Unable to Read Data File on CD

I have 2 identical boxes, both XP Pro (SP2). Both have 4xCD/DVD+RW/+R.

I copy a data file from PC1. Check it to be sure it can be opened on PC1.
Then when I attempt to copy the file to PC2, the CD does not show up under my
D drive on PC2. Why won't PC2 recognize the CD written on PC1?

To my knowledge, I have not selected any password protected file options on
PC1. Could there be some special type of formatting that is allowing me to
read the data on the PC that wrote the file, but not on another PC? The CD is
a standard TDK 700MB CD-R. I am not using any installed applc to read the CD
file, just My Computer/Devices & Removable Storage/ The CD shows up on PC1
but not PC2. Thanks, EZ

--
ezbit
1 answer Last reply

    "ezbit" <ezbit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have 2 identical boxes, both XP Pro (SP2). Both have 4xCD/DVD+RW/+R.
    >
    > I copy a data file from PC1. Check it to be sure it can be opened on PC1.
    > Then when I attempt to copy the file to PC2, the CD does not show up under
    > my
    > D drive on PC2. Why won't PC2 recognize the CD written on PC1?
    >
    > To my knowledge, I have not selected any password protected file options
    > on
    > PC1. Could there be some special type of formatting that is allowing me to
    > read the data on the PC that wrote the file, but not on another PC? The CD
    > is
    > a standard TDK 700MB CD-R. I am not using any installed applc to read the
    > CD
    > file, just My Computer/Devices & Removable Storage/ The CD shows up on PC1
    > but not PC2. Thanks, EZ
    >

    > --
    > ezbit

    Could any of several problems. The drives aren't compatible, the media is
    damaged, defective, not compatible with one of the drives. My first step
    would be to try a different brand of disc.

    Kerry

CD-Rom Windows XP