Radeon 9600 Pro - no video

gillyguzzler

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
Building a second computer on a Syntax SV266AD Mobo. Everything works well with an old PCI video card. I put in a ATI Radeon 9600 Pro (that works well in my primary computer) and nothing. The computer boots up but there is no signal between the card and the monitor (its light stays orange). If I put in the old PCI card, no problem. I'm running a freshly installed XP Pro.

I tried installing a Radeon 7500 and it runs fine so I know the AGP port is not defective. There is just no video signal to the monitor with the 9600 Pro. CD and HD rev up but no beeps, nothing.

Tech support from Syntax came up with the usual - not enough juice from the PSU. However, the Radeon 9600 Pro ran great using this same PSU but with a ASUS mobo, that is now in my primary computer with a different case. The present power supply is 300W. The Radeon 9600 Pro works fine in my primary computer with a 380W PSU.

I have tried unplugging everything to see if it will at least post but nothing.

I have tweaked everything in the bios without success. Max AGP for this board is 4X but the Radeon 9600 is backward compatible, as far as I know therefore it shouldn't be a problem.

Any suggestions?

__
Athlon 1700
2x256 PC2100
52x cd rom
80 gig hd
Syntax SV266AD Mobo

Try updating the chipset drivers.

And also make sure that your motherboard is at least 4X 1.5v and not the rare (but not unheard of) 4X 3.3v only. And in thus saying also make sure it supports 4X period. No 2X/3.3v+ for the R9600 series.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
I had a similar problem with a GeForce4 Ti 4200 and my Asus A7N8X. I would turn the comp on, everything would spin up, and I got no video signal. Try reseting the CMOS.

gillyguzzler

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
Thanks guys,

The AGP 4X is activated in CMOS but I don't think I can change the voltage and I don't know what it defaults at.

I have updated all drivers and have resetted the CMOS but again no signal to monitor.

Tech support from Syntax now believes it may be a compatibility issue and have urged me to wait for a bios update...could be a while!

gillyguzzler

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
New twist,

I installed a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro in this computer and it boots. So it now boots with a PCI card, a 7500 Radeon, a 9800 Pro but there is no video signal at all with the 9600Pro, which works on my primary computer.

What gives?