R9800 Pro 128/256

Jenesis

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2004
Hi, sorry if I'm repeating an old question. I did a search, but came up blank.

I'll soon be buying new graphics card, my GF4MX440 needs replacing, and I'm looking at a Radeon 9800Pro. Now, you're (very helpful) graphics card guide says not to bother with the 256MB version, as there's no need for the extra memory. However, I intend to have this card for some time to come, and I'm wondering whether it's likely that having the extra memory will make a difference a year or more down the line, thereby extending the life of my card a little?

Cheers.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Not likely. The reason I say this is this. While future games will take advantage of more than 128mb of video ram, they will only do so at very high settings. If you were to run these settings (even with the 256mb card), it would be too much for it, as there would be next gen 256mb cards out that such settings are meant for.

So basically, while you could theoretically use the extra ram, any settings that WOULD use that ram, would be too much for the card to handle anyways. Want 15 fps instead of 12? Go for the ram. If you run at settings playable (40-60fps) for the card, you won't likely be using more than 128mb of RAM ever.

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?