Wrong Max BTU figure on Dell 8400 details page...

Just stumbled across something I thought I'd share. The "Power"
section of the Dell 8400 Details page:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/dimen_8400?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

says:

Heat Dissipation: 460.7 BTU/hour (fully loaded computer without monitor)

The Specifications section of the 8400 Service Manual:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/SM/specs.htm?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

says, *for the DC power supply*:

Heat Dissipation: 460.7 BTU/hr

The 8400 Environmental Data Sheet:

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/corporate/environ/Dim_8400.pdf

lists minimum and maxium BTUs/hr for a test box based on the P4 530:

Maximum: 537.90 BTU/hr
Minimum: 475.65 BTU/hr

So, it looks like the 8400 Details page figure is just for the power supply rather
than the whole box.

For comparison purposes, the 4700 Details page says:

Heat Dissipation: 853 BTU/hour (fully loaded - w/o monitor)

the 4700 Service Manual Specifications say, for the power supply:

Heat Dissipation: 434.6 BTU/hr

and the 4700 Environment Data sheet lists figures for a P4 550 based
test box:

Maximum: 628.70 BTU/hr.
Minimum: 358.11 BTU/hr

The folks at Dell were hoping they could trick us...but they didn't count on
'eagle eyes' User N, did they?

Ted Zieglar

"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message news:FYoOd.1$RS2.932979@news.sisna.com...
> The folks at Dell were hoping they could trick us...but they didn't count on
> 'eagle eyes' User N, did they?

I wish I got amazing powers of observation. Or a grand computer
to prop up my mortal remains. By truth told, it simply didn't seem
quite right that a BTU figure I found for my Dimension 4100 was
much higher than that first BTU figure for the 8400.

In any case, those Kill A Watt meters are pretty cheap ($30-$40
delivered) and maybe that is a better way to get to the bottom of
things :)

Latest posts