USB no longer automatically installing drivers

I recently purchased a USB desktop microphone, accidentally plugged it in
while the computer was going into hibernation, experienced several computer
reboots, and now none of my USB devices work except my mouse. I have tried
uninstalling and reinstalling the USB root hub and controllers and the
devices are still not recognized. A message simply pops up saying: ""USB
Device Not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer has
malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving
this problem, click this message." Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Hi,

General USB Troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310575

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Milliehol" <Milliehol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a USB desktop microphone, accidentally plugged it in
> while the computer was going into hibernation, experienced several
> computer
> reboots, and now none of my USB devices work except my mouse. I have
> tried
> uninstalling and reinstalling the USB root hub and controllers and the
> devices are still not recognized. A message simply pops up saying: ""USB
> Device Not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer
> has
> malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in
> solving
> this problem, click this message." Any ideas on how to solve this
> problem?

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestion. However, I tried the procedures suggested on
that page and none of them worked. Do you have any other ideas? I really
hope that the only way to get my USB ports to recognize my devices again
isn't a total reinstallation of Windows or something. This is ridiculous.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> General USB Troubleshooting in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310575
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Milliehol" <Milliehol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently purchased a USB desktop microphone, accidentally plugged it in
> > while the computer was going into hibernation, experienced several
> > computer
> > reboots, and now none of my USB devices work except my mouse. I have
> > tried
> > uninstalling and reinstalling the USB root hub and controllers and the
> > devices are still not recognized. A message simply pops up saying: ""USB
> > Device Not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this computer
> > has
> > malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in
> > solving
> > this problem, click this message." Any ideas on how to solve this
> > problem?

Hi,

So does the mouse work on any port?
Is this a powered hub?

You might also run regedit and navigate here after detaching all the
non-functioning devices:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB

Identify which keys under this one correspond to the non-functioning
devices. Export a copy of them, then delete them. Then reattach one device
at a time, loading the drivers per the manufacturer's instructions (some
need to be installed prior to attaching the device).

I suggest that you export a copy as a safeguard, you can delete them
afterwards. If removing a key causes problems (it shouldn't, but you never
know), then you can double click the exported copy in order to put it back.

--

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your suggestion. However, I tried the procedures suggested on
> that page and none of them worked. Do you have any other ideas? I really
> hope that the only way to get my USB ports to recognize my devices again
> isn't a total reinstallation of Windows or something. This is ridiculous.
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> General USB Troubleshooting in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310575
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Milliehol" <Milliehol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I recently purchased a USB desktop microphone, accidentally plugged it
>> >in
>> > while the computer was going into hibernation, experienced several
>> > computer
>> > reboots, and now none of my USB devices work except my mouse. I have
>> > tried
>> > uninstalling and reinstalling the USB root hub and controllers and the
>> > devices are still not recognized. A message simply pops up saying:
>> > ""USB
>> > Device Not Recognized. One of the USB devices attached to this
>> > computer
>> > has
>> > malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in
>> > solving
>> > this problem, click this message." Any ideas on how to solve this
>> > problem?

> Snip

You may just need a file alignment; corrupt usbstor.sys;
The USB Mass Storage driver is USBSTOR.SYS. You will also need the inf
files if you have to reinstall it. You can find these drivers at
http://www.usb-drivers.com If you need the usb general drivers you can
get them from http://members.driverguide.com/driv...driverid=264994 you
will have to do a free registration, and it is painless. usbstor should
be in the system32/drivers directory. From post at MSFN.ORG
Treeman

--
Treeman

Rick,

Thanks for your help.

I tried deleting the keys and the USB devices are still not recognized. My
mouse works on any port and I'm not sure what you mean by a powered hub. I
know that I have a USB root hub, though.

Any more ideas?

Millie

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So does the mouse work on any port?
> Is this a powered hub?
>
> You might also run regedit and navigate here after detaching all the
> non-functioning devices:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB
>
> Identify which keys under this one correspond to the non-functioning
> devices. Export a copy of them, then delete them. Then reattach one device
> at a time, loading the drivers per the manufacturer's instructions (some
> need to be installed prior to attaching the device).
>
> I suggest that you export a copy as a safeguard, you can delete them
> afterwards. If removing a key causes problems (it shouldn't, but you never
> know), then you can double click the exported copy in order to put it back.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Milliehol" <Milliehol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks for your suggestion. However, I tried the procedures suggested on
> > that page and none of them worked. Do you have any other ideas? I really
> > hope that the only way to get my USB ports to recognize my devices again
> > isn't a total reinstallation of Windows or something. This is ridiculous.
> >
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> General USB Troubleshooting in Windows XP
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "Milliehol" <Milliehol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Treeman,

I tried replacing the usbstor.sys drive with a new drive and am still having
the same problem. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Millie

"Treeman" wrote:

> > Snip
>
> You may just need a file alignment; corrupt usbstor.sys;
> The USB Mass Storage driver is USBSTOR.SYS. You will also need the inf
> files if you have to reinstall it. You can find these drivers at
> http://www.usb-drivers.com If you need the usb general drivers you can
> get them from http://members.driverguide.com/driv...driverid=264994 you
> will have to do a free registration, and it is painless. usbstor should
> be in the system32/drivers directory. From post at MSFN.ORG
> Treeman
>

> --
> Treeman

Hi,

A powered hub is separate from the main system and draws power from a normal
outlet instead of the tower. The main reason for this is that the
peripherals you are trying to use may draw more power than can be supplied
by USB ports situated internally.

--

> Rick,
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> I tried deleting the keys and the USB devices are still not recognized.
> My
> mouse works on any port and I'm not sure what you mean by a powered hub.
> know that I have a USB root hub, though.
>
> Any more ideas?
>
> Millie
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> So does the mouse work on any port?
>> Is this a powered hub?
>>
>> You might also run regedit and navigate here after detaching all the
>> non-functioning devices:
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB
>>
>> Identify which keys under this one correspond to the non-functioning
>> devices. Export a copy of them, then delete them. Then reattach one
>> device
>> at a time, loading the drivers per the manufacturer's instructions (some
>> need to be installed prior to attaching the device).
>>
>> I suggest that you export a copy as a safeguard, you can delete them
>> afterwards. If removing a key causes problems (it shouldn't, but you
>> never
>> know), then you can double click the exported copy in order to put it
>> back.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Milliehol" <Milliehol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Thanks for your suggestion. However, I tried the procedures suggested
>> > on
>> > that page and none of them worked. Do you have any other ideas? I
>> > really
>> > hope that the only way to get my USB ports to recognize my devices
>> > again
>> > isn't a total reinstallation of Windows or something. This is
>> > ridiculous.

Hi,

So, saying that the devices I am using were trying to draw more power, then
you think the purchase of a powered hub would correct the problem?

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A powered hub is separate from the main system and draws power from a normal
> outlet instead of the tower. The main reason for this is that the
> peripherals you are trying to use may draw more power than can be supplied
> by USB ports situated internally.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Milliehol" <Milliehol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Rick,
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > I tried deleting the keys and the USB devices are still not recognized.
> > My
> > mouse works on any port and I'm not sure what you mean by a powered hub.
> > know that I have a USB root hub, though.
> >
> > Any more ideas?
> >
> > Millie
> >
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> So does the mouse work on any port?
> >> Is this a powered hub?
> >>
> >> You might also run regedit and navigate here after detaching all the
> >> non-functioning devices:
> >>
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB
> >>
> >> Identify which keys under this one correspond to the non-functioning
> >> devices. Export a copy of them, then delete them. Then reattach one
> >> device
> >> at a time, loading the drivers per the manufacturer's instructions (some
> >> need to be installed prior to attaching the device).
> >>
> >> I suggest that you export a copy as a safeguard, you can delete them
> >> afterwards. If removing a key causes problems (it shouldn't, but you
> >> never
> >> know), then you can double click the exported copy in order to put it
> >> back.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "Milliehol" <Milliehol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi,

I might, I cannot guarantee it as I cannot see how much they are drawing.
The fact that the mouse works on any port tells me that they are working
fine. Usually with USB devices, they get funky when the power draw exceeds
the system limitations, so this may be the solution.

--

> Hi,
>
> So, saying that the devices I am using were trying to draw more power,
> then
> you think the purchase of a powered hub would correct the problem?
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> A powered hub is separate from the main system and draws power from a
>> normal
>> outlet instead of the tower. The main reason for this is that the
>> peripherals you are trying to use may draw more power than can be
>> supplied
>> by USB ports situated internally.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Milliehol" <Milliehol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Rick,
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help.
>> >
>> > I tried deleting the keys and the USB devices are still not recognized.
>> > My
>> > mouse works on any port and I'm not sure what you mean by a powered
>> > hub.
>> > know that I have a USB root hub, though.
>> >
>> > Any more ideas?
>> >
>> > Millie

TRENDING THREADS