USB No longer recognizes portable storage devices

peter

All of a sudden, windows XP dosen't recognize my portable storage devices
(Maxtor usb hard drive, lexor jump drive or pentax digital camera). Devices
used to work and still work on my lap top. Have tried trouble shooting; have
uninstalled all usb drivers and rebooted several times. Have performed system
restore several times. Constantly get "usb device not recognized" message on
all devices. Can anyone help?

Peter, did you go into Device Manager>USB Controllers rt click on each one
and choose Uninstall. Then restart and let XP
reload them?