DVD drive show as CD when DVD inserted

Hi,

All has been well, for months, then all of a sudden my Matsushita DVD-RAM
writer and my Pioneer DVD player will not play or record DVD's.

If I insert a playable DVD that was working, both their Icons change under
Windows Explorer from DVD to CD and the DVD will not play.

If I try and burn a DVD, using Nero it goes off and started to set up what
appears to be a multiple session over many what appears toe be CD's?

Any suggestions please.

I'm runnung Windows XP Pro sp2 and have had no problems, the only thing I've
installed was a shareware midi software package. Maybe I shouldn't have :-)

Regards
Col
1 answer Last reply
More about drive show inserted

    Have you tried a System Restore to a point before you installed the shareware
    package?

    petcol wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > All has been well, for months, then all of a sudden my Matsushita
    > DVD-RAM writer and my Pioneer DVD player will not play or record
    > DVD's.
    >
    > If I insert a playable DVD that was working, both their Icons change
    > under Windows Explorer from DVD to CD and the DVD will not play.
    >
    > If I try and burn a DVD, using Nero it goes off and started to set up
    > what appears to be a multiple session over many what appears toe be
    > CD's?
    >
    > Any suggestions please.
    >
    > I'm runnung Windows XP Pro sp2 and have had no problems, the only
    > thing I've installed was a shareware midi software package. Maybe I
    > shouldn't have :-)
    >
    > Regards
    > Col

DVD CD-Rom DVD Drives Windows XP