Error Message upon Bootup

I need help in troubleshooting a problem that occurs when I bootup WinXP
Home SP2.

I receive the error message, "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
encountered a problem and needed
to close."

The error signature is as follows:

szAppName: svchost.exe szAppVer: 0.0.0.0 szModName: unknown szModVer:
0.0.0.0 offset: 00000000

I assume the problem occurs on the previous shutdown. This error msg comes
up quite often, although not every
bootup. Also, the icons in the notification area do not load completely
unless I log off and then back on (same user).

Please, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce Harris
bruce-bonnie@sbcglobal.net

ronaldo

Bruce,
Did the problem start after you downloaded the February windows updates ?
But firstly, rule out virus activity, spyware, malware etc, plus the known
issue with hp printers (do a search on 'generic host prcess' on the microsoft
home page search facility). Like you, I've been getting this problem
intermittently, and while researching it on the web plus lots of postings on
here, I've concluded that it is related to windows update KB873333 (one of 9
updates in February). I uninstalled this update over 2 weeks ago, and
haven't had a reoccurrence. To do this, go to add/remove programs on the
control panel, click on 'show updates' at the top of this window, and remove
the February windows update KB873333. You may have to uninstall the other
Feb updates as well, and some restarts may be required. Then apply all the
updates again without kb873333. This will fix the problem, and microsoft will
eventually offer a fix for kb873333. You can install all other updates since
then as well. Microsoft do know about this problem, and are working on it.

Hope this helps.
Ronaldo

Bruce Harris Wrote:
> I need help in troubleshooting a problem that occurs when I bootup
> WinXP
> Home SP2.
>
> I receive the error message, "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
> encountered a problem and needed
> to close."
>
> The error signature is as follows:
>
> szAppName: svchost.exe szAppVer: 0.0.0.0 szModName: unknown
> szModVer:
> 0.0.0.0 offset: 00000000
>
> I assume the problem occurs on the previous shutdown. This error msg
> comes
> up quite often, although not every
> bootup. Also, the icons in the notification area do not load
> completely
> unless I log off and then back on (same user).
>
> Please, any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bruce Harris
> bruce-bonnie@sbcglobal.net

Bruce, Go to 'Trend Micro'
(http://housecall-beta.trendmicro.com/en/start_corp.asp) and do an
online scsn.
Treeman

--
Treeman

Thank you, Ronaldo and Treeman for your valuable suggestions. I have
applied all of them and am awaiting a test period to see if the problem
remains gone.

Ronaldo, I was unable to reply to your msg. My replies to
ronaldo@discussions.microsoft.com bounced.

Good luck to you both,

Bruce

"Bruce Harris" <bruce-bonnie@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>I need help in troubleshooting a problem that occurs when I bootup WinXP
>Home SP2.
>
> I receive the error message, "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
> encountered a problem and needed
> to close."
>
> The error signature is as follows:
>
> szAppName: svchost.exe szAppVer: 0.0.0.0 szModName: unknown
> szModVer: 0.0.0.0 offset: 00000000
>
> I assume the problem occurs on the previous shutdown. This error msg
> comes up quite often, although not every
> bootup. Also, the icons in the notification area do not load completely
> unless I log off and then back on (same user).
>
> Please, any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bruce Harris
> bruce-bonnie@sbcglobal.net

Casi

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002

Ronaldo,
how do you know Microsoft is working on this? Where are they at in fixing
this?