Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Permanently disable stuck F1 key from laptop keyboard

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
June 16, 2012 5:49:37 PM

Hello,
I have an old compaq presario laptop that has an annoying habit of F1 key getting stuck, so whenever I start the computer it enters setup, I cleaned the keyboard with several methods I found on the web but after sometime the same F! key gets stuck. I want to permanently remove/ disable this key on the keyboard's hardware. can some one guide me how this can be done without disturbing other key functions
a c 248 D Laptop
June 16, 2012 11:01:05 PM

Hi :) 

I own a lappy repair company...

Two ways...only...

1, Physically pry off the key....it should work...

2, You will have to remove the keyboard cable from underneath the keyboard...BUT you will lose ALL THE KEYS, and have to use a USB keyboard...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
June 17, 2012 6:12:07 PM


Hi Brett, Thanks for your reply
I've tried physically prying off the key....it didn't work, removing the keyboard cable necessitates an external keyboard, something very inconvenient, replacement keyboard is costly. I want to disable this one key alone, I am thinking about something like selectively destroying the tiny circuit behind the rubber dome, but how this can be done safely without disturbing the remaining keys, I am not sure. Can someone help?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
June 17, 2012 6:31:56 PM

USB keyboards are costly? Can pick one up for $5 at a garage sale.
m
0
l
a c 248 D Laptop
June 17, 2012 6:34:16 PM

shahab123 said:
Hi Brett, Thanks for your reply
I've tried physically prying off the key....it didn't work, removing the keyboard cable necessitates an external keyboard, something very inconvenient, replacement keyboard is costly. I want to disable this one key alone, I am thinking about something like selectively destroying the tiny circuit behind the rubber dome, but how this can be done safely without disturbing the remaining keys, I am not sure. Can someone help?



Hi :) 

I would guess its the rubber dome sticking down....so FORCE off the key and pull off the dome...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
June 18, 2012 8:58:03 AM

No sir, A laptop replacement keyboard is costly.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
June 18, 2012 8:59:24 AM

He didnt say a replacement laptop keyboard, he said a USB keyboard if you disable the keyboard by unplugging it from the motherboard.
m
0
l
June 18, 2012 9:00:50 AM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

I would guess its the rubber dome sticking down....so FORCE off the key and pull off the dome...

All the best Brett :) 


No the the rubber membrane dome can be easily lifted up. any more suggestion welcome.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
June 18, 2012 9:08:15 AM

shahab123 said:
No the the rubber membrane dome can be easily lifted up. any more suggestion welcome.


I don't suppose cleaning the traces with a pencil eraser was one of the things you tried?

Does it stop being stuck when you pry the key up and lift the dome? if so you could cover the trace or remove the dome. I wouldn't suggest anything drastic that's a rather important key...
m
0
l
June 19, 2012 6:36:41 AM

unksol said:
I don't suppose cleaning the traces with a pencil eraser was one of the things you tried?

Does it stop being stuck when you pry the key up and lift the dome? if so you could cover the trace or remove the dome. I wouldn't suggest anything drastic that's a rather important key...


I tried what you suggested, Nothing except disconnecting the keyboard works, It seems that the problem is short circuiting in the little circuit beneath the key, that keeps the circuit connected as if the key is permanently pressed. For me not having F1 key is not a big problem, I need it only to enter the setup, for that I can connect a ps/2 keyboard when needed.
Thanks for your continued interest.
m
0
l
!