XP Folder Views

I am using the Windows Classic mode (XP SP2 Prof'l). However, whenever I open
a folder, it 1) automatically opens the Explorer Folder view alongside he
"normal" folder view. and 2) If I turn of the Explorer|Folders toolbar to get
rid of explorer, then open Tools|Folder Options... and at the View tab, tell
it to make the underlying folder the default for all folders, it does not
work. I also have the option to open each folder in its own window selected,
yet XP is ignoring that, too. Finally, each folder is opening in full screen
view. I am pretty adept at usiing and working with XP, but this one has me
totally mystified. I have two other machines in the house, each running the
exact same OS/versions/patches, etc., and I have no problem with them. Any
thoughts what's going on and how to "fix" it/them? Thanks ... -Bill F

"Bill F" <BillF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using the Windows Classic mode (XP SP2 Prof'l). However, whenever
>I open
> a folder, it 1) automatically opens the Explorer Folder view alongside
> he
> "normal" folder view. and 2) If I turn of the Explorer|Folders toolbar
> to get
> rid of explorer, then open Tools|Folder Options... and at the View
> tab, tell
> it to make the underlying folder the default for all folders, it does
> not
> work. I also have the option to open each folder in its own window
> selected,
> yet XP is ignoring that, too. Finally, each folder is opening in full
> screen
> view. I am pretty adept at usiing and working with XP, but this one
> has me
> totally mystified. I have two other machines in the house, each
> running the
> exact same OS/versions/patches, etc., and I have no problem with them.
> Any
> thoughts what's going on and how to "fix" it/them? Thanks ... -Bill F

Hi Check these registry entries.

Start>Run and type
regedit

Navigate to:
HKCR\Folder\Shell
Double-click default (REG_SZ) in the right-hand pane and ensure the
value is blank (value not set). If not delete the default key.

HKCR\Drive\shell
Double-click default (REG_SZ) in the right-hand pane and ensure the
value is "none". If not modify the value of the default key to "none".
Do not include the "".

HKCR\Directory\shell

--
William

William,

Thanks for the try, but if this is how to fix the issue, I'm in real
trouble, because ...

1. While there is a HKCR\Folder, there is nothing in it called SHELL
2. There is no HKCR\Drive entry
3. There is not HKCR\Directory entry

Does that give you any clues about what to try next?

Thanks again ...

Bill

> William,
>
> Thanks for the try, but if this is how to fix the issue, I'm in real
> trouble, because ...
>
> 1. While there is a HKCR\Folder, there is nothing in it called SHELL
> 2. There is no HKCR\Drive entry
> 3. There is not HKCR\Directory entry
>
> Does that give you any clues about what to try next?
>
> Thanks again ...
>
> Bill
>
> "WTC" wrote:
>
>> "Bill F" <BillF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am using the Windows Classic mode (XP SP2 Prof'l). However,
>> >whenever
>> >I open
>> > a folder, it 1) automatically opens the Explorer Folder view
>> > alongside
>> > he
>> > "normal" folder view. and 2) If I turn of the Explorer|Folders
>> > toolbar
>> > to get
>> > rid of explorer, then open Tools|Folder Options... and at the View
>> > tab, tell
>> > it to make the underlying folder the default for all folders, it
>> > does
>> > not
>> > work. I also have the option to open each folder in its own window
>> > selected,
>> > yet XP is ignoring that, too. Finally, each folder is opening in
>> > full
>> > screen
>> > view. I am pretty adept at usiing and working with XP, but this one
>> > has me
>> > totally mystified. I have two other machines in the house, each
>> > running the
>> > exact same OS/versions/patches, etc., and I have no problem with
>> > them.
>> > Any
>> > thoughts what's going on and how to "fix" it/them? Thanks
>> > .. -Bill F
>>

>> Hi Check these registry entries.
>>
>> Start>Run and type
>> regedit
>>
>> Navigate to:
>> HKCR\Folder\Shell
>> Double-click default (REG_SZ) in the right-hand pane and ensure the
>> value is blank (value not set). If not delete the default key.
>>
>> HKCR\Drive\shell
>> Double-click default (REG_SZ) in the right-hand pane and ensure the
>> value is "none". If not modify the value of the default key to
>> "none".
>> Do not include the "".
>>
>> HKCR\Directory\shell
>> Double-click default (REG_SZ) in the right-hand pane and ensure the
>> value is "none". If not modify the value of the default key to
>> "none".
>> Do not include the "".
>>
>> --
>> William

What happens when you type

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

in the Start>Run box?

--
William

It said the action was successful

> It said the action was successful

So is everything working now?

--
William

No. Now I no longer get the missing helpctr.exe error message, but when I
clicik Help and Support, nothing happens. It acts like its' going somewhere
after I click, but nothing ever happens.

Bill

PS Thanks for sticking with me on this.

> No. Now I no longer get the missing helpctr.exe error message, but
> when I
> clicik Help and Support, nothing happens. It acts like its' going
> somewhere
> after I click, but nothing ever happens.

A Couple of things, then we will try to get your Help and Support
Working.

Open Notepad and paste the following without the ------------.

--------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
@="none"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell]
@="none"

------------------------

Then save this file on your Desktop as FolderFix.reg. Note be sure to
have 2 blank lines at the end of the file.

Double-click FolderFix.reg to import into the Registry.

Then go to Start>run and type

cmd /k REG DELETE "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell" /va /f

PS: I am going to attach the same files as you just performed. You can
view these files by right-clicking and select Edit after unzipping.
Double-Click the Files to run the fixes after unzipping.

If your Folder problems are still not working, I would like you to
export and then email the following keys: To export a registry key,
right-click Drive under HKCR\Drive and select Export. Save the file as
Drive onto your Desktop. The Registry key will be still in the Registry
after exporting.

These are the key I would like to look at:
HKCR\Drive
HKCR\Directory
HKCR\Folder

Could you zipped up the files into one before emailing?

My Email address is
bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com

Make sure you take out the (remove) part.

--
William

begin 666 fix.zip
M4$L#! H``````/A=DC)EQFR;,@```#(````'````9FEX+F-M9%)%1R!$14Q%
M5$4@(DA+15E?0TQ!4U-%4U]23T]47$9O;&1E<EQS:&5L;"(@+W9A("]F4$L#
M!!0````(`&]>DC(\P59BA@````X!```-````1F]L9&5R1FEX+G)E9Y6-T0H!
M812$OVOE'38/(#<N%;&E*(5:)"_8UI9VZU_1OCP^FP>@Z=29F6;F]=R24W"F
MY$%%Q)*43*WB1J!6B75S62F/V.@'W5Q>R/MTZ8DVK>;V3)F9V9$P9LZ(E8B]
MQ.Z%6'-@8C[8=/KVUFH5%Y6K.#9-0P9TW/CLI'[_+@0W[B9_;WX#4$L!`A0+
M"@``````^%V2,F7&;)LR````,@````<``````````0`@`````````&9I>"YC
M;6102P$"% L4````" !O7I(R/,%68H8````.`0``#0```````````" ```!7
F````1F]L9&5R1FEX+G)E9U!+!08``````@`"`' ````(`0``````
`
end

Hi. No luck with your instructions, as saving the file in Notepad with a .reg
extension would not allow me to install it into the registry. The exact error
message was: "Cannot import C:\Documents and
Settings\Bill\Desktop\FolderFix.reg: The specified file is not a registry
script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry
editor.

Also, you mention an attachment. I don't see one here in the posting, and do
not know how to retrieve it if there is one. If it would make things easier,
send it to my personal email address wpfloor@pathbroadband.com .

Thanks,
Bill

> "WTC" wrote:
>
>> "Bill F" <BillF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > No. Now I no longer get the missing helpctr.exe error message, but
>> > when I
>> > clicik Help and Support, nothing happens. It acts like its' going
>> > somewhere
>> > after I click, but nothing ever happens.
>> >

>> A Couple of things, then we will try to get your Help and Support
>> Working.
>>
>> Open Notepad and paste the following without the ------------.
>>
>> --------------------------
>> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>>
>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell]
>> @="none"
>>
>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell]
>> @="none"
>>

>> ------------------------
>>
>> Then save this file on your Desktop as FolderFix.reg. Note be sure to
>> have 2 blank lines at the end of the file.
>>
>> Double-click FolderFix.reg to import into the Registry.
>>
>> Then go to Start>run and type
>>
>> cmd /k REG DELETE "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell" /va /f
>>
>> PS: I am going to attach the same files as you just performed. You
>> can
>> view these files by right-clicking and select Edit after unzipping.
>> Double-Click the Files to run the fixes after unzipping.
>>
>> If your Folder problems are still not working, I would like you to
>> export and then email the following keys: To export a registry key,
>> right-click Drive under HKCR\Drive and select Export. Save the file
>> as
>> Drive onto your Desktop. The Registry key will be still in the
>> Registry
>> after exporting.
>>
>> These are the key I would like to look at:
>> HKCR\Drive
>> HKCR\Directory
>> HKCR\Folder
>>
>> Could you zipped up the files into one before emailing?
>>
>> My Email address is
>> bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com
>>
>> Make sure you take out the (remove) part.
>>
> Hi. No luck with your instructions, as saving the file in Notepad with
> a .reg
> extension would not allow me to install it into the registry. The
> exact error
> message was: "Cannot import C:\Documents and
> Settings\Bill\Desktop\FolderFix.reg: The specified file is not a
> registry
> script. You can only import binary registry files from within the
> registry
> editor.
>
> Also, you mention an attachment. I don't see one here in the posting,
> and do
> not know how to retrieve it if there is one. If it would make things
> easier,
> send it to my personal email address XXXX@xxxxx.xxxxx

Sent you the files via email with a subject heading "FolderFix
(William)". By the way, next time you post you email address you should
post it like this:

wpfloor (at) pathbroadband (dot) com

Then the SPAM bots will not get your address and fill your inbox with
SPAM.

--
William