Sign in with
Your question

A second oppinion anyone....?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 3, 2004 10:22:35 AM

Hi. I know this is not the forum for this, but since it's grapfics card forum and this is a grafics card, or at least it is thought so, problem, I am looking for a second oppinion. This is regarding the game Far Cry and before you guys boo me and send to Far Cry forum, I have been there and been there for a while and a lot of people having same problems with the same card and nobody knows how to fix or what is wrong with it.

First my rig:
AthlonXP 2600+(FSB333)
Biostar M7NCD Pro
Gforce4 Ti4200 128Mb (56.72 driver) (o/c to 292/553)
3x512Mb DDR333 RAM
430Watt Power supply
Audigy LS

The problem:
The game installs and sets up with no problems, but around 5-10 min into playing it the screen freezes, the sound is stuck on thelast thing it played, and i can't do anything, the only way to get out of it is to manualy force a restart, that hurts me everythime i do it. I tried verious drivers, 53.03 and 56.64 and the problem is still there, the patch of thegame doesn't help either and nobody on the forum is able to provide with the reason it's happening nore with solution. So i was just wondering if any of you guys might have an idea where to look for an answer. And yes i have e-mailed ubi asking the solution, but nothing has stil arrived.

More about : oppinion

April 3, 2004 12:29:21 PM

farcry needs a DX9 graphics card. The 4200 is DX8 based card.
April 3, 2004 4:03:09 PM

Official Game Specs

<pre>Recommended

* Supported OS: Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP (only)
* Processor: AMD Athlon 2400-3000+ or Pentium 4 2-3 GHz
* RAM: 512-1024 MB
* Video Card: 128 MB GeForce 4 128 MB to GeForce FX 5950; ATI Radeon 9500-9800 XT
* Sound Card: Sound Blaster® Audigy® series
* DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (included on disc)
* DVD-ROM: 8x-16x DVD
* Hard Drive Space: 4 GB
* Multiplayer: Broadband with 64 Kbps upstream to play (512 Kbps upstream to host 8 players)

Minimum

* Supported OS: Windows® 98SE/ME/2000/XP (only)
* Processor: 1 GHz
* RAM: 256 MB
* Video Card: 64 MB DirectX® 9.0b-compatible graphics card
* Sound Card: DirectX® 9.0b-compatible PCI card
* DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (included on disc)
* DVD-ROM: 4x DVD
* Hard Drive Space: 4 GB
* Multiplayer: Broadband with 64 Kbps upstream to play (512 Kbps upstream to host 8 players)

NVIDIA® nForce(tm) or other motherboards/soundcards containing the Dolby® Digital Interactive Content Encoder required for Dolby Digital audio</pre><p>
Notice that Geforce 4 is included in the recommended list.

DirectX 9 must be installed but this does not mean that you are required to have a fully DX9 compliant video card.

A compatible card simply means it will work with DX9 installed. (So don't go looking for Rage II cards, 3DFX cards, etc).

DirectX is more than just a 3D graphics interface. It's always been an API with hooks for 2D graphics, 3d sound, voice, game controllers, music, video acceleration, codecs of all kind, and other multimedia goodies.

<b>56K, slow and steady does not win the race on internet!</b>
!