nV to drop the FX5900XT to save the FX5700 series

The inquirer is saying that nV will drop the FX5900XT because it's hurting the FX5700 series, and at a cost to nV as well.

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15170" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15170</A>

So for those of you who like nV cards, get them while they last, for the rest of you get the R9800/pro while THEY last.

EDIT: Also of interest ATI is putting pressure on it's Board Partners not to carry the XGI line (not really a fan of that move);

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15180" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15180</A>

Seriously, why be worried about XGI of all people ?!?

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 04/05/04 04:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
read my post and u'll see why :D:D:D:D:D:D

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
never tried to go crazy when it comes to o/cing.
THGC's resident Asian and Graphics Forum's resident nVboy :D

Which post?

Linky-linky please! :lol:

Not the April-fools one !?!?!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

ecar016

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2002
the reason for this is a little misleading....My bet is ATI is buying SiS and SiS owns a large chunk of XGI. Seems like a possible conflict of interest here but ATI may hope to downgrade the value or possibilities of XGI in order to reduce the cost if the SiS purchase.

EC

<font color=red> Quantum Computers! - very interesting </font color=red>

Ati buying XGI seems to no longer be on the table.

I doubt that has anything to do with it. If anything it's in retaliation for the deal falling through.

But who knows, maybe there's something to that.

I just don't see it being that big a deal to ATI one way or another. Surprising, they didn't do this with Gigabyte and the rest when they wanted to go to nV.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
yes the april fools one :D:D:D:D:D:D

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
never tried to go crazy when it comes to o/cing.
THGC's resident Asian and Graphics Forum's resident nVboy :D

pauldh

Illustrious
Makes sense to me. It was obvious from the start to us that the 5900XT would kill 5700U sales. I think NV felt they needed to do it at any cost, and now they don't see it as worth while anymore. There is enough hype with NV40 now, and they need to sell off these new GDDR3 5700U's. When people see they don't outperform the first FX5700U's never mind the 5900XT, who is going to pay extra for the memory. Only the tricked and misinformed.

The 5900XT served it's purpose well I think. It placed a 59xx card down under $200 to help salesman push the card over other midrange options, and it gave NV fanboys some bait to grab long enough to hook them into not going R9800P and keep suggesting the FX5900XT instead.

I agree with you that for NV fanboys, their best FX option will be gone if NV pulls the 5900XT.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
I dunno....the eVGA 5700U that I had(temporarily) was a really neat little card, and the driver interface for it was great. No comparison to my 9800, but I dug it.

<A HREF="http://rmitz.org/AYB3.swf" target="_new">All your base are belong to us.</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2216718" target="_new"><b>3DMark03</b></A>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Probably did that to make the 5700 with the new DDR3 worth it. Still big deal man that DDR3 wont improve crap with that series.

Mobile Barton 2500+ @ 2420mhz 11x220 1.7v
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro(420/730)

cleeve

Illustrious
This is a sad day for Nvidiots.

The 5900XT was their great hope. If it goes there will be truly no reason to select a GeforceFX product in any price point, especially with the 9800 PROs at the $200 mark.

Indeed, the only price point that Nvidia will command will be the sub-$100 category with the Geforce4 Ti... which they haven't tried to peddle for some time, but just won't die.

Let's hope NV40/R420 makes things interesting again, or the 5700 Ultra is dropped to $170 or so.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
yea who the hecks going to buy a 5700ultra when a 9600xt is cheaper and faster in alot of areas..

you know what i mean.

the GDDR3 is tempting if you wanna overclock, but still, a 9600xt @ 550-600/650 would probably kick its ass

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
and it gave NV fanboys some bait to grab long enough to hook them into not going R9800P and keep suggesting the FX5900XT instead.

I dont know if the 5900XT is JUST for fanboys.. the card rocks for the price and has great o/c'ability.

But your right, it does kill alot of interest in the FX line for me and everyone else (not "just NV fanboys").

If you have to be a NV fanboy to consider the 5900XT, then you are either an idiot or a ATI fanboy (which is = to an idiot).

I'm sure supply will last long enough until the NV40 based stuff is out (if this is true.. it IS the inquirer) regardless.

2sense.

pauldh

Illustrious
Yeah i won't argue that. The Ti4200 and FX5900XT are the only NV cards I'd really consider buying now. But the fact that FX5900XT is usually so close in price to R9700Pro and not much lower than R9800 Pro, makes me not really think it's worth it unless you want an NV card. Maybe Fanboy is too harsh. Not everyone who would buy this card is a fanboy. Some may have just had a bad experience with an older ATI and want to stick with NV. (Right?) :) This is their card. At $160 like you once linked to, I think it is a great card no doubt. At $190 I lose all interest. But if you want NV and their drivers like you do, What is better than the FX5900XT?

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Yep.
I'm not saying I would buy a 5900XT over a 9800 Pro necessarily.

If the 5900XT was $175 and the 9800 $210 (the current US prices), its still certainly worth considering both.
Fanboy or not.
Thats $35. And the 5900XT can (depending on which one you get) can be flashed to a 5900Ultra (great chances), or even a 5950 Ultra (moderate to low chances).
Plus, you gotta consider the NV driver advantage and superior features.

On the OTHER hand, I got my 9800 NP to clock at the highest XT speeds without artifacts.. but this was not stress tested at all.
I just ran the DX9 portion of 3dmark03 and looked for artifacts, and I didnt even let it finish.

If you dont I think your selling YOURSELF (whoevers in question) short by not looking at both lines.

Dont believe the hype!
To quote Public Enemy.

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
I had a few reasons myself for choosing the 5900XT over a 9800 Pro.
Cheapest 9800 Pro I could find was $40 Canadian(Not including taxes) more for an OEM card then the 5900XT for a retail package. MSI's 5900XT came with great game bundle and great 3 year warrenty. The 9800 Pro can come with 3 year warrenty from some but never comes with a gamee bundle at all or in the cases of those that do its never anything good. I already had an Nvidia card in my system prior to the 5900XT purchase so I knew from everything I've read that going from an Nvidia product to an ATI could cause alot of headaches if you don't know exactly what your doing so it was in my best interest to get another Nvidia product. I paid $259 for my card and the cheapest I could have gotten a decent 9800 Pro retail package was for $350 or more.

<font color=blue>_______________________________</font color=blue>
Canada
Asus A7N8X-X, Athelon XP 2500+ Barton,
Samsung 1gb DDR400, MSI GeforceFX5900 XT.
Aquamark=<b>36077</b> 3DMark03=<b>5322</b>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
yes one must keep their mind open , things can chance in an instant

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

Well I guess considering the latest, perhaps it's an early wake.

However I wouldn't be surprised if it's still planned. 2 in the same segment can't allow for good return on the development costs of the FX5700 core.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
You are a prime example of what I'm talking about.

Theres a nasty, overgrown prejudice against NV in this forum that is less justified than the miserable track record ATI has created for itself prior to the ArtX R300.

People like Cleeve have gone against the masses touting NV's favorable points (5900) against the masses of mindless followers and came out on top.

Frankly Vimp, you made the right decision in your case IMO and any reasonable persons viewpoint.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
if i was in his position Kinney, I would have done the same..

240 bux for a 5900 is freaking sweet!!!

especially sinse i live in canada..

and yes there are some "fanboy" posts here, but man, really , its mostly true because you cant deny ATi does have the advantage AT the moment, and they have had an advantage for quite some time now

.. look at my posts from the last day or two . most praise ATI , but they are based on personal experience and testing and fact and reviewing of drivers/games and whatnot. they arent meant to bash a certain company, i just type it as i see it. i personally dont care about ATI.. heck, if nvidia released a card tomorrow that totally trashed all ATi had to offer with full image quality and if they actually delivered on all their promises i would buy one of their cards in an instant!

but in alot of price right now, ati just has better deals.. not ALL places, but alot

if it quacks like a duck... you know what im saying .. perhaps your too favouring of nvidia and fail to see what shortcomings they have the last 2 years ? ;)

-------

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Plus, you gotta consider the NV driver advantage and superior features.
WTF is this? Mind telling me what features I'm missing out on? nV is the one missing out on features... like REAL FULL DX9 support throughout the pipeline, and useable 24bit FP color! Check out the Hard OCP review of Far Cry and check out the image quality. Driver advantages my ass.

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Willamette_Sucks on 04/06/04 08:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
if it quacks like a duck... you know what im saying .. perhaps your too favouring of nvidia and fail to see what shortcomings they have the last 2 years ? ;)

Not really.
The 5900XT is the only NV worth buying now besides the GF4.
IF that 5900 goes, there will be no reason to buy NV.

But with NV40s release so soon, I feel its irrelevant.

I'm just trying to keep it fair and balanced, you know as well as I do that neither has a line that completely dominates the consumer PC GPU market.

.. look at my posts from the last day or two . most praise ATI , but they are based on personal experience and testing and fact and reviewing of drivers/games and whatnot. they arent meant to bash a certain company, i just type it as i see it. i personally dont care about ATI, but in alot of price ranges they just have way better deals
I've both praised <b>and</b> cursed ATI.. but that was due to my experiences (that I only had due to me shelling out my hard-earned $$$$).
Most here curse NV due to lack of experience based on rants on IQ issues.

I think theres a crucial difference between a ATI fanboy ranting on what some hardware site is saying... and someone like me who has actually bought both companies products recently.
I mean, if a person doesnt get ripped off (which is what many NV cards have been in the last two years), then they really dont have much right to complain.
Kudos to them for being educated, but doesnt it seem a bit silly to bash the other product then?
I mean, simply put- just be happy.
Especially with no first-hand knowledge of the issues?
Its not like they lost their money to an inferior product... that is when MOST reasonable people complain about a product being faulty or subpar.

I never bought an NV30 or its derivatives, so I dont see much reason for me to bash NV for all these supposed "issues" that many have with the company and its chips.

Its all fun and games to most, but I fear a few around these parts rant on it SO HARD that it nears bitter fanboyishness.

NV has been nothing but superior to ATI for this educated consumer.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
Most here curse NV due to lack of experience based on rants on IQ issues.
yes, this is true .. but i hope you realize the things I have said about IQ are from my personal hours of testing and scrutinizing.

Its all fun and games to most, but I fear a few around these parts rant on it SO HARD that it nears bitter fanboyishness.

true also. were you here in 2002? it was teh opposite back then. mirror image, except with a brackish light.. i remember posting about drivres and getting sh1t like "you like ati you fvvckig idiot??" hence why i stopped posting from time to time

it was SAD in this place for quite some time.. so the ball swings either way.. and there will probably be a time when people will start posting here complainaing and bitching about ATi

funny Kinney, didnt you start flame wars purposefully for months, about a year ago? hahaahahaahahhah man that was annoying trying to get people to ignore your threads but you seem to know whats going on now, kudos

-------

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
NV has been nothing but superior to ATI for this educated consumer.
I don't get you kinney. You say the only current nV product worth buying is the 5900XT, yet, they have been nothing but superior?

I agree with most of your post, and applaud your effort to keep it 'fair and balanced' (I love the o'rielly factor!)

However, I find most of the established members of this board to be quite objective, and many of us have owned both ATI and nVidia products. I have. I try to look at things as objectively as possible, and looking at the next gen., I just may buy nVidia, we'll see.

The thing is, as far as the current generation goes, most OBJECTIVE opinions go in ATI's favor. Mine does.

Since the 9700p came out, ATI has been nothing but superior to nVidia:)

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Willamette_Sucks on 04/06/04 09:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>