Computer restarts in the middle of loading XP

April 16, 2005 3:53:02 PM

Hi, I've been having some trouble lately with my computer suddenly
restarting. At one point, it gives me the choice of choosing to start Windows
in Safe Mode or Normally. I've tried both, but my computer suddenly restarts
in the middle of XP's loading. I can see a blue screen pop up for a
split-second (I can't read anything in the time that I can see it), then the
system restarts. It keeps doing this. I've also been having some IDE errors,
as it says that the display controller is "NA", although I'm not sure what
this means. I have a feeling it's linked to why my system won't start. Any
help would be greatly appreciated.
April 16, 2005 4:01:02 PM

I also forgot to mention that it said ntoskrnl.exe was corrupt. Sometimes it
says that, sometimes it doesn't.
April 16, 2005 4:54:02 PM

Sudden restarts and 'false' error messages such as described by yourself, in
my experience relate to either of two issues.

1. The hard drive 'swap' file is being corrupted. This could be caused by
a faulty hard drive or faulty hard drive controller.

or

2. Faulty memory module. Which in turn corrupt data when stored or
retrieved.

If you have more than one memory module: then pull one out and run on the
other for a while: if and when the system has a BSOD, then swap it with the
other in the machine. If you get a BSOD again, then consider that the memory
may be OK and that you need to run hard disk diagnostics.

You may be able to find some diagnostic application for YOUR hard drive on
the manufacturer's web pages.

"TOH" wrote:

> I also forgot to mention that it said ntoskrnl.exe was corrupt. Sometimes it
> says that, sometimes it doesn't.
April 16, 2005 5:08:02 PM

Well, I'm not exactly getting a BSOD, because from what I can see of it, it
just flashes blue with some white text aligned on the left side of the
screen. Not the kind of BSOD I think you're thinking of.

Also, I don't believe I can run the diagnostic tool as I can't even start
Windows to be able to run it. I use a Seagate hard drive and their site has a
tool that is supposed to work with most Seagate drives.

!