Preventing Windows Explorer opening up on Win XP start-up

Every time I open up Windows XP Home, Windows Explorer automatically opens
up showing the following folder:

C:\program files\common

I have run 'msconfig' and tried various tweaks as well as looking at
'start/properties/start menu/customise'; none of which prevents Windows
Explorer being run on start-up.

Grateful is someone could let me know how to prevent Windows Explorer
opening up on start-up.

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about preventing windows explorer opening start

    Hi Onetel News,

    Download Autoruns from www.sysinternals.com and generate a log file. Post
    the contents here.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Onetel News" <helenbrian.jones@onetel.net> wrote in message
    > Every time I open up Windows XP Home, Windows Explorer automatically opens
    > up showing the following folder:
    >
    > C:\program files\common
    >
    > I have run 'msconfig' and tried various tweaks as well as looking at
    > 'start/properties/start menu/customise'; none of which prevents Windows
    > Explorer being run on start-up.
    >
    > Grateful is someone could let me know how to prevent Windows Explorer
    > opening up on start-up.
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi Onetel News,

    Will check that. Anyway, I'd try a trial and error troubleshooting in this
    case. Uncheck the following one at a time and logoff/login:

    ccApp
    Microsoft Works
    TkBell
    Adobe Reader Speed Launch
    DataViz Inc

    Additionally, generating a startup applications log using MSINFO32 and
    comparing the both will help
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q308549/

    --

    > Ramesh
    >
    > As request I attach the results.
    >
    > Thanks for your response.

    >> Hi Onetel News,
    >>
    >> Download Autoruns from www.sysinternals.com and generate a log file. Post
    >> the contents here.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Onetel News" <helenbrian.jones@onetel.net> wrote in message
    >>> Every time I open up Windows XP Home, Windows Explorer automatically
    >>> opens
    >>> up showing the following folder:
    >>>
    >>> C:\program files\common
    >>>
    >>> I have run 'msconfig' and tried various tweaks as well as looking at
    >>> 'start/properties/start menu/customise'; none of which prevents Windows
    >>> Explorer being run on start-up.
    >>>
    >>> Grateful is someone could let me know how to prevent Windows Explorer
    >>> opening up on start-up.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

Windows Explorer Windows XP