Graphics card in a PCI slot?

DonnieDarko

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2004
there are very few pci graphics cards left. Companies such as Dell makes there computers without an agp slot because it is cheaper. So for some unlucky few the only way to go is pci. The best pci card i think they made was the ATI 9100. But i heard that card is extremely hard to find. But if your forced to go pci i suggest trying to find one of these online. And by the way these pci cards are very slow compared to agp cards because of there port bandwidth.

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
Newegg lists 28 PCI cards in stock and shipping now, best being a Radeon 9200 or an FX 5200, depending on if you prefer Nvidia or ATI.

THer'es still a noticble market for PCI cards for multiple display setups, especially for business/graphics design type usages(CAD, etc) that need more displays(best I know of in a single AGP slot is a three head display, off the top of my head, for hte Parahelia. Appian has a 4 head pci card(actually more than one, probably, but at least one). Combine the two for 7 displays in only two slots.

Seriously, stop giving advice, you don't know what you're talking about at all. Best YOU not suggest anything!

First, there are alot of PCI cards out there.

Second, the R9200 isn't only 64bit memory, there is also 128bit models. BTW, the 'BUS' would be the PCI BUS and a 64bit BUS would be greatd, I have 2 of them, they are called PCI-X. And a PCI-X graphics card would be MUCH better.

The R9200 is on par with any other PCI card out there, even the FX5600PCI which it often bests, and when it loses the FX5600 is only marginally better (a few %) because the cards saturate the PCI bus quickly.

Now, maybe it's cause your dead (mainly brain dead), or hallucinating giant bunnies, but seriously enough with the BS advice, this is like the 3rd or 4th time you've posted absolute crap here in the past 24hrs.

Now go see your shrink and see if she can help you.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

I would suggest the ATI R9200 and the nV FX5200 as well.

Get whichever of the two has the features you want at the price you like, they will be pretty close in performance and features varying from app to app. The DX9/PS2.0 compliance of the FX5200 is only for show, even on the AGP models. Think of it as prettier slideshows.

There is an FX5600PCI, but it's terrible, at a huge premium. The FX5200 more often than not outperforms it, and so does the R9200.

From the ATI side, I recently recommended <A HREF="http://www.hisdigital.com/html/9200pci.htm" target="_new">THIS</A> HIS R9200 card to a friend and he loves it for basic video playback and editing (comes with VIVO) on his old IBM;

<A HREF="http://www.hisdigital.com/html/9200pci.htm" target="_new">http://www.hisdigital.com/html/9200pci.htm</A>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

LOL!

For you Nights, nothing! :lol:

I mean C'mon, did you read that crap?

Oh well off to watch the Sopranos.

DonnieDarko

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2004
your right i thought he was saying the 9200se, i've never seen a non-se version in pci form till you posted it.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by donniedarko on 04/05/04 03:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

andrewd

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003
I would like to thank everyone for all the good advice. I still don't know what I am going to do, but I will study the cards you have recommended and see which is best for me.

Thanks again.

If you're looking long term, maybe a mobo upgrade would be in order. Depends on what the rest of your system is. With the cards we're talking about even an R9100 RS300 IGP mobo would be about the same performance, and allow you to slap in a cheap powerful graphics card in the future.

Really depends on what you're working with now, and whether a new mobo means alot more parts, like memory and such. Although there are older Athlon boards that will still use PC133 RAM and DDR (not at same time) that would allow you a partial upgrade, and take things very slow.

Just another thing to consider if you're unsure of where you're going.

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
sure I did read that crap... :tongue:
I mean..he's just trying to give his advice with his knownledge..althought they are mesing up :lol:
so now you see? this forum can't exist without people like you :wink:

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I got a PCI Visionteck ATI 9100 for my sister last week from overstock.com for $50, and the ram is better than the ram on an AGP Sapphire 9100 I ordered for a friend last year... stock 250/250, and I have not tested it much, but it is currently overclocked to 279/279... yesterday, they were still in stock...

<font color=red><b>The mind is in its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, Book II

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
No, very true, especially when this pci card is powered by a Celeron 2.0 GHz cpu... but it was nice to see the default ram at 250 instead of the 200 on my friend's agp card... still, the pci card only scored ~6,000 on 3DMark2001SE...

<font color=red><b>The mind is in its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, Book II