Acer aspire problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonestar1ej

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
Hello,
is it possible to get my hands on a reboot disc for my sons acer aspire 7315 series. It was bought with windows 7 on it and in his wisdom downloaded the beta version of windows 8 without reading the full instructions !!!! he now needs to restore to factory settings but dows not have a system restore disc? any Ideas

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
First, I would try the recovery procedure using the default system image from the RECOVERY PARTITION of the hard disk drive. That is, if it wasn't erased during the Windows 8 installation, but I don't see any reason why it should have been.

If it is indeed deleted, then you could borrow or download a Windows 7 installation disk, and use it with the key on the sticker at the back side of the laptop. Of course this requires to download and install all the drivers, but they are available from the Acer support site.

Or alternatively, you can order the recovery disk from Acer for a fee (I haven't tried this, and I have no actual info on this, but usually this is the case).

If the system is in warranty, try to get a disk set from Acer, but try to avoid saying this happened because you were trying beta software.

Using any Windows 7 disk may not work, you would have to find an OEM version of the software of your license key may not work.

lonestar1ej

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012

Thank you for replying - i would appreciate if you could help me a little bit more - do you have a sort of step by step g uide to doing this - i have spokeb to Acer and they will supply a disk but that would cost £51 !!!!

Many thanks

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Please watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmVT0Z9r6_Q
Do you have that "D2D Recovery" enabled in BIOS?
If you hold the Alt key and press the F10 key simultaneously/repeatedly at startup (when the first flash screen appears), does the eRecovery screen come up?

I've checked out the user guide downloaded from the product support page, but it's just a "Generic User Guide", which has some information about an eRecovery software, which makes it possible to create recovery disks and initiate the recovery to default, but it's a Windows software, and it doesn't seem to be offered for download from the product support page.

Our goal here is to find out, if your model has the built-in recovery software, which can be initiated by pressing a key combination at startup.

If the above wouldn't work for some reason, I'd like to obtain some more information of the current situation: if the Windows 8 is usable now, you could check if you actually have the (hidden) recovery partition, by taking a look at the Disk Management screen. Here's how to open it: http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=faq-Windows-8&faq=9
If you're not sure, what to look for, you could create a screenshot and put it here.

lonestar1ej

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012

THANK YOU

Hi at long last i managed to get onto the computer last night - i followed your instructions in the video and beleive it or not all is now working absolutely brilliant :) He now has a computer which starts up fast and has loads of free space - we then reinstalled all the saved stuff from his external HD.

Thank you so much for your help - without it i would have been forking out at least £50 thanks again

xx

Status
Not open for further replies.