nV mfr partners not happy w/ AGP/PCIEX bridge chip

It's not the perfromance (well why not?), but the price.

The inquirer saying that nV's build partners are not happy about having to shell out an extra $5 for the HIS PCI-EX to AGP bridge chip.

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15007" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15007</A>

Could affect the minimum price of some cards.

Interesting that they don't care about it's performance. Just as long as they can unload the parts obviously.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Awww c'mon!....it's only five bucks :smile:

I'm sure it add's up quick though.

<A HREF="http://rmitz.org/AYB3.swf" target="_new">All your base are belong to us.</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2216718" target="_new"><b>3DMark03</b></A>

Yeah that's what I thought at first too.

But considering they are talking about the 'expense of DDRII' on the older FX5700U (GDDR3 now) versus the FX5900XT, the difference in bulk is something like $5-10 per card, so really I'm not surprised because it skews their view of return on investment.

A $15 to build card gettting $150 back is a better return than that $20 to build card getting $175 back. Of course the profit margin is more, but when dealing with projections of investment/return things can be thrown out of whack by the accountants. The problem is when that $20 cards can only get $150 whereas the $15 card could command a premium of $200, then things get bugged out.

In the end the roars will depend on demand IMO. If they move enough chips/boards, no one will care. Integrated or not, a winner is a winner.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Ah I dont think it will stop anyone from selling NV boards :wink:
No matter how much they complain.. the market is too accepting of the brand.
Its the most recognized name in graphics.

If it was a moderate problem then expect NV to nearly offer the chip for free...
I am actually a big fan of their method, I think it is the way to go this round. Sounds like they did a brilliant job of designing the HIS chip, and will save them TONS of money.

I think it will help in the longterm battle against ATI making good calls like this.

2sense.

I wouldn't say that the HIS is a good solution, even nV admits it's not the best solution, but it is their only solution at this time. nV would prefer to go ATI's route, but they can't at this time (unless they skip a generation).

It would be a good choice if it were an actual bridge instead of a bridge chip, then you could use other cards on it, otherwise I see no benifit to using a bridge chip. It adds another component that can fail, and if initial reports are correct it draws more juice, and even adds more heat.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
This is true to some extent but it still is saving NV tons of money.

I think it will work fine this generation. Its not like they couldnt be pumping out both lines, but its just not economical.

Most of the cards this round will be sold in AGP form.