Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Regional Settings problem

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 12:43:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

I've got WinXP pro SP2 and I've got a problem I've never seen before. If
I go into 'Regional and Language Options' and then 'Customize' it will
not let me save any alterations. It says "One or more of the characters
you typed are invalid. Try typing different characters". The thing is,
this happens even if I type exactly the same character that's already
in there, or even pick something from one of the drop down menus. It
happens in all four tabs, 'Numbers', 'Currency', 'Time', and 'Date'. I
end up having to cancel my way out of it.

Now if I create a new user it works perfectly logging in under that new
user, so I imagine the prog that does the creating is okay. I have tried
changing language settings to and from my normal language, rebooting in
between, but it makes no difference. It still comes up with the same
message.

I was originally alerted to this problem by installing a program that
came straight back and said my short date order was incorrect and
promptly aborted. It continues to refuse to run until I put the date
setting right. If I run it under a new user it works perfectly. But I'd
really rather not have multiple users just to overcome this problem. I
want to find out what's wrong and put it right.

Am I right in thinking that there is a config file somewhere that holds
this info that is corrupted somewhere, somehow? If so, would renaming
it, or deleting it force Windows to create a new, healthy file?

Cheers for any help offered.

Regards

Mark
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 12:43:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

[[This issue can occur if the following registry key is missing:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International ]]

Error Message: One or More of the Characters You Typed in this Field Are
Invalid. Try Typing Different...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q250449/

WD: How to Set a Default DATE Field Format in Word
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/134910/EN-US/

Cannot Set Separator in Regional Settings Tool to Null
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;169234

Cannot Change Time Style Setting
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;168069

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:42616AF9.781E@rbgkew.org.uk,
Mark A <m.annetts-nospam@rbgkew.org.uk> hunted and pecked:
> Hi,
>
> I've got WinXP pro SP2 and I've got a problem I've never seen before. If
> I go into 'Regional and Language Options' and then 'Customize' it will
> not let me save any alterations. It says "One or more of the characters
> you typed are invalid. Try typing different characters". The thing is,
> this happens even if I type exactly the same character that's already
> in there, or even pick something from one of the drop down menus. It
> happens in all four tabs, 'Numbers', 'Currency', 'Time', and 'Date'. I
> end up having to cancel my way out of it.
>
> Now if I create a new user it works perfectly logging in under that new
> user, so I imagine the prog that does the creating is okay. I have tried
> changing language settings to and from my normal language, rebooting in
> between, but it makes no difference. It still comes up with the same
> message.
>
> I was originally alerted to this problem by installing a program that
> came straight back and said my short date order was incorrect and
> promptly aborted. It continues to refuse to run until I put the date
> setting right. If I run it under a new user it works perfectly. But I'd
> really rather not have multiple users just to overcome this problem. I
> want to find out what's wrong and put it right.
>
> Am I right in thinking that there is a config file somewhere that holds
> this info that is corrupted somewhere, somehow? If so, would renaming
> it, or deleting it force Windows to create a new, healthy file?
>
> Cheers for any help offered.
>
> Regards
>
> Mark
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 2:38:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Wesley Vogel wrote:
>
> [[This issue can occur if the following registry key is missing:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International ]]
>
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes


Thank you, thank you, thank you, Wes! That's been bothering me for
months and I've searched and searched for an answer all over Microsoft's
site, but never with any luck.

I logged in as both my normal user, and then as Administrator, and sure
enough the 'International' key was missing from my normal registry, but
was there in the Admin's. So I exported the key and double-clicked it
into my normal user registry. Rebooted and hey-presto I could edit my
'Customize' settings again! And even better, the refusenic program
obliged by running without a murmur.

Man, that's such a relief. Thanks once again.

Now the next question is, why on earth was that key missing from my
normal user registry?

Regards

Mark
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 2:38:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Mark,

Beats me why that key would disappear.

I have posted this twice. The first time I didn't believe it would help,
but it did. None of the KB articles even apply to XP. None of them come up
in a KB Search for XP. Hmm..

Glad it worked out for you. :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:426185C4.28C1@rbgkew.org.uk,
Mark A <m.annetts-nospam@rbgkew.org.uk> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley Vogel wrote:
>>
>> [[This issue can occur if the following registry key is missing:
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\International ]]
>>
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>
>
> Thank you, thank you, thank you, Wes! That's been bothering me for
> months and I've searched and searched for an answer all over Microsoft's
> site, but never with any luck.
>
> I logged in as both my normal user, and then as Administrator, and sure
> enough the 'International' key was missing from my normal registry, but
> was there in the Admin's. So I exported the key and double-clicked it
> into my normal user registry. Rebooted and hey-presto I could edit my
> 'Customize' settings again! And even better, the refusenic program
> obliged by running without a murmur.
>
> Man, that's such a relief. Thanks once again.
>
> Now the next question is, why on earth was that key missing from my
> normal user registry?
>
> Regards
>
> Mark
!