Laptop CPU for virtualization.

I am confused b/w Intel Core i7 3612QM & Intel Core i5 3210M.
I'll mostly use the laptop for network testing and penetration, so i would run Windows 2008 server, linux, on Virtual Machines (VMware or virtualbox), and may run 2 or more VM's at same time.
What processor should i select & will it make a huge impact from i5 to i7?
I'll be having 8GB ram.
20 answers Last reply
More about laptop virtualization
  1. Both can do the job.

    The quad core CPU will probably give you better performance overall if you have a heavy workload on the VMs.
  2. WR2 said:
    Both can do the job.

    The quad core CPU will probably give you better performance overall if you have a heavy workload on the VMs.


    I'm just not sure that can an i5 handle windows server 2008?? As i said, i'll be doing some security tests running simultaneously on host machine, so host machine will also need some processing power?

    If i am not wrong, i5 has two physical cores and 4 threads (logical Core), and i have to denote one physical core to the VM, would one core will be enough to run Windows Server 2008?
  3. I'm sure i5 can handle Windows Server 2008.
    Have you looked at System Requirements? They're very low.

    Windows Server 2008 System Requirements
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb414778.aspx
  4. hwmgr said:
    and i have to denote one physical core to the VM
    That's an option, not a requirement.
    For what you describe use the default settings and let Windows decide how to use cores and threads.
  5. ok, can you tell me how many vm's can this i5 handle simultaneously??
  6. With 8GB of RAM? 512MB RAM per VM plus 2GB RAM for native OS?
    Probably 10-12. But the performance might suffer.
  7. WR2 said:
    With 8GB of RAM? 512MB RAM per VM plus 2GB RAM for native OS?
    Probably 10-12. But the performance might suffer.


    and in the comparison to i7, what benefits can i expect?
  8. Core i7 laptop could handle the same amount but it should have better performance (4 cores, 8 threads of course).
  9. What's the price difference between the 2 CPUs?
  10. WR2 said:
    Core i7 laptop could handle the same amount but it should have better performance (4 cores, 8 threads of course).


    will the VM's stutter under i7?
    i5: $225
    i7: $378
  11. i5-3210M to i7-3610QM upgrade I'm seeing $70
  12. hwmgr said:
    will the VM's stutter under i7?
    It's possible they might.
    Depending on the number of VMs, the workload of the VMs and workload of the native OS.
  13. WR2 said:
    i5-3210M to i7-3610QM upgrade I'm seeing $70


    well, i have a choice b/w these two laptops:

    Dell Inspiron 15R Special Edition with i5. (will upgrade it to 8GB).
    Dell Inspiron 15R Special Edition with i7.

    So, can't have $70 upgrade.. :(
  14. Right - there's more to that than just a different CPU choice in the same model.



    Am I right in thinking you don't really need to pay for a copy of Win7u Home Premium to do your work?
  15. WR2 said:
    Right - there's more to that than just a different CPU choice in the same model.

    http://i.imgur.com/022cm.png

    Am I right in thinking you don't really need to pay for a copy of Win7u Home Premium to do your work?


    yup, i have a windows 7 ultimate dvd, that i got with my desktop, so i can use that, but Dell is'nt letting me to remove the windows dvd option.. :(
  16. How about the business class Dell Vostro 3750 notebooks?
    Can you get an i7 Sandy Bridge CPU without Win7?
  17. WR2 said:
    How about the business class Dell Vostro 3750 notebooks?
    Can you get an i7 Sandy Bridge CPU without Win7?


    I think it's not available here in india...
  18. I can easily run 6 Linux VMs on a Windows 7 host operating system on an older i5 laptop with 6 GB of memory. I was using it when I was recently teaching CompTIA Linux+ and Security+classes to demo some of the Linux tools available. Once I got more than 6 guest operating systems using between 512 MB and 1024 MB each the machine started to slow down.
  19. Jim_L9 said:
    I can easily run 6 Linux VMs on a Windows 7 host operating system on an older i5 laptop with 6 GB of memory. I was using it when I was recently teaching CompTIA Linux+ and Security+classes to demo some of the Linux tools available. Once I got more than 6 guest operating systems using between 512 MB and 1024 MB each the machine started to slow down.


    so, i5 is a good deal, but i don't think that it's future proof for next 3-4yrs, as i won't be buying another rig for me in next 4 yrs..
  20. If you feel that way there isn't any question about which option to choose, right?
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Intel i7 Intel i5 Product