some comments and thoughts.
    >> Leigh
    >
    > This was just delivered to me yesterday:
    >
    > Dell Inspiron 6000 with:
    > Pentium M 730 (1.60 GHZ)
    > 15.4" WXGA screen
    > 512MB memory, DDR2,400MHZ
    > 64MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300
    > 40GB HARD DRIVE
    > 8X DVD DRIVE
    > INTEL PRO/WRLS 2200,802.11B/G
    >
    > I got this all for around $1020 (including tax and shipping). (I had
    > waited for a nice deal on this by checking www.gotapex.com daily).
    >
    > I wanted to do basic office work (Excel, Word, powerPoint), wireless
    > networking (home, hotspots), watch movies (DVDs, DIVX encoded movies
    > off the hard drive), and, if at all possible, play Unreal Tournament
    > 2004.
    >
    > This machine does all of these well. What I am most surprised about is
    > that Unreal Tournament 2004 actually runs quite well! I really didn't
    > have much hope that it would, but with the Pentium M 1.6GHz and the ATI
    > X300, it looks great and plays nicely.
    >
    > - g

    I saw that sale, too. Do you know when it ends?

    "Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > "Greg Marquez" <gmarquez@mail.com> wrote in news:1110311176.588443.173230
    > @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >>> I would like some comments and thoughts.
    >>> Leigh
    >>
    >> This was just delivered to me yesterday:
    >>
    >> Dell Inspiron 6000 with:
    >> Pentium M 730 (1.60 GHZ)
    >> 15.4" WXGA screen
    >> 512MB memory, DDR2,400MHZ
    >> 64MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300
    >> 40GB HARD DRIVE
    >> 8X DVD DRIVE
    >> INTEL PRO/WRLS 2200,802.11B/G
    >>
    >> I got this all for around $1020 (including tax and shipping). (I had
    >> waited for a nice deal on this by checking www.gotapex.com daily).
    >>
    >> I wanted to do basic office work (Excel, Word, powerPoint), wireless
    >> networking (home, hotspots), watch movies (DVDs, DIVX encoded movies
    >> off the hard drive), and, if at all possible, play Unreal Tournament
    >> 2004.
    >>
    >> This machine does all of these well. What I am most surprised about is
    >> that Unreal Tournament 2004 actually runs quite well! I really didn't
    >> have much hope that it would, but with the Pentium M 1.6GHz and the ATI
    >> X300, it looks great and plays nicely.
    >>
    >> - g
    >>
    > I saw that sale, too. Do you know when it ends?

    I would seriously consider waiting or get a different brand. I ordered my
    fairly basic Inspiron 6000 on February 17, with a planned shipping date of
    February 25. Today, I have received my third notice that shipment will be
    delayed for at least another week. I can't get any straight answer from
    Dell. I could understand if I had ordered a fully loaded notebook where
    there might be a problem with availability of some of the components. I
    ordered the base model with 1.3 GHz. Celeron. I wanted the 40 Gig hard
    drive instead of the 30. The only other options that I chose was the larger
    battery and the Dell internal wireless card. When I ordered it, they had a
    34% price reduction. Maybe the notebook is too popular now and they don't
    want to deliver on that good price.

    I have ordered a number of Dell units over the years and I always had the
    computer within 2 weeks of ordering. I will not cancel my order quite yet,
    but I will start checking out both Gateway and Toshiba tonight.

    > I saw that sale, too. Do you know when it ends?

    Sale ended a while ago, but they are constantly putting on slae many
    variations (pay extra for this, but get that free, etc.)

    Check www.gotapex.com daily, then snap it up when they have the options
    you want.

    If you want to play games, get at least the ATI x300 64MB graphics
    option.

    Still loving mine, works quite well with the Belkin "Pre-N" wireless
    router I have.

    Also, there are multiple settings for different subsystems depending if
    you are in battery mode or not...one of the settings is for the screen
    briteness, which is normally set for too low when in battery mode.
    Make sure to set this too your liking.

    - g

    Keep in mind that a Pentium M is actually running about equal to a Pentium 4
    at 2.6-3.0 GHz (because of the cache).

    "Greg Marquez" <gmarquez@mail.com> wrote in news:1110830747.453584.171170
    @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

    >> I saw that sale, too. Do you know when it ends?
    >
    > Sale ended a while ago, but they are constantly putting on slae many
    > variations (pay extra for this, but get that free, etc.)
    >
    > Check www.gotapex.com daily, then snap it up when they have the options
    > you want.
    >
    > If you want to play games, get at least the ATI x300 64MB graphics
    > option.
    >
    > Still loving mine, works quite well with the Belkin "Pre-N" wireless
    > router I have.
    >
    > Also, there are multiple settings for different subsystems depending if
    > you are in battery mode or not...one of the settings is for the screen
    > briteness, which is normally set for too low when in battery mode.
    > Make sure to set this too your liking.
    >
    > - g

    I decided to purchase the configuration below, the i6000d. The price was
    just too good to pass up and hope that a better deal came along. So far,
    it hasn't been any cheaper. Closest was about $250 more than what I paid.

    It's very nice, but the screen isn't as sharp as my i8600 15.4" Ultra Sharp
    WXGA. It is heavy, but it's a desktop replacement for my daughter. It was
    delivered in six days.

    Inspiron 6000
    Intel® Pentium® M Processor 715 (1.50 GHz/2MB Cache/400MHz FSB), Microsoft®
    Windows® XP Home Qty: 1
    Unit Price: $1,813.00
    Inspiron 6000D Intel® Pentium® M Processor 715 (1.50 GHz/2MB Cache/400MHz
    FSB)
    Display 15.4 inch WXGA LCD Panel 15XGA
    Memory FREE Upgrade! 512MB DDR2 SDRAM 2 Dimms 512MB2P
    Video Card 64MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY™ RADEON X300 PCI Express x16 Graphics
    64ATI
    Hard Drive 60GB Hard Drive 60GB
    Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
    Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
    Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
    Combo/DVD+RW Drives 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer write
    capability 8XDVDRW
    Wireless Networking Cards Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200 Internal Wireless
    (802.11 b/g, 54Mbps)
    Bundled Software Microsoft® Works Suite - Includes Word 2002, Streets &
    Trips 2004
    Digital Music Dell Jukebox - easy-to-use music player and CD burning
    software
    Battery 9-cell Lithium Ion Battery (80 WHr)
    Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options 2Yr Ltd Warranty, 2Yr At-
    Home Service, and 2Yr Technical Support
    Digital Imaging Paint Shop™ Pro® Studio trial, Photo Album™ Starter Edition
    QuickSnap Replaceable Color Covers Carbon Fiber QuickSnap™ Cover
    Dell Media Experience Dell Media Experience™
    Dell Home Customers: Save 30% off Dell Inspiron 6000!
    Expires on 2005-03-10 06:59:59 - $543.90
    ADDITIONAL DISCOUNTS AND COUPONS
    Dell Home Customers: FREE 2nd day shipping with purchase of ANY new Dell
    Home Systems Notebook! Limited time offer.
    Expires on 2005-03-10 06:59:59 - $59.00
    Sub-Total $1,269.10
    Shipping Discount -$59.00
    Shipping $0.00