Computer will not do anything!

I went to uninstall and reinstall Windows XP and when I tried to reinstall
with the boot disc it told me a file could not be found, and then it
restarted itself. Since then, when I turn the computer on, it won't do
anything. It sounds like it's on, but it doesn't beep like it usually did on
startup after the memory test and it just won't do anything. I've tried
different kinds of RAM and am getting fed up, and have no idea what to do.
HELP!!!
5 answers Last reply
More about computer anything

    How did you "uninstall" XP? How did you attempt to "reinstall" XP? Does
    your computer boot to Safe Mode?

    "xjennersonx" <xjennersonx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I went to uninstall and reinstall Windows XP and when I tried to reinstall
    > with the boot disc it told me a file could not be found, and then it
    > restarted itself. Since then, when I turn the computer on, it won't do
    > anything. It sounds like it's on, but it doesn't beep like it usually did
    on
    > startup after the memory test and it just won't do anything. I've tried
    > different kinds of RAM and am getting fed up, and have no idea what to do.
    > HELP!!!

    Do you mean WinXP CD when you say Boot Disc. You have to set the cdrom
    drive as first boot device in Bios. To get
    there you usually tap the delete button on Startup. Your computer
    manual will have that info.
    "xjennersonx" <xjennersonx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I went to uninstall and reinstall Windows XP and when I tried to reinstall
    > with the boot disc it told me a file could not be found, and then it
    > restarted itself. Since then, when I turn the computer on, it won't do
    > anything. It sounds like it's on, but it doesn't beep like it usually did
    > on
    > startup after the memory test and it just won't do anything. I've tried
    > different kinds of RAM and am getting fed up, and have no idea what to do.
    > HELP!!!

    Yes I mean the WinXP CD. It will not even run Bios. It won't do anything but
    sound like it's running when the power is on.

    "Rich Barry" wrote:

    > Do you mean WinXP CD when you say Boot Disc. You have to set the cdrom
    > drive as first boot device in Bios. To get
    > there you usually tap the delete button on Startup. Your computer
    > manual will have that info.
    > "xjennersonx" <xjennersonx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I went to uninstall and reinstall Windows XP and when I tried to reinstall
    > > with the boot disc it told me a file could not be found, and then it
    > > restarted itself. Since then, when I turn the computer on, it won't do
    > > anything. It sounds like it's on, but it doesn't beep like it usually did
    > > on
    > > startup after the memory test and it just won't do anything. I've tried
    > > different kinds of RAM and am getting fed up, and have no idea what to do.
    > > HELP!!!

    Sounds like you have a serious PC issue if the sytem will not load BIOS and
    allow you to get to the setup menu.

    Given your explanation of events, you were previously able to get through
    BIOS and even complete Power on Self Test [POST] and also load from the XP CD.

    So what happened?

    One should find that if BIOS is set correctly, then you can boot off the XP
    installation CD. Once it boots up one can select to install XP and
    subsequently to delete the existing [if present] XP installation.

    This is one method of achieving a clean installation and perhaps what you
    expect to do.

    Now if your PC won't even get to finishing the POST, you have more
    fundamental problems and I wouyld suggest that your best course of action
    would be to go to a PC shop and get it looked at properly by a competent
    technician.

    "xjennersonx" wrote:

    > Yes I mean the WinXP CD. It will not even run Bios. It won't do anything but
    > sound like it's running when the power is on.
    >
    > "Rich Barry" wrote:
    >
    > > Do you mean WinXP CD when you say Boot Disc. You have to set the cdrom
    > > drive as first boot device in Bios. To get
    > > there you usually tap the delete button on Startup. Your computer
    > > manual will have that info.
    > > "xjennersonx" <xjennersonx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >I went to uninstall and reinstall Windows XP and when I tried to reinstall
    > > > with the boot disc it told me a file could not be found, and then it
    > > > restarted itself. Since then, when I turn the computer on, it won't do
    > > > anything. It sounds like it's on, but it doesn't beep like it usually did
    > > > on
    > > > startup after the memory test and it just won't do anything. I've tried
    > > > different kinds of RAM and am getting fed up, and have no idea what to do.
    > > > HELP!!!

    You have hardware problems and should take your computer to a paid
    professional. The fact that you are not completing the P.O.S.T., and getting
    the single beep that indicates all is well, is an indication of this!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "xjennersonx" <xjennersonx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I went to uninstall and reinstall Windows XP and when I tried to reinstall
    > with the boot disc it told me a file could not be found, and then it
    > restarted itself. Since then, when I turn the computer on, it won't do
    > anything. It sounds like it's on, but it doesn't beep like it usually did
    > on
    > startup after the memory test and it just won't do anything. I've tried
    > different kinds of RAM and am getting fed up, and have no idea what to do.
    > HELP!!!

Computers Windows XP