Computer Loosing Connection to Server??

Hello,

I have about 12 computers in a Win2K domain called Construction. The AD
server is Called Pluto and resides at 10.10.10.1. This machine also hosts
our primary share for data.

One of my workstations reciently started dropping its connection to the
server for no apparent reason? It is random and I had only seen it the other
night myself.

When in the middle of working, the workstation will loose all connections to
the server as if the server disappeared. You cannot access any shares on the
server from the workstation, nor can you access the server by dns.

Our connection to the internet is through a Yahoo DSL router, and each PC
has the DNS of our AD as primary, then the two DNS entries of the Yahoo
server as secondary.

I am able to resolve any addresses on the internet fine, and I am able to
ping the server by IP address (10.10.10.1) but even then I am not able to do
a unc to the server by IP to see any shares. The machines have receintly had
SP2 installed, but this issue started before the SP2 upgrade from SP1. Also
the event logs don't seem like anything is wrong

At first from what the user described is that she couldn't access anything,
so I was starting to assume it was the network card. But when it happened to
me I was able to access other resouces fine.

This has happened to another machine on the network once, but this one
particular computer it is happeneing multiple times in a day and the user is
loosing work. While this occurs on that PC, other PC's on the network are
able to reach the server fine.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong? I am stumped.
Thank you,

Bumping to top, has anyone seen this before? It is causing a lot of lost
work for the user.

I retrieved the logs from the user and have ziped them up if maybe that
would help with disgnosing this. the only interesting thing I see now is
messages in the system that the E100B Link is up for network card, and
messages in the application log about automatic certificate enrollment failed
to contact active directory. But when the user has the problem, she is still
able to resolve internet addresses?

Here is a link to the zip file for the logs:
http://www.registrars.kent.edu/home/Debug_Logs.zip

Thanks,
Nathan

"Nathan Truhan" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have about 12 computers in a Win2K domain called Construction. The AD
> server is Called Pluto and resides at 10.10.10.1. This machine also hosts
> our primary share for data.
>
> One of my workstations reciently started dropping its connection to the
> server for no apparent reason? It is random and I had only seen it the other
> night myself.
>
> When in the middle of working, the workstation will loose all connections to
> the server as if the server disappeared. You cannot access any shares on the
> server from the workstation, nor can you access the server by dns.
>
> Our connection to the internet is through a Yahoo DSL router, and each PC
> has the DNS of our AD as primary, then the two DNS entries of the Yahoo
> server as secondary.
>
> I am able to resolve any addresses on the internet fine, and I am able to
> ping the server by IP address (10.10.10.1) but even then I am not able to do
> a unc to the server by IP to see any shares. The machines have receintly had
> SP2 installed, but this issue started before the SP2 upgrade from SP1. Also
> the event logs don't seem like anything is wrong
>
> At first from what the user described is that she couldn't access anything,
> so I was starting to assume it was the network card. But when it happened to
> me I was able to access other resouces fine.
>
> This has happened to another machine on the network once, but this one
> particular computer it is happeneing multiple times in a day and the user is
> loosing work. While this occurs on that PC, other PC's on the network are
> able to reach the server fine.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong? I am stumped.
> Thank you,

I rebuild the computer having this problem from an old working image,
updated it, even installed a new NIC and still they are being bumped from
the network at random. Like I mentioned, the applications lock, they are
not able to hit the server (AD/File Server), but are able to resolve outside
DNS. I even checked and the topmost DNS IP is that of the AD server. Am I
the only one who has ever had this problem?