Four SATA Hard Drives in a Dell 8400

Last response: in Computer Brands
February 9, 2005 6:19:30 AM

Currently, I have two SATA WD 200GB hard drives (RAID 1 - for fault
tolerance) in my 8400. Is there any reason I could not add two more
SATA hard drives to this machine (two more 200GB)? I would like the
second RAIDSET for more space. Will the stock power supply be enough?
Should I add an extra fan? Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

-John-
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 6:19:31 AM

<whyme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Currently, I have two SATA WD 200GB hard drives (RAID 1 - for fault
> tolerance) in my 8400. Is there any reason I could not add two more
> SATA hard drives to this machine (two more 200GB)? I would like the
> second RAIDSET for more space. Will the stock power supply be enough?
> Should I add an extra fan? Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
>
> -John-

The power supply shouldn't be a concern. My concern would be in getting the
two drives into either the external 3.5" bays (if no floppy is present) or
one also in an empty 5.25" bay.

The (2) secondary SATA connectors are meant for future SATA optical drives.

Stew
March 7, 2005 8:24:17 PM

S.Lewis wrote:
> <whyme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
>>Currently, I have two SATA WD 200GB hard drives (RAID 1 - for fault
>>tolerance) in my 8400. Is there any reason I could not add two more
>>SATA hard drives to this machine (two more 200GB)? I would like the
>>second RAIDSET for more space. Will the stock power supply be enough?
>>Should I add an extra fan? Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
>
> The power supply shouldn't be a concern. My concern would be in getting the
> two drives into either the external 3.5" bays (if no floppy is present) or
> one also in an empty 5.25" bay.
>
> The (2) secondary SATA connectors are meant for future SATA optical drives.

Is there a hierarchy to the SATA connections, e.g., are the even ones
considered "primary" and the odd ones "secondary"? IOW, which SATA
connector should a 2nd SATA HDD be plugged into?

This is not a hypothetical query - I got a 250GB Maxtor SATA HDD for my
8400 and the BIOS doesn't see it regardless of how I connect it. Both
power connectors & both SATA cables are good, but the HDD is a no go. Is
it time to declare it DOA & get an RMA from Maxtor?

TIA
March 7, 2005 9:13:57 PM

"Sparky" <Sparky@moon.sun.org> wrote in message
> S.Lewis wrote:
>> <whyme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Currently, I have two SATA WD 200GB hard drives (RAID 1 - for fault
>>>tolerance) in my 8400. Is there any reason I could not add two more
>>>SATA hard drives to this machine (two more 200GB)? I would like the
>>>second RAIDSET for more space. Will the stock power supply be enough?
>>>Should I add an extra fan? Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>> The power supply shouldn't be a concern. My concern would be in getting
>> the two drives into either the external 3.5" bays (if no floppy is
>> present) or one also in an empty 5.25" bay.
>>
>> The (2) secondary SATA connectors are meant for future SATA optical
>> drives.
>
> Is there a hierarchy to the SATA connections, e.g., are the even ones
> considered "primary" and the odd ones "secondary"? IOW, which SATA
> connector should a 2nd SATA HDD be plugged into?
>
> This is not a hypothetical query - I got a 250GB Maxtor SATA HDD for my
> 8400 and the BIOS doesn't see it regardless of how I connect it. Both
> power connectors & both SATA cables are good, but the HDD is a no go. Is
> it time to declare it DOA & get an RMA from Maxtor?
>
> TIA

Sparky,

My experience with the 8400 is fairly limited compared to some other
Dimensions. It took me a while to get over my learned experiences with IDE
drives to understand the SATA board connectors.

What I can say is that all of the 8400's I've worked on with dual HDDs is
that the primary is *always* connected to the "0" mb connector (which is
usually a different color for the end-user), and the second drives are
*always* connected to the SATA "2" mb connector.

As all 4 connectors are clustered together closely on the system board, I
assumed SATA connects "1" and "3" are reserved for future SATA opticals:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/S...

Since the HDD's are connected from the factory in a "0" primary and "2"
secondary/slave order, then I further assumed (dangerous) that any opticals
would be connected as SATA "1" optical primary, and SATA "3" optical
secondary.

Until I see or read of another system (Dell or otherwise) that is connected
differently, that is what I'm stuck with at the moment.

Don't know if that helps or not.

Stew
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 5:41:15 AM

I added a second SATA to my 8400 and connected it to SATA 1. Works fine.

> "Sparky" <Sparky@moon.sun.org> wrote in message
>> S.Lewis wrote:
>>> <whyme@nowhere.com> wrote in message

>>> The power supply shouldn't be a concern. My concern would be in getting
>>> the two drives into either the external 3.5" bays (if no floppy is
>>> present) or one also in an empty 5.25" bay.
>>>
>>> The (2) secondary SATA connectors are meant for future SATA optical
>>> drives.
>>
>> Is there a hierarchy to the SATA connections, e.g., are the even ones
>> considered "primary" and the odd ones "secondary"? IOW, which SATA
>> connector should a 2nd SATA HDD be plugged into?
>>
>> This is not a hypothetical query - I got a 250GB Maxtor SATA HDD for my
>> 8400 and the BIOS doesn't see it regardless of how I connect it. Both
>> power connectors & both SATA cables are good, but the HDD is a no go. Is
>> it time to declare it DOA & get an RMA from Maxtor?
>>
>> TIA
>

> Sparky,
>
> My experience with the 8400 is fairly limited compared to some other
> Dimensions. It took me a while to get over my learned experiences with
> IDE drives to understand the SATA board connectors.
>
> What I can say is that all of the 8400's I've worked on with dual HDDs is
> that the primary is *always* connected to the "0" mb connector (which is
> usually a different color for the end-user), and the second drives are
> *always* connected to the SATA "2" mb connector.
>
> As all 4 connectors are clustered together closely on the system board, I
> assumed SATA connects "1" and "3" are reserved for future SATA opticals:
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/S...
>
> Since the HDD's are connected from the factory in a "0" primary and "2"
> secondary/slave order, then I further assumed (dangerous) that any
> opticals would be connected as SATA "1" optical primary, and SATA "3"
> optical secondary.
>
> Until I see or read of another system (Dell or otherwise) that is
> connected differently, that is what I'm stuck with at the moment.
>
> Don't know if that helps or not.
>

> Stew

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 5:41:16 AM

>I added a second SATA to my 8400 and connected it to SATA 1. Works fine.

So, in theory, the OP may have a bad drive or cable. Perhaps he should
connect the new drive using the data (blue) and power connector currently
connected to his original drive.

Then boot the system into BIOS and see if the new drive if seen. If not,
the new drive is a dud. If so, he either has a bad SATA cable, power
connector, or mb controller.

?

Stew
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 8:12:56 AM

Sounds like a good plan Stew.

> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I added a second SATA to my 8400 and connected it to SATA 1. Works fine.
>>

> So, in theory, the OP may have a bad drive or cable. Perhaps he should
> connect the new drive using the data (blue) and power connector currently
> connected to his original drive.
>
> Then boot the system into BIOS and see if the new drive if seen. If not,
> the new drive is a dud. If so, he either has a bad SATA cable, power
> connector, or mb controller.
>
> ?
>

> Stew

March 8, 2005 10:52:32 PM

S.Lewis wrote:
> "Sparky" <Sparky@moon.sun.org> wrote in message
>
>>S.Lewis wrote:
>>
>>><whyme@nowhere.com> wrote in message

>>>The power supply shouldn't be a concern. My concern would be in getting
>>>the two drives into either the external 3.5" bays (if no floppy is
>>>present) or one also in an empty 5.25" bay.
>>>
>>>The (2) secondary SATA connectors are meant for future SATA optical
>>>drives.
>>
>>Is there a hierarchy to the SATA connections, e.g., are the even ones
>>considered "primary" and the odd ones "secondary"? IOW, which SATA
>>connector should a 2nd SATA HDD be plugged into?
>>
>>This is not a hypothetical query - I got a 250GB Maxtor SATA HDD for my
>>8400 and the BIOS doesn't see it regardless of how I connect it. Both
>>power connectors & both SATA cables are good, but the HDD is a no go. Is
>>it time to declare it DOA & get an RMA from Maxtor?
>
> Sparky,
>
> My experience with the 8400 is fairly limited compared to some other
> Dimensions. It took me a while to get over my learned experiences with IDE
> drives to understand the SATA board connectors.

Amen to that - same here, feels like the first day of school again in
some ways.

> What I can say is that all of the 8400's I've worked on with dual HDDs is
> that the primary is *always* connected to the "0" mb connector (which is
> usually a different color for the end-user), and the second drives are
> *always* connected to the SATA "2" mb connector.
>
> As all 4 connectors are clustered together closely on the system board, I
> assumed SATA connects "1" and "3" are reserved for future SATA opticals:
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/S...
>
> Since the HDD's are connected from the factory in a "0" primary and "2"
> secondary/slave order, then I further assumed (dangerous) that any opticals
> would be connected as SATA "1" optical primary, and SATA "3" optical
> secondary.

Sounds like a pretty good argument for going with 0 & 2.

> Until I see or read of another system (Dell or otherwise) that is connected
> differently, that is what I'm stuck with at the moment.
>
> Don't know if that helps or not.

Stew,

Thanks for the feedback & the link. Some descriptions I have seen say
the SATA connections are all direct connections to the motherboard & are
independent of one another, i.e., no master/slave relationship anymore
(also no jumpers!). As fate would have it, I connected my SATA HDDs to
SATA connectors 0 & 2. The Maxtor HDD is in fact dead - I'm using a
Hitachi 250GB HDD along with the original 80GB WD HDD.

I installed the Hitachi HDD as a stand alone drive at first and
installed WinXP from scratch. This usually results in a more stable
system, but I've had problems (including some Win stops I've never seen
before, e.g., Stop 50 and Stop EA, which is "thread stuck in device
driver", the video driver). I downloaded drivers from ATI and the system
has been noticeably more stable.

to be continued ...
March 8, 2005 10:53:12 PM

WSZsr wrote:
> I added a second SATA to my 8400 and connected it to SATA 1. Works fine.

Thanks, evidence that the connectors are indeed idependent.
March 8, 2005 10:54:47 PM

S.Lewis wrote:
> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I added a second SATA to my 8400 and connected it to SATA 1. Works fine.
>
> So, in theory, the OP may have a bad drive or cable. Perhaps he should
> connect the new drive using the data (blue) and power connector currently
> connected to his original drive.
>
> Then boot the system into BIOS and see if the new drive if seen. If not,
> the new drive is a dud. If so, he either has a bad SATA cable, power
> connector, or mb controller.

Tried all that and the HDD was the bad link. The new HDD was never seen
by the BIOS no matter how I configured it. Need to get an RMA from the
Maxtor site now.
!