Audio is crackly and distorted...

I had my pentium 3 taken into get formatted, when I got it back with windows
xp and tried to play any audio it crackles and is distorted. I have updated
the driver and went throught the windows xp troubleshooting audio guide but
it didn't help. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

You sure you got the right input connected?
How do it sound when trying with headphones?