Cannot register WIndows

When I first installed Windows XP Pro, I didn't register it. Now I want to
register but it won't work.

I ran regwiz /r, it says it's verifying the connection to Microsoft
registration site but always fails, saying I need to install a modem/set up
an internet connection or configure a proxy server. As I'm using a broadband
connection which works fine for all other online activity, I don't have a
dial-up modem or account how can I register Windows?

Hi, Brian.

(First, for any lurkers reading over our shoulders... You want to REGISTER
Windows, not ACTIVATE it. It's not just semantics. Registration gives
Microsoft your name and address - and it is completely voluntary.
Activation gives information about your computer (NOT about YOU) and is
mandatory for you to continue using WinXP.)

I see what you mean, Brian. I also have an ADSL connection that works fine.
Trying regwiz /r from the Run line (or in a "DOS" window") just got me the
error message you described. :>(

I'm using Norton Internet Security 2005, which includes Norton Personal
Firewall. I can temporarily disable NIS and get in OK. What firewall are
you using?

I'll try to track down the solution, unless someone beats me to it. I
suspect it requires an entry in your firewall rules.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Brian Wescombe" <brian.wescombeSODOFF@ntlworldSPAM.com> wrote in message
> When I first installed Windows XP Pro, I didn't register it. Now I want
> to register but it won't work.
>
> I ran regwiz /r, it says it's verifying the connection to Microsoft
> registration site but always fails, saying I need to install a modem/set
> up an internet connection or configure a proxy server. As I'm using a
> broadband connection which works fine for all other online activity, I
> don't have a dial-up modem or account how can I register Windows?

If I disable my firewall, it gets past the connection checking but then I
get 'Registration Wizard has encountered a problem and needs to close'

Any ideas?

"Brian Wescombe" <brian.wescombeSODOFF@ntlworldSPAM.com> wrote in message
> When I first installed Windows XP Pro, I didn't register it. Now I want
> to register but it won't work.
>
> I ran regwiz /r, it says it's verifying the connection to Microsoft
> registration site but always fails, saying I need to install a modem/set
> up an internet connection or configure a proxy server. As I'm using a
> broadband connection which works fine for all other online activity, I
> don't have a dial-up modem or account how can I register Windows?

bar

I believe that what your are atempting to do is Activate your Windows XP
installation: registration is an optional component. NOw if it is already
activated, ut not registered call Microsoft Technical support.

To activate Windows with your modem.

The Windows Product Activation Wizard is located in System Tools. To open a
system tools item, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories,
point to System Tools, and then click the appropriate icon., then click
Activate Windows.
Follow the activation instructions that appear on your screen.

You can open the Windows Product Activation wizard by clicking Start, then
Run,
and type in "oobe/msoobe /a" and press 'OK' button.

Even without Internet service, you can use your modem to activate, or
activate and register, your copy of Windows.

If you choose not to activate now, reminders will appear periodically during
the next 30 days. After that time has expired, you will be required to
activate in order to continue to use Windows.

If you have not yet activated Windows XP, you can initiate activation at any
time by clicking the Windows Activation icon in the system tray. Once you
have activated Windows XP, this icon disappears from the system tray.

You can also choose to activate by phone and speak with a Microsoft
Representative to fix any concerns that you have.

"R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Brian.
>
> (First, for any lurkers reading over our shoulders... You want to
> REGISTER
> Windows, not ACTIVATE it. It's not just semantics. Registration gives
> Microsoft your name and address - and it is completely voluntary.
> Activation gives information about your computer (NOT about YOU) and is
> mandatory for you to continue using WinXP.)
>
> I see what you mean, Brian. I also have an ADSL connection that works
> fine.
> Trying regwiz /r from the Run line (or in a "DOS" window") just got me the
> error message you described. :>(
>
> I'm using Norton Internet Security 2005, which includes Norton Personal
> Firewall. I can temporarily disable NIS and get in OK. What firewall are
> you using?

The same, NIS 2005.

> I'll try to track down the solution, unless someone beats me to it. I
> suspect it requires an entry in your firewall rules.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Brian Wescombe" <brian.wescombeSODOFF@ntlworldSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> When I first installed Windows XP Pro, I didn't register it. Now I want
>> to register but it won't work.
>>
>> I ran regwiz /r, it says it's verifying the connection to Microsoft
>> registration site but always fails, saying I need to install a modem/set
>> up an internet connection or configure a proxy server. As I'm using a
>> broadband connection which works fine for all other online activity, I
>> don't have a dial-up modem or account how can I register Windows?

Hi, Brian.

>> I'm using Norton Internet Security 2005, which includes Norton Personal
>> Firewall. I can temporarily disable NIS and get in OK. What firewall
>> are
>> you using?
>
> The same, NIS 2005.

Then this may be the solution for you. Not good as a long-term situation,
of course, but for a quickie one-time shot, it's a reasonable risk.

If I click on the NIS icon in my SysTray, the context menu that pops up
offers to Disable NIS, and if I click on that, I see a window that lets me
choose how long it should be disable, with 5 minutes as the default, which I
accept. Then I can run RegWiz. (At least, it seems to run OK; I haven't
gone through with re-registering my WinXP.) NIS sometimes forgets to
re-enable itself later, so I just click the SysTray icon again and click
Enable NIS.

Obviously, Symantec should fix this problem - with Microsoft's help,
probably. But, until they do, this workaround should get the job done with
only moderate risk for one very short time period.

RC
--

> Hi, Brian.
>
>>> I'm using Norton Internet Security 2005, which includes Norton Personal
>>> Firewall. I can temporarily disable NIS and get in OK. What firewall
>>> are
>>> you using?
>>
>> The same, NIS 2005.
>
> Then this may be the solution for you. Not good as a long-term situation,
> of course, but for a quickie one-time shot, it's a reasonable risk.
>
> If I click on the NIS icon in my SysTray, the context menu that pops up
> offers to Disable NIS, and if I click on that, I see a window that lets me
> choose how long it should be disable, with 5 minutes as the default, which
> I accept. Then I can run RegWiz. (At least, it seems to run OK; I
> haven't gone through with re-registering my WinXP.) NIS sometimes forgets
> to re-enable itself later, so I just click the SysTray icon again and
> click Enable NIS.

Yep, did that.but still can't register. It gets past the connection check,
but then I get an error 'Registration Wizard has encountered a problem and
needs to close'