Tech: Strange Gallag problem...Help!

Ok guys, this one is confusing me. We have a Gallag bootleg board that
plays fine, except all the characters are missing. Now here's what is
wierd...If you cycle the power, it boots up same way, BUT, reset the
game by pulling the ribbon cable, and putting it back on, and the game
works fine (all characters present). We've already tried the typical
stuff (cable, reflow, verify ROMS, etc.) any ideas?

Thanks!

I've seen this problem before and if memory serves, this
is caused by one of the two outer Z80 CPUs (5K and 5B).
One of the signals is being held, so check the legs and
replace if necessary.

Scott C.