RPC server is unavalaible when trying "ipconfig / renew"

Paul

Splendid

Hi,

I have one computer (WinXP-Pro) which is no longer able to acquire its IP
address from our DHCP server (other computers can, so it is not a server
problem; with a fixed IP address, the computer has a normal network access,
so it is not a network card or a connection problem).

Four key symptoms:

- after what seems to be a normal boot, the computer hangs for about 2 min
(after login) while doing what seems to be a request for IP address with the
DHCP server ... Then, it continues but has not received its IP adress
(address is 0.0.0.0; the network icon shows as a bubble message "Acquiring
IP adress..." and an animation that never stops). No acces to network is
possible.

- when manipulating the "Properties" of the TCP/IP protocol (changing the
"Request an IP adress" configuration in a "Fixed IP adress configuration" OR
vice-versa), the computer systematically asks to be restarted ("for changes
to take effect"), which normally XP should not do. When the machine is
retarted, it has the correct configuration but this does NOT solve the
problem (i.e., if set to a fixed IP adress, it completes booting without any
hanging, uses that adress and has normal network access; if set to a
DHCP-obtained IP adress, it hangs during boot, does not get its IP adress,
shows the same thing as above and is unable to access the network.

- if I boot the machine under "DHCP-obtained address" configuration, and
then if I try to get the IP from the DHCP server with "ipconfig /renew"
(under cmd) , I get a message "an error has occured while renewing
interface Local Area Connection. The RPC server is unavailable" (note:
another computer in the same network and using the same DHCP server can renew
its IP adress sucessfully with ipconfig /renew).

- if trying to "repair" the connection using the wizard, the procedure fails
with a message "Could not repair .... registering with DNS could not be
completed".

Any suggestion ?

Thank you in advance.

Paul (Bornival)

I don't think a few checks of the dns and tcp/ip files could hurt anything, anyway.

Restart windows, after you go to start/run, and type CMD, then at that prompt type: IPCONFIG /flushDNS and then : IPCONFIG
/registerDNS

and

Q299357 - How to Reset Internet Protocol (TCP-IP) in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q299357

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Paul (Bornival)" <PaulBornival@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have one computer (WinXP-Pro) which is no longer able to acquire its IP
> address from our DHCP server (other computers can, so it is not a server
> problem; with a fixed IP address, the computer has a normal network access,
> so it is not a network card or a connection problem).
>
> Four key symptoms:
>
> - after what seems to be a normal boot, the computer hangs for about 2 min
> (after login) while doing what seems to be a request for IP address with the
> DHCP server ... Then, it continues but has not received its IP adress
> (address is 0.0.0.0; the network icon shows as a bubble message "Acquiring
> IP adress..." and an animation that never stops). No acces to network is
> possible.
>
> - when manipulating the "Properties" of the TCP/IP protocol (changing the
> "Request an IP adress" configuration in a "Fixed IP adress configuration" OR
> vice-versa), the computer systematically asks to be restarted ("for changes
> to take effect"), which normally XP should not do. When the machine is
> retarted, it has the correct configuration but this does NOT solve the
> problem (i.e., if set to a fixed IP adress, it completes booting without any
> hanging, uses that adress and has normal network access; if set to a
> DHCP-obtained IP adress, it hangs during boot, does not get its IP adress,
> shows the same thing as above and is unable to access the network.
>
> - if I boot the machine under "DHCP-obtained address" configuration, and
> then if I try to get the IP from the DHCP server with "ipconfig /renew"
> (under cmd) , I get a message "an error has occured while renewing
> interface Local Area Connection. The RPC server is unavailable" (note:
> another computer in the same network and using the same DHCP server can renew
> its IP adress sucessfully with ipconfig /renew).
>
> - if trying to "repair" the connection using the wizard, the procedure fails
> with a message "Could not repair .... registering with DNS could not be
> completed".
>
> Any suggestion ?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Paul (Bornival)

Paul

Splendid

Dear Mark,
Thank you for your suggestions. I tried them but as unucessful (including
resetting TCP/IP). What is worse is that I tried to restore the computer to
a date at which I know it was still working properly, but (i) this did not
solve the problem ; (ii) I am unable to cancel this restore (when launching
System Retsore, I got a blanl screen), and windows update does not funcion
any longer...
I guess my only way out of this problem is to reinstall Windows... Since
this is a portable computer (Toshiba Satellite), UI wonder, however, whether
I'll be able to do it without having disks of specific drivers ... and
without too mcuh problems.
What do you think ?
Kind regards.