Cheaper LCD Panels On the Way; Wallets Rejoice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksenter

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Aren't Hot Cathodes what they usually use in CRT's... I wish I knew more about this, I'm curious why they were previously using cold cathodes for LCDs and why they're switching now...

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I still prefer the now so cheap CRTs. Can't beat their 40+ years of proven reliability :) (And repairability... and uglyness... but I couldn't care less, 40$CAN for a 22 inches 1600x1200 85HZ screen for which I have spare parts, there's nothing to complain on this. Screw LCD.. and such :) )

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Most of all, Hitachi said that HCFL panels will require only two to three times less lamps, all while delivering more brightness.

Oh come on, you're KILLING me.

For some reason, Excel 07 doesn't like the formula "two to three times less"...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]ksenter[/nom]Aren't Hot Cathodes what they usually use in CRT's... I wish I knew more about this, I'm curious why they were previously using cold cathodes for LCDs and why they're switching now...[/citation]
I believe they are. Its amazing how often people look backwards and find a more efficient solution. Who knows why they used cold cathodes, probably just something they always did with LCDs, and no one bothered to consider hot cathodes until now.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]Oh come on, you're KILLING me.For some reason, Excel 07 doesn't like the formula "two to three times less"...[/citation]
Yea that made me cringe too.

[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]I have never repaired a CRT. Isn't that dangerous?[/citation]
Yea. I think there are reasons why you can't throw CRT units away either. Something bad lol.

Hot Cathodes? Initially I would have thought this would be a bad switch from cold cathodes, but if it really does mean cheaper equal, or better quality LCDs, then I'm happy. I've been waiting for a sub $200 28" monitor.

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]jerther[/nom]I still prefer the now so cheap CRTs. Can't beat their 40+ years of proven reliability (And repairability... and uglyness... but I couldn't care less, 40$CAN for a 22 inches 1600x1200 85HZ screen for which I have spare parts, there's nothing to complain on this. Screw LCD.. and such )[/citation]
I bet it looks nice next to your LPs.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Very true. Much like we are now trying to reinvent our electric grid to DC. It is possible to do now, where in the 1800's it was impractical. Think of how much more efficient our grid will be when we don't have to use power supplies (AC adapters) on all our fans and electronics.

crisisavatar

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]jerther[/nom]I still prefer the now so cheap CRTs. Can't beat their 40+ years of proven reliability (And repairability... and uglyness... but I couldn't care less, 40$CAN for a 22 inches 1600x1200 85HZ screen for which I have spare parts, there's nothing to complain on this. Screw LCD.. and such )[/citation]
Welcome to the future, we value progress here.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
It looks very BAD. It's ugly and most of all HEAVY! But hey, I have no fun looking at it from behind and lifting it :)

Of course this is old technology. But I still think it is worth the 40$ for such a high definition, which IMHO is more important than having the latest technology. But it's two different world: brand new and used stuff.

The headline states "Wallets rejoice". What kind of state of the art screen do you get for 40$? New, forget it. Used, there's a good chance of having something very good and that will still work in two years.

As for repair: it's not THAT dangerous. It's dangerous to hit it with a hammer or a mace. But you could even drop it and chances are that it won't even break. Have you dropped a TV? :) Only the plastic takes the hit.

Voltages are high inside but don't carry much power. The real danger there is to take a shock and dropping off your chair on the neck.

In my job, I see so many LCD screens destroyed by people who still don't get that you DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGER IN THE SCREEN. I didn't see such things on CRTs and I wouldn't even dare dropping one.

Well, my whole point is not really relevant to the topic here, it's just about the wallet part ;) I like technology. I just don't have the money to buy the latest, and that's why I prefer repairable electronics. I could go on forever on this.. maybe on an article that's more about it :)

G

I won't know if it consumes less than OLED screen, since Oled already consumes less energy, while being brighter and more colorful. Would this be what they are talking about?

G

Does this mean like CTR and OLED that with a lot of bright sunlight it will be hard to see the screen?
On current TFT/LCD technology the sun can be used as backlight to light the screen

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Hey, I still have my 21" Sony Trinitron CRT and game on it. I tried gaming on my nice 24" LCD but it really didn't work for me with the wide aspect ratio. Sadly the CRT is showing signs of age, it might have to go soon :( Maybe I can get a smoking hot (har har) cathode LCD :)

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Me like.

Buying a brand new 1280x1024 LCD costs less than $100, so what will these be at?

The biggest thing I can think of a use for is my fathers laptop. The thing is a massive beast, and such resulting in a huge screen requiring a lot of power. This would make significant longer battery life.

stevo777

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
I didn't see any mention of when this tech would be available.

@hellwig. The reason they haven't used the old style cathode is because they are huge. That is what took up the bulk of the CRT's. This scant article left all that pertinent info out. Hitachi must have come up with a way to make a hot cathode unit or units that were very slim.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Honestly I thought LCDs hit rock bottom for prices but lower prices are welcome but all means. True Story... I moved my 19" LCD monitor today to chase down some dust bunnies only to find a 15" LCD monitor tucked behind it. Holy bleep these things are so cheap that I forget that I even have them.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
[citation][nom]ksenter[/nom]Aren't Hot Cathodes what they usually use in CRT's... I wish I knew more about this, I'm curious why they were previously using cold cathodes for LCDs and why they're switching now...[/citation]

No, CRT's are actually what the acronym stands for. Cathode Ray Tube's. Literally, a thick glass tube shaped in the proper manner, with the "front" or viewing side coated in a reactive phospherescent(sp?) material that generated a picture depending the intensity of the beam hitting it.

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]jerther[/nom]As for repair: it's not THAT dangerous. It's dangerous to hit it with a hammer or a mace. But you could even drop it and chances are that it won't even break. Have you dropped a TV? Only the plastic takes the hit.

Voltages are high inside but don't carry much power. The real danger there is to take a shock and dropping off your chair on the neck.[/citation]

Last I checked the high voltage line in the CRTs would light you up enough to kill you. But that is easily mitigated by grounding your screw driver as you pop the plug out of the tube (not something to try unless you've been shown how to do it properly though). Also I've found hitting CRTs with hammers isn't that dangerous given that the tubes implode.

G

Will they last longer? Or will they commonly find themselves out with the evening trash? I think I'll stick with proven technology until this HCFL is matured. I don't want to buy a monitor at the same rate I buy incandescent light bulbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.