Correcting mispelled name on folders

April 17, 2005 12:39:38 PM

When XP was installed in appears that my wife's name was misspelled with the
result that name appears incorrectly on folders in My Documents etc. when
viewed in Explorer. I tried right clicking folder & renaming it but it say
it's a system file & can't be changed. Is there any way to correct this?
--
Thanks in advance
April 17, 2005 12:39:39 PM

Hi ... I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but if you go to the
following >>> start bottom >> control panel >>> click " User Accounts " Now
see if you see your wife name listed , If so ? Just click on it and , Then
click change name option

"Videot" <notathome@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> When XP was installed in appears that my wife's name was misspelled with
> the result that name appears incorrectly on folders in My Documents etc.
> when viewed in Explorer. I tried right clicking folder & renaming it but
> it say it's a system file & can't be changed. Is there any way to
> correct this?
> --
> Thanks in advance

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 12:39:39 PM

"Videot" <notathome@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> When XP was installed in appears that my wife's name was misspelled
> with the result that name appears incorrectly on folders in My
> Documents etc. when viewed in Explorer. I tried right clicking folder
> & renaming it but it say it's a system file & can't be changed. Is
> there any way to correct this?
> --
> Thanks in advance

No you cannot change the folder's name of your Wife's account under
Documents and Settings.

You can always create a new account for her with her correct user name
then transfer files to her new account by using the File and Setting
Transfer Wizard (FAST). You must log into her old account and back up
her files and settings using FAST then log onto her new account and
restore her files and setting using the FAST.

--
William
April 17, 2005 12:39:40 PM

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Videot" <notathome@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> When XP was installed in appears that my wife's name was misspelled
>> with the result that name appears incorrectly on folders in My
>> Documents etc. when viewed in Explorer. I tried right clicking
>> folder & renaming it but it say it's a system file & can't be
>> changed. Is there any way to correct this?
>> --
>> Thanks in advance
>>

> No you cannot change the folder's name of your Wife's account under
> Documents and Settings.
>
> You can always create a new account for her with her correct user name
> then transfer files to her new account by using the File and Setting
> Transfer Wizard (FAST). You must log into her old account and back up
> her files and settings using FAST then log onto her new account and
> restore her files and setting using the FAST.

If her user name is incorrect, then you can use User Accounts in the
Control Panel to change her user name.

--
William
Anonymous

Videot wrote:
> When XP was installed in appears that my wife's name was misspelled with the
> result that name appears incorrectly on folders in My Documents etc. when
> viewed in Explorer. I tried right clicking folder & renaming it but it say
> it's a system file & can't be changed. Is there any way to correct this?

The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
_cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 2:11:39 PM

If I did this what happens with the old accounts files like email etc.. are
they lost or are they still available.

!