cannot display video mode

April 16, 2005 9:34:01 PM

kids changed display settings on the computer and I can't get anything to
come up on the screen except the message "cannot display video mode". How
can I fix this?

More about : display video mode

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 12:10:36 AM

Did the little darlings get into the Windows display settings or did they
fool with the actual settings on the monitor? Make sure all the settings
you can access through the monitor itself are set at the center of their
respective ranges. If this still leaves you with no display, boot to safe
mode and check the Windows display settings there.

"heather2212" <heather2212@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> kids changed display settings on the computer and I can't get anything to
> come up on the screen except the message "cannot display video mode".
How
> can I fix this?
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 7:28:38 AM

Heather, tap F8 repeatedly on Startup until you get a Menu. Select Safe
Mode. If WinXP loads Ok rt click on Desktop
and choose Properties>Settings. Move the Slider left all the way under
Screen Resolution. It should say 800x600. Click
on Apply Ok. Restart. If XP doesnt load then restart and follow the
same procedure except from the Menu choose
Safe Mode with VGA or something like that.
"heather2212" <heather2212@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> kids changed display settings on the computer and I can't get anything to
> come up on the screen except the message "cannot display video mode".
> How
> can I fix this?
April 17, 2005 7:51:08 AM

It was the windows settings and I've booted to safe mode and changed the
settings there but it's still bringing up the same message every time I
restart normally

"Kevin" wrote:

> Did the little darlings get into the Windows display settings or did they
> fool with the actual settings on the monitor? Make sure all the settings
> you can access through the monitor itself are set at the center of their
> respective ranges. If this still leaves you with no display, boot to safe
> mode and check the Windows display settings there.
>
> "heather2212" <heather2212@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > kids changed display settings on the computer and I can't get anything to
> > come up on the screen except the message "cannot display video mode".
> How
> > can I fix this?

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 1:05:26 PM

Boot into Safe Mode (or VGA mode) and reset the display settings to
defaults.

A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315222

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User