My Computer does not show CD-ROM drive or Hard Disk.

My hard disk and cd-rom drive doesn't show up when I go to My Computer.
Doesn't work in Explorer or in Vapor.
It's all there and working fine when I go to Device Management.
I've got Windows XP Home Edition; service pack 2
Any help?
2 answers Last reply
More about computer show drive hard disk

    In news:08A76EB8-943A-409F-851B-33731F03653E@microsoft.com,
    Skroller <Skroller@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > My hard disk and cd-rom drive doesn't show up when I go to My
    > Computer. Doesn't work in Explorer or in Vapor.
    > It's all there and working fine when I go to Device Management.
    > I've got Windows XP Home Edition; service pack 2
    > Any help?

    CD Rom or DVD Not Listed in Explorer/My Computer:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

    Galen
  2. It could be someone or some program has messed with the auto detect registry settings for the drives that your CDRom and Hard Drive are attached to.

    One way to remedy this is to install "Powertoys For Windows XP Tool" (Don't worry, it's a Microsoft signed software product):

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx

    Download it,
    run it,
    it installs to your start menu.
    Go to Start -> Programs click TweakUI application. Expand the 'My Computer' tree -> click 'Drives'

    then try Toggling the drive letters normally assigned to your CDRom. For me I had to toggle the check box on drive 'F'. Immediately (without restart) my drive F: appeared in "My Computer". Some security software may try to tweak these settings to help lock down your computer to malware, spyware, worms, botnets, crackers, adware, viruses and trojans.

CD-Rom Computers Hard Drives Windows XP