Chkdsk performing different on C partition

gamesstate

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hello

I have a Seagate 120GB SATA disk with two partitions, a 30 gb for the
OS (XP Pro SP2) and a 90 gb for other things.
If I run chkdsk c: inside the OS it finds problems. If it runs after
restart its OK.
I ran it inside the recovery console and it didnt found problems. But
again if I run it from inside Windows it finds problems.

Any ideas about this,
-Dan

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:1113834772.810496.5960@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com,
gamesstate@gmail.com <gamesstate@gmail.com> had this to say:

> Hello
>
> I have a Seagate 120GB SATA disk with two partitions, a 30 gb for the
> OS (XP Pro SP2) and a 90 gb for other things.
> If I run chkdsk c: inside the OS it finds problems. If it runs after
> restart its OK.
> I ran it inside the recovery console and it didnt found problems. But
> again if I run it from inside Windows it finds problems.
>
> Any ideas about this,
> -Dan

Running chkdsk from inside of the OS is sure to give you errors if it's the
partition that you're booted to. Try this:

start > run > type "chkdsk c: /f /r" without the quotes > hit enter > It
should ask you about running it at the next reboot after telling you that it
can't dismount the drive. Tell it that's what you want to do and reboot.
However, if you've already run it outside of the OS and didn't find any
problems then you should be all set. Additionally the /r switch implies the
/f but it doesn't always work so using both will not harm anything or make
it take any longer and, as a bonus, will insure that the /f switch is indeed
applied.

Galen

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

<gamesstate@gmail.com> wrote in message

> If I run chkdsk c: inside the OS it finds problems.

Oh, problems. Yeah, uh huh, that was clear. When you use Start -> Help
and Support and search on "chkdsk", what does the 2nd paragraph for the
first match say? Something about Recovery Console.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2001/Mar01/Mar27pmvp.asp

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

<gamesstate@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I have a Seagate 120GB SATA disk with two partitions, a 30 gb for the
> OS (XP Pro SP2) and a 90 gb for other things.
> If I run chkdsk c: inside the OS it finds problems. If it runs after
> restart its OK.
> I ran it inside the recovery console and it didnt found problems. But
> again if I run it from inside Windows it finds problems.
>
> Any ideas about this,
> -Dan

To check for errors in XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265