Error Message upon Bootup

I need help in troubleshooting a problem that occurs when I bootup WinXP
Home SP2.

I receive the error message, "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
encountered a problem and needed
to close."

The error signature is as follows:

szAppName: svchost.exe szAppVer: 0.0.0.0 szModName: unknown szModVer:
0.0.0.0 offset: 00000000

I assume the problem occurs on the previous shutdown. This error msg comes
up quite often, although not every
bootup. Also, the icons in the notification area do not load completely
unless I log off and then back on (same user).

Please, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce Harris
bruce-bonnie@sbcglobal.net
4 answers Last reply
More about error message bootup

    Bruce,
    Did the problem start after you downloaded the February windows updates ?
    But firstly, rule out virus activity, spyware, malware etc, plus the known
    issue with hp printers (do a search on 'generic host prcess' on the microsoft
    home page search facility). Like you, I've been getting this problem
    intermittently, and while researching it on the web plus lots of postings on
    here, I've concluded that it is related to windows update KB873333 (one of 9
    updates in February). I uninstalled this update over 2 weeks ago, and
    haven't had a reoccurrence. To do this, go to add/remove programs on the
    control panel, click on 'show updates' at the top of this window, and remove
    the February windows update KB873333. You may have to uninstall the other
    Feb updates as well, and some restarts may be required. Then apply all the
    updates again without kb873333. This will fix the problem, and microsoft will
    eventually offer a fix for kb873333. You can install all other updates since
    then as well. Microsoft do know about this problem, and are working on it.

    Hope this helps.
    Ronaldo

    Bruce Harris Wrote:
    > I need help in troubleshooting a problem that occurs when I bootup
    > WinXP
    > Home SP2.
    >
    > I receive the error message, "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
    > encountered a problem and needed
    > to close."
    >
    > The error signature is as follows:
    >
    > szAppName: svchost.exe szAppVer: 0.0.0.0 szModName: unknown
    > szModVer:
    > 0.0.0.0 offset: 00000000
    >
    > I assume the problem occurs on the previous shutdown. This error msg
    > comes
    > up quite often, although not every
    > bootup. Also, the icons in the notification area do not load
    > completely
    > unless I log off and then back on (same user).
    >
    > Please, any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bruce Harris
    > bruce-bonnie@sbcglobal.net

    Bruce, Go to 'Trend Micro'
    (http://housecall-beta.trendmicro.com/en/start_corp.asp) and do an
    online scsn.
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Thank you, Ronaldo and Treeman for your valuable suggestions. I have
    applied all of them and am awaiting a test period to see if the problem
    remains gone.

    Ronaldo, I was unable to reply to your msg. My replies to
    ronaldo@discussions.microsoft.com bounced.

    Good luck to you both,

    Bruce

    "Bruce Harris" <bruce-bonnie@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >I need help in troubleshooting a problem that occurs when I bootup WinXP
    >Home SP2.
    >
    > I receive the error message, "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
    > encountered a problem and needed
    > to close."
    >
    > The error signature is as follows:
    >
    > szAppName: svchost.exe szAppVer: 0.0.0.0 szModName: unknown
    > szModVer: 0.0.0.0 offset: 00000000
    >
    > I assume the problem occurs on the previous shutdown. This error msg
    > comes up quite often, although not every
    > bootup. Also, the icons in the notification area do not load completely
    > unless I log off and then back on (same user).
    >
    > Please, any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bruce Harris
    > bruce-bonnie@sbcglobal.net

    Ronaldo,
    how do you know Microsoft is working on this? Where are they at in fixing
    this?

    "Ronaldo" wrote:

    > Bruce,
    > Did the problem start after you downloaded the February windows updates ?
    > But firstly, rule out virus activity, spyware, malware etc, plus the known
    > issue with hp printers (do a search on 'generic host prcess' on the microsoft
    > home page search facility). Like you, I've been getting this problem
    > intermittently, and while researching it on the web plus lots of postings on
    > here, I've concluded that it is related to windows update KB873333 (one of 9
    > updates in February). I uninstalled this update over 2 weeks ago, and
    > haven't had a reoccurrence. To do this, go to add/remove programs on the
    > control panel, click on 'show updates' at the top of this window, and remove
    > the February windows update KB873333. You may have to uninstall the other
    > Feb updates as well, and some restarts may be required. Then apply all the
    > updates again without kb873333. This will fix the problem, and microsoft will
    > eventually offer a fix for kb873333. You can install all other updates since
    > then as well. Microsoft do know about this problem, and are working on it.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    > Ronaldo
    >

    > "Bruce Harris" wrote:
    >
    > > I need help in troubleshooting a problem that occurs when I bootup WinXP
    > > Home SP2.
    > >
    > > I receive the error message, "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
    > > encountered a problem and needed
    > > to close."
    > >
    > > The error signature is as follows:
    > >
    > > szAppName: svchost.exe szAppVer: 0.0.0.0 szModName: unknown szModVer:
    > > 0.0.0.0 offset: 00000000
    > >
    > > I assume the problem occurs on the previous shutdown. This error msg comes
    > > up quite often, although not every
    > > bootup. Also, the icons in the notification area do not load completely
    > > unless I log off and then back on (same user).
    > >
    > > Please, any help would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Bruce Harris
    > > bruce-bonnie@sbcglobal.net