nVidia X Radeon

AJB

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2004
Hi guys, I know this issue keeps coming all the times, but I really didn´t make up my mind about it. I have a P4 2.4 ASUS P4533-E 1GHz RAM and a GF4 Ti 4400. The only game I play (and play a lot) is the Nascar Racing 2003. Actually I´m not very happy with the quality of the images of the game. I play in 1200x1024 and get around 35-40 FPS, but image does not seem smooth and sharp. I decided to moove to a new generation graphic board and I´m thinking about buying a RADEON 9800PRO. Talking to one of my team mates I was told that nVidia boards would give me better FPS than RADEON, but the image quality of hte RADEON should be better.
So, my question is: Is there some kind of optimization in this game that would make me regret if I moove to a RADEON? RADEON will give me a better image quality but I will loss some FPS?
Thanks for helping me guys

lik

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2004
The 9800 Pro will give you more Fps than a Fx. And the Radeon will give you best gameplay that the 5900U. You would have to go for the 5950U to get that smoothness in games and the price gap is huge.
Go for it! But avoid 3d-club, Powercolor and things like that! Shaphyre is the best brand around considering its price. They build the Ati cards to.

P4-2800->FSB800, Asus P4P800, 512DDR-400, Radeon 9800 Pro - 128Mb

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
What he says. I, like you, was using a G4 Ti nVidia card, which i think was the best card of that generation. IMHO ATI has the best in this generation so I switched to ATI and have been happy with it. No problems.

The recommendation for the 9800 pro is a good one. I plan on upgarding to it from 9600 pro very soon. The price of the 9800pro (approx $200 now) is just too good to pass up

Barton 2500+
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
9600 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win98SE

AJB

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2004
Thanks for the answers. That´s what I was thinking too. And you kind answered my other doubt about Sapphire cards. I was wondering if the lower price was about lower quality...
Thanks again

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
nope, the 9800pro is faster than the 5950 in alot of areas ... and its cheaper, so yea. better image quality, most will agree altho some will argue the other way due to personal preference

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
oh yes and sapphire is a good company.. ive heard that they make ATI's own boards

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

Not the RV380 and R42X series though, that goes to ASUS. Guess ATI didn't like Sapphire's quality. :evil:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
There wasn't really anything wrong with the Sapphire boards, though, right? And will Sapphire keep making ATi boards at all?

AHHH <b>MOTHERLAND!!!!!</b>

I was kidding about Sapphire, I don't think ATI had any problem with them, just looking for alternates.

There was a time when VisionTek was slated to take over alot of ATI's board making, but that appears not to have happened. ASUS did produced ATI's reference RV380 board for CeBIT and is supposedly making the BBA R420 boards, but I have no idea if that is an exclusive thing, info is ultra tight as you all already know.

There's nothing wrong with Sapphire's boards, I wouldn't be surprised if this actually free's up Sapphire to produce boards the way they want for other people, like Crucial. Of course it is a nice marquee item to say, hey we make ATI's cards. But I doubt it will hurt their public image much, as really only the enthusiast market knows about that for the most part, and really we (if I can include myself among that group :wink: ) don't care, as long as the boards are good quality and good overclockers; knowledge of which only comes with time, and the experiences of others.

I love my BBA R9600P; and whether it's built by Sapphire or not, would recommend the card to others. Now by the same token if I had a BBA R9600XT my views may be different, but that would have less to do with ATI/Sapphire than the parts on the board and what I can do with them.

PErsonally I hate Sapphire's R9600Pro atlantis line (due to the wide variety of memory modules), but if they make the BBA R9600P, then obviously they make a damn good card too (somewhat similar to their Fireblade edition).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: