DonnieDarko

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2004
I'm building a computer for gaming, but i'm stuck on what graphics card to get. I'm on a tight budget so i'm thinking either a asus geforce fx 5900 or a ATI stock 9800 pro. I'm leaning more towards the 5900 because i play counter-strike competively and i know that the 9800 has serval driver problems with the half-life engine. Can anyone give me there input?

Baxter

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2004
9800 pro definatly, THERE R NO DRIVER PROBLEMS!!!

Athlon XP 2800+, ASUS A7N8X-X
512mb PC2700 DDR <font color=red>(6-2-2-2)</font color=red>
128mb ATI Radeon 9800 Pro <font color=red>(430/376)</font color=red>
WD 80GB SE 7,200rpm
3D Mark03 Score <font color=red>6,100</font color=red>

Baxter

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2004
That is to do with the 3.8/3.9 and it dosnt occour in the newer ones ie 4.3 etc, i play counter-strike and dont experience any problems it runs better then my old geforce 4 in cs, tell ur friends to update there drivers.

Athlon XP 2800+, ASUS A7N8X-X
512mb PC2700 DDR <font color=red>(6-2-2-2)</font color=red>
128mb ATI Radeon 9800 Pro <font color=red>(430/376)</font color=red>
WD 80GB SE 7,200rpm
3D Mark03 Score <font color=red>6,100</font color=red>

I believe your friends really need to learn how to update their drivers.

BTW, there's problems with BOTH cards and CS. Not supported by the original makers. However, most of the glitches for both cards are gone, now it's simply the small complaints of people who should really buy consoles.

And for the 500th time..., if you want to play CS, go out and buy a 2nd hand DELL with a GF4MX card for a song and be very happy. Play the real games on a better computer.

R9800XT/FX5950U or an NV40/R42X will add nothing to CS. And seriously coding for that game is obviously more trouble than it's worth.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

pauldh

Illustrious
I have never played CS so I couldn't comment on the driver issues, but I can't imagine giving up what the 9800 Pro has to offer for an old game like that. Yes, some people expect to load the drivers off their card's installation CD and just game on forever in bliss. Serves them right for having issues, being only console-capable-gamers like you said.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

lik

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2004
I play CS every day with my 9800Pro! The thing is, The max with the Ati is 250Fps and with my 5600 nu I get almost 400! But what the hell if 250Fps isn't good enough lol!

P4-2800->FSB800, Asus P4P800, 512DDR-400, Radeon 9800 Pro - 128Mb

I never said i only play cs.
And did I say you did? No! Read again Dumba$$!

However now that you broach the subject, you're decision to base your purchase of a modern card on a game so old it can be played on pcs I've GIVEN away, shows that you're myopic enough that it might as well be the only game you play.

That's why I said get two PCs. One with all the kkick ass gear for all the modern games, and one you can buy for $100 in the bargain finder for CS. Of course you could just buy the FX5900 and then bitch about why it kicks ass in CS, but sucks in every other game.

In the long run, it won't really matter because you're obviously not competitive enough to build a CS only system, simply a poser who claims to be compeittive.

Yahoo, I'm competitive in Tetris, yada yada!

If building a econd crap ass system for CS is too expensive for you, perhaps you need to stop playing CS and get a real job.

Either that or go out an buy an XBOX and let MS take away all those tough decisions like drivers and patches.

Don't assume and try to trash people if you don't know what your talking about.
That's pretty funny coming from you. Considering the depth of your misunderstanding you should just stop posting all together.
If you even bothered to read perhaps you wouldn't look like such an Idi0t!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

DonnieDarko

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2004
"That's why I said get two PCs. One with all the kkick ass gear for all the modern games, and one you can buy for $100 in the bargain finder for CS. Of course you could just buy the FX5900 and then bitch about why it kicks ass in CS, but sucks in every other game."
Tell me how the 5900 sucks in every other game? As i can tell by benchmarks there only what a 5-15 fps difference in pretty much every game and in somegames the 5900 has higher benchs then the 9800.

"In the long run, it won't really matter because you're obviously not competitive enough to build a CS only system, simply a poser who claims to be compeittive."
I don't know one person that plays cs that has a computer just for cs(unless they lan with friends alot and have a shuttle). And yeah i'm a poser even though i've been in playing for 3 years(#zl calo-m seasons 7,8,9)

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
The 9800np pretty much has the performance of a 9700pro, a little worse because of slower ram clock. The 9800np gets more recommendations since it has the possibility to overclock to the pro's speeds, and ATI cards has better image quality, and performs much better when AA/AF are on. I went with the FX5900 solution, because where i get my stuff it's 90CAD cheaper than the 9800pro, and i can't get the non-pro cards. If price difference is minimal let's say 10USD, then the ATI card would be preferable.

-AMD Athlon64 3200+@2300mhz -GAK8N -3x512 Hynix PC3200 ram@192mhz 2.5-3-3-7 -Albatron 5900PV @ 560/1000 -SB Audigy -Adaptec 1210SA Raid -2x120G Seagate SATA150 7200.7 Raid0 -Enermax 460watt psu

DonnieDarko

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2004
I agree, i never said the 5900 was a completely better card than the 9800. I have suggested the 9800. It's a great card. But some games that i play (unreal tournaments, jedi knights, half-life based games and hoping to get doom3) the 5900 performs alittle better than the 9800. I never considered myself a fan boy of either company. right now i have a 9100 in this computer and on another a have a geforce4. I think it depends on what your plan on using the card for.

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Yes it's quite easy to attack or offend in these forums. the entire tghf's can be quite senitive about looking correct on a topic. I know I reccommended You come to the graphics section to get better advice as I figured the 9800pro was the better option over the 5900. But these guys could better explain the pros and cons of each card.

I kinda regret telling you to come here. and I'm a little embarrased on how they treated you. It's not as if you are screaming you are right and can't be wrong just trying to learn why is all.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

If this were his ONLY post/thread he wouldn't have gotten the reception he did.

Instead he posted what amounts to a TON of missinformation in other threads; and so when it comes to his own, he won't get the leeway that someone who truely is a nOOb asking a nOOb question would get. Those people are only looking for advice, not dispensing bad 'advice' which may F' up someone else's purchase.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=392543#392543" target="_new">First , piece of garbage I saw</A>

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=392563#392563" target="_new">Second, the lack of PCI cards (there are many, and they will continue to be made)</A>

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=392602#392602" target="_new">Third, was the memory interface bitwidth</A>

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=392566#392566" target="_new">Fourth, a complete missunderstanding of the need for a boot disk</A>

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=392601#392601" target="_new">Fifth, poor idea of what MS DX is</A>

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=392644#392644" target="_new">Sixth, thanks for pointing out the reliability of the cards, read reviews you say? I should try that!</A> :wink:

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=392653#392653" target="_new">WS, gets into the act expresing what ALOT of people are feeling, even if they would be a little more reserved while expressing that view</A>

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=392662#392662" target="_new">And when Baxter agrees (rather mildly), dd decides to attack him, which really announces "open season!" to many people here</A>

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=392663#392663" target="_new">And back to WS's statement, we get this BS about the super D]|[ performance of the FX5950 vs the R9800 (50-70% better, eh? According to WHO??)</A>

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=392672#392672" target="_new">Add a litle extra D]|[ BS (32bit colour vs FP32, and the old nV-centric D]|[ benchies), and he's begun to dig a deep DEEP hole for himself.</A>

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=392594#392594" target="_new">And the post that coloured every BS thing he said with "i am a nvidia guy"</A>

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=392591#392591" target="_new">Followed by this extension of that style</A>

Comes off as someone who doesn't know the basics of the graphics card world, and shouldn't be dispensing advice. Even worse it looks like a poor attempt at an nVidiot troll pervading the forum.

And not to mention that the intro to this thread contained info that paints an inaccurate picture. Esepcially for one who's inaccuracies have tended to not be evenhanded.

Seriously, it's like walking blindly into a minefield wearing pogo-stilts!

That's my gripe. Pure and simple. Blind bad advice at best, intentional dis-information at worst.

I'm sorry that you feel you should take any of the blame for directing him here, either from him or us. But really, it's his own actions that dictated his fate in this forum, and it wasn't an isolated incident or reaction.

Perhaps you know a better version of him, but the one that presented itself here (in a 72hr period) was not someone to curry favour easily, and I wouldn't want to see what else would be presented.

<i>Did someone say <b>Currie Flavoured</b></i>? MMMmmmm! :evil:

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Ok grape I really only read the first 5. yeah he should not be offering a whole lot of advice and needs to know most posters here are fairly well informed.

I don't know why I am trying to help him out maybe cause his last name resembles my nick.

I do see he does not argue when shown wrong. and we are all here to learn and share knowledge. mock and ridicule aswell,

I did not see the other posts he made till now. But he does not seem hung up on being right, and believes he is helpful when posting so take it easy. You will scare him away and who knows mabe you will become his great teacher.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

Well I don't wish to coddle people at the expense of others, but I will leave it where it stands.

Hopefully the future does have better things in store.

How does the saying go?

Blessed are the Meek, for they.... shall increase my score in UT2K4! :evil:

Be well Darko21, and may all your human sized bunnies be of the Playboy variety. :cool:

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
If your getting the 9800 don't get the saphire card, lots of known problems with it. I suggest getting the ATI stock version. although i am a nvidia guy, I believe they have less issues and run more stable, but that's just my opinion.

its been rumoured on ALot of forums (because some people work on the inside, and/or have enough compouter knowledge to be able to tell wen a PCB comes from a particular company) that Sapphire actually MAKES Ati's own boards! they are so close in quality that i tend to give it some validity, altho it hasnt been actually confirmed yet

you gotta love people who make stuff up off the top of their heads just because it "sounds" right to increase how knowledgeable they look! personally i wish it would stop because it misleads the people who come here and read casually, and then go and waste 200 bucks because of things liek above ^

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
I play CS every day with my 9800Pro! The thing is, The max with the Ati is 250Fps and with my 5600 nu I get almost 400! But what the hell if 250Fps isn't good enough lol!
i thought the maximum the engine could display was 99fps?

i havent seen a monitor under 400$ that does 1280x1024 over 120hz so anything above 120fps would be lost ANYWAYS

im sure he doesnt have a 400$ monitor.. more than likely hes playing at 1024 @ 120hz, or 1280 @ 85/60hz

but yes, gimme high quality AA/AF, over meaningless numbers ;)

ps- i used to play CS on my GF2 mx400 @ full detail , 70fps average or so.. slightly higher with better IQ on my Radeon256.. in D3D mode of course
-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>