cannot display video mode

kids changed display settings on the computer and I can't get anything to
come up on the screen except the message "cannot display video mode". How
can I fix this?
4 answers Last reply
More about cannot display video mode

    Did the little darlings get into the Windows display settings or did they
    fool with the actual settings on the monitor? Make sure all the settings
    you can access through the monitor itself are set at the center of their
    respective ranges. If this still leaves you with no display, boot to safe
    mode and check the Windows display settings there.

    "heather2212" <heather2212@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > kids changed display settings on the computer and I can't get anything to
    > come up on the screen except the message "cannot display video mode".
    How
    > can I fix this?

    Heather, tap F8 repeatedly on Startup until you get a Menu. Select Safe
    Mode. If WinXP loads Ok rt click on Desktop
    and choose Properties>Settings. Move the Slider left all the way under
    Screen Resolution. It should say 800x600. Click
    on Apply Ok. Restart. If XP doesnt load then restart and follow the
    same procedure except from the Menu choose
    Safe Mode with VGA or something like that.
    "heather2212" <heather2212@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > kids changed display settings on the computer and I can't get anything to
    > come up on the screen except the message "cannot display video mode".
    > How
    > can I fix this?

    It was the windows settings and I've booted to safe mode and changed the
    settings there but it's still bringing up the same message every time I
    restart normally

    "Kevin" wrote:

    > Did the little darlings get into the Windows display settings or did they
    > fool with the actual settings on the monitor? Make sure all the settings
    > you can access through the monitor itself are set at the center of their
    > respective ranges. If this still leaves you with no display, boot to safe
    > mode and check the Windows display settings there.
    >
    > "heather2212" <heather2212@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > kids changed display settings on the computer and I can't get anything to
    > > come up on the screen except the message "cannot display video mode".
    > How
    > > can I fix this?

    Boot into Safe Mode (or VGA mode) and reset the display settings to
    defaults.

    A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315222

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "heather2212" <heather2212@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > kids changed display settings on the computer and I can't get anything to
    > come up on the screen except the message "cannot display video mode".
    > How
    > can I fix this?

Support Video Microsoft Windows XP Displays