What happened to Notepad?

I am using XP Home and have installed SP1 and SP2. System is current on
Windows updates.

I can see notepad.exe in the file list in C:\Windows
I can see notepad.exe in the file list in C:\Windows\System32
I can access the icon using Start/programs/accessories/notepad
and checking the properties at that point indicates the following

Target %systemroot%\system32\notepad.exe
Start in %homedrive%%homepath%

Whenever I try to open notepad I get the icon in the taskbar but nothing
else
If I try to open a .txt file I get the same result
If I try to open the same text file in word pad the file opens properly

Any help would be greatly appreciated
8 answers Last reply
More about what happened notepad

    Go to accessories,R.click on tools,open,in the new window,R.click any
    open space,new,shortcut.In the location field window,type:C:WINDOWS\
    system32\notepad.exe
    You could/might also,install xp cd,exit the info page,then go to run,type:cmd
    In cmd type:Sfc /Scannow When its thru,type:CHKDSK C: /F Agree to restart,
    then type:EXIT Remove xp cd,restart computer.

    "Bob Nadon" wrote:

    > I am using XP Home and have installed SP1 and SP2. System is current on
    > Windows updates.
    >
    > I can see notepad.exe in the file list in C:\Windows
    > I can see notepad.exe in the file list in C:\Windows\System32
    > I can access the icon using Start/programs/accessories/notepad
    > and checking the properties at that point indicates the following
    >
    > Target %systemroot%\system32\notepad.exe
    > Start in %homedrive%%homepath%
    >
    > Whenever I try to open notepad I get the icon in the taskbar but nothing
    > else
    > If I try to open a .txt file I get the same result
    > If I try to open the same text file in word pad the file opens properly
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated

    Run a virus check and the mircrosoft anti spyware software. I had
    something similiar a while back.

    On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 15:21:56 -0400, "Bob Nadon" <bobnadon@kos.net>
    wrote:

    >I am using XP Home and have installed SP1 and SP2. System is current on
    >Windows updates.
    >
    >I can see notepad.exe in the file list in C:\Windows
    >I can see notepad.exe in the file list in C:\Windows\System32
    >I can access the icon using Start/programs/accessories/notepad
    > and checking the properties at that point indicates the following
    >
    > Target %systemroot%\system32\notepad.exe
    > Start in %homedrive%%homepath%
    >
    >Whenever I try to open notepad I get the icon in the taskbar but nothing
    >else
    >If I try to open a .txt file I get the same result
    >If I try to open the same text file in word pad the file opens properly
    >
    >Any help would be greatly appreciated

    Might also be that the notepad window was moved off of the desktop, like into
    the space a second monitor would use. Go into your desktop settings and see
    if you have a second monitor turned on and disable it if it is. Any windows
    in its space should move over to your primary monitor.

    "JP" wrote:

    > Run a virus check and the mircrosoft anti spyware software. I had
    > something similiar a while back.
    >

    > On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 15:21:56 -0400, "Bob Nadon" <bobnadon@kos.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I am using XP Home and have installed SP1 and SP2. System is current on
    > >Windows updates.
    > >
    > >I can see notepad.exe in the file list in C:\Windows
    > >I can see notepad.exe in the file list in C:\Windows\System32
    > >I can access the icon using Start/programs/accessories/notepad
    > > and checking the properties at that point indicates the following
    > >
    > > Target %systemroot%\system32\notepad.exe
    > > Start in %homedrive%%homepath%
    > >
    > >Whenever I try to open notepad I get the icon in the taskbar but nothing
    > >else
    > >If I try to open a .txt file I get the same result
    > >If I try to open the same text file in word pad the file opens properly
    > >
    > >Any help would be greatly appreciated

    Many thanks for yoyr thoughts. Unfortunately none of them worked. For the
    mean time I have associated .txt files to be opened with wordpad. I can
    live with that.

    Thank you

    "Bob Nadon" <bobnadon@kos.net> wrote in message
    >I am using XP Home and have installed SP1 and SP2. System is current on
    >Windows updates.
    >
    > I can see notepad.exe in the file list in C:\Windows
    > I can see notepad.exe in the file list in C:\Windows\System32
    > I can access the icon using Start/programs/accessories/notepad
    > and checking the properties at that point indicates the following
    >
    > Target %systemroot%\system32\notepad.exe
    > Start in %homedrive%%homepath%
    >
    > Whenever I try to open notepad I get the icon in the taskbar but nothing
    > else
    > If I try to open a .txt file I get the same result
    > If I try to open the same text file in word pad the file opens properly
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated

    Should have picked up on this as soon as I read JP's reply. I had recently
    installed a new video card and sure enough notepad was on the other monitor.

    Many thanks JP. Thanks also to the others for their thoughts.

    Bob Nadon

    "Aaron" <Aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Might also be that the notepad window was moved off of the desktop, like
    > into
    > the space a second monitor would use. Go into your desktop settings and
    > see
    > if you have a second monitor turned on and disable it if it is. Any
    > windows
    > in its space should move over to your primary monitor.
    >
    > "JP" wrote:
    >
    >> Run a virus check and the mircrosoft anti spyware software. I had
    >> something similiar a while back.
    >>

    >> On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 15:21:56 -0400, "Bob Nadon" <bobnadon@kos.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I am using XP Home and have installed SP1 and SP2. System is current on
    >> >Windows updates.
    >> >
    >> >I can see notepad.exe in the file list in C:\Windows
    >> >I can see notepad.exe in the file list in C:\Windows\System32
    >> >I can access the icon using Start/programs/accessories/notepad
    >> > and checking the properties at that point indicates the
    >> > following
    >> >
    >> > Target %systemroot%\system32\notepad.exe
    >> > Start in %homedrive%%homepath%
    >> >
    >> >Whenever I try to open notepad I get the icon in the taskbar but nothing
    >> >else
    >> >If I try to open a .txt file I get the same result
    >> >If I try to open the same text file in word pad the file opens properly
    >> >
    >> >Any help would be greatly appreciated

    hellsapoppin

    "Bob Nadon" wrote:

    > I am using XP Home and have installed SP1 and SP2. System is current on
    > Windows updates.
    >
    > I can see notepad.exe in the file list in C:\Windows
    > I can see notepad.exe in the file list in C:\Windows\System32
    > I can access the icon using Start/programs/accessories/notepad
    > and checking the properties at that point indicates the following
    >
    > Target %systemroot%\system32\notepad.exe
    > Start in %homedrive%%homepath%
    >
    > Whenever I try to open notepad I get the icon in the taskbar but nothing
    > else
    > If I try to open a .txt file I get the same result
    > If I try to open the same text file in word pad the file opens properly
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated

    note pad has disappeared from my accessories list and I was wondering if I
    could just reinstall it. I'm, awfully computer ignorant
    --
    hellsapoppin

    "Bob Nadon" wrote:

    > I am using XP Home and have installed SP1 and SP2. System is current on
    > Windows updates.
    >
    > I can see notepad.exe in the file list in C:\Windows
    > I can see notepad.exe in the file list in C:\Windows\System32
    > I can access the icon using Start/programs/accessories/notepad
    > and checking the properties at that point indicates the following
    >
    > Target %systemroot%\system32\notepad.exe
    > Start in %homedrive%%homepath%
    >
    > Whenever I try to open notepad I get the icon in the taskbar but nothing
    > else
    > If I try to open a .txt file I get the same result
    > If I try to open the same text file in word pad the file opens properly
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated

    Mike,

    Create a shortcut to the following, and place in your Accessories folder:
    Calculator - c:\windows\system32\calc.exe
    MS Paint - c:\windows\system32\mspaint.exe

    Restore the items in Accessories and System Tools:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/accessories.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "jughead1" <jughead1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > note pad has disappeared from my accessories list and I was wondering if I
    > could just reinstall it. I'm, awfully computer ignorant
    > --
    > hellsapoppin
    >

    > "Bob Nadon" wrote:
    >
    >> I am using XP Home and have installed SP1 and SP2. System is current on
    >> Windows updates.
    >>
    >> I can see notepad.exe in the file list in C:\Windows
    >> I can see notepad.exe in the file list in C:\Windows\System32
    >> I can access the icon using Start/programs/accessories/notepad
    >> and checking the properties at that point indicates the following
    >>
    >> Target %systemroot%\system32\notepad.exe
    >> Start in %homedrive%%homepath%
    >>
    >> Whenever I try to open notepad I get the icon in the taskbar but nothing
    >> else
    >> If I try to open a .txt file I get the same result
    >> If I try to open the same text file in word pad the file opens properly
    >>
    >> Any help would be greatly appreciated

Notepad Microsoft Windows XP