8400 hard drive light

I wonder if my LED for the hard drive is installed wrong. I can barely see
it, even when looking straight into it. It sits on the floor next to my
desk and looking down at the light you can't see it at all. Any of you 8400
owners notice this? The power button light is weak too. Could they be
related problems? Has anybody had their 8400 torn apart to expose the
mounts for these lights? Is getting to them user friendly?

alien

"alien" <nofenders@mtco.com> wrote in message
>I wonder if my LED for the hard drive is installed wrong. I can barely see
>it, even when looking straight into it. It sits on the floor next to my
>desk and looking down at the light you can't see it at all. Any of you
>8400 owners notice this? The power button light is weak too. Could they
>be related problems? Has anybody had their 8400 torn apart to expose the
>mounts for these lights? Is getting to them user friendly?
>
> alien

I've noticed the same thing. Mine (month old Dimension 8400 MCE) sits in a
location that's pretty dim even during the day and it's still difficult
sometimes to see the activity light. Can't hear the harddrive either. Stuff
keeps changing on the screen in an interactive manner so one assumes it's
working. :)

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/diskmon.shtml

alien wrote:
> I wonder if my LED for the hard drive is installed wrong. I can barely see
> it, even when looking straight into it. It sits on the floor next to my
> desk and looking down at the light you can't see it at all. Any of you 8400
> owners notice this? The power button light is weak too. Could they be
> related problems? Has anybody had their 8400 torn apart to expose the
> mounts for these lights? Is getting to them user friendly?

I know this is just a language thing, British vs American, but this
sounded really extreme, i.e. tearing your computer apart just to look at
a light! ;-)

ricardo

I have my 8400 at eye-level sight and still have a little trouble seeing
it. I do think Dell could have used brighter LEDs for these things us
sers consider to be critical.
ricardo

"ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
>I have my 8400 at eye-level sight and still have a little trouble seeing
>it. I do think Dell could have used brighter LEDs for these things us sers
>consider to be critical.
> ricardo

That's been one of the shortcomings of this case since the first Dim4300
showed up in the world.

It is small and it is hard to see.

Stew

> "ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
>>I have my 8400 at eye-level sight and still have a little trouble seeing
>>it. I do think Dell could have used brighter LEDs for these things us sers
>>consider to be critical.
>> ricardo
>

> That's been one of the shortcomings of this case since the first Dim4300
> showed up in the world.
>
> It is small and it is hard to see.
>
> Stew

What am I missing. I can't remember the last time I felt the need to look at
the light?

Tom

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
>>>I have my 8400 at eye-level sight and still have a little trouble seeing
>>>it. I do think Dell could have used brighter LEDs for these things us
>>>sers consider to be critical.
>>> ricardo
>>

>> That's been one of the shortcomings of this case since the first Dim4300
>> showed up in the world.
>>
>> It is small and it is hard to see.
>>
>> Stew
>>

> What am I missing. I can't remember the last time I felt the need to look
> at the light?
>
> Tom
If the light isn't worth bothering about then why fit one in the first
place? Obviously its there for a reason, if its difficult to see then Dell
should address the problem.

Rob

"Rob" <unununium33@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> That's been one of the shortcomings of this case since the first Dim4300
>>> showed up in the world.
>>>
>>> It is small and it is hard to see.
>>>
>>> Stew
>>>

>> What am I missing. I can't remember the last time I felt the need to look
>> at the light?
>>
>> Tom
> If the light isn't worth bothering about then why fit one in the first
> place? Obviously its there for a reason, if its difficult to see then Dell
> should address the problem.
>
> Rob

Mountain out of a molehill. The design is the design. If it bothers you,
then you have 21 days to return the machine.

Bruce

"Rob" <unununium33@hotmail.com> wrote in

>> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "ricardo" <me@myself.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> That's been one of the shortcomings of this case since the first
>>> Dim4300 showed up in the world.
>>>
>>> It is small and it is hard to see.
>>>
>>> Stew
>>>

>> What am I missing. I can't remember the last time I felt the need to
>> look at the light?
>>
>> Tom
> If the light isn't worth bothering about then why fit one in the first
> place? Obviously its there for a reason, if its difficult to see then
> Dell should address the problem.
>
> Rob

Yep, my Dim4550 box is on the floor, in a dark place under my desk, and I
still have troubles seeing the light. I have to get down on my knees. I
do like to see it when installing software or updates; sometimes there's
no activity on the screen, and I like to know if I've crashed. Looking
at the hd light answers this question. It'd be nice if it was as visible
as my optical drive lights.

BTW, while they're at it, they should redesign the asinine location of
the USB ports on the front of the case, that are under that hood-like
thing. What PITA those are!

But, I do like my Dell machines. Reliable, and service is pretty good.

Bruce

"Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message

> Yep, my Dim4550 box is on the floor, in a dark place under my desk, and I
> still have troubles seeing the light. I have to get down on my knees. I
> do like to see it when installing software or updates; sometimes there's
> no activity on the screen, and I like to know if I've crashed. Looking
> at the hd light answers this question. It'd be nice if it was as visible
> as my optical drive lights.
>
> BTW, while they're at it, they should redesign the asinine location of
> the USB ports on the front of the case, that are under that hood-like
> thing. What PITA those are!
>
> But, I do like my Dell machines. Reliable, and service is pretty good.
>
> Bruce

As it's been pointed out here in this thread there are a multitude of
reasons why a user wants to see the hard drive light. I'm going to call them
and have a tech come out and "repair" mine. It looks to me like the light
sits too far back in the hole like the board it's soldered to isnt mounted
right. The part of the LED you can see is not centered in the hole either.

.... and who was the idiot that came up with the idea of putting the front
USB ports at a 45 degree angle pointing downwards?!? That one had me
stumped for a bit. I kept turning the usb cable over trying to make it fit.
My eyes aren't what they once were.

alien

Bruce,
Consider getting a usb extension cable, works for me.
Paul

Bruce wrote:

snipped

> BTW, while they're at it, they should redesign the asinine location of
> the USB ports on the front of the case, that are under that hood-like
> thing. What PITA those are!
>
> But, I do like my Dell machines. Reliable, and service is pretty good.
>
> Bruce

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message

> Yep, my Dim4550 box is on the floor, in a dark place under my desk, and I
> still have troubles seeing the light. I have to get down on my knees. I
> do like to see it when installing software or updates; sometimes there's
> no activity on the screen, and I like to know if I've crashed. Looking
> at the hd light answers this question. It'd be nice if it was as visible
> as my optical drive lights.
>
> BTW, while they're at it, they should redesign the asinine location of
> the USB ports on the front of the case, that are under that hood-like
> thing. What PITA those are!
>
> But, I do like my Dell machines. Reliable, and service is pretty good.
>
> Bruce

Like I said it's there for a reason. I love my Dell too, best damn PC I've
owned but don't Dell have some sort of a customer feedback programme?
Nothing's perfect (even though Tom Scales would have you believe <ducks>)
and there's always room for improvement. Surely if enough people complained
about this design Dell might improve it on the next models.

> "Bruce" <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Yep, my Dim4550 box is on the floor, in a dark place under my desk, and I
>> still have troubles seeing the light. I have to get down on my knees. I
>> do like to see it when installing software or updates; sometimes there's
>> no activity on the screen, and I like to know if I've crashed. Looking
>> at the hd light answers this question. It'd be nice if it was as visible
>> as my optical drive lights.
>>
>> BTW, while they're at it, they should redesign the asinine location of
>> the USB ports on the front of the case, that are under that hood-like
>> thing. What PITA those are!
>>
>> But, I do like my Dell machines. Reliable, and service is pretty good.
>>
>> Bruce
>

> Like I said it's there for a reason. I love my Dell too, best damn PC I've
> owned but don't Dell have some sort of a customer feedback programme?
> Nothing's perfect (even though Tom Scales would have you believe <ducks>)
> and there's always room for improvement. Surely if enough people
> complained about this design Dell might improve it on the next models.
>
> Rob

That's what their community forums are for, among other things.

I don't think they're perfect, never have. Perhaps you're too new here to
know

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 15:35:31 -0600, "alien" <nofenders@mtco.com> wrote:

>I wonder if my LED for the hard drive is installed wrong. I can barely see
>it, even when looking straight into it. It sits on the floor next to my
>desk and looking down at the light you can't see it at all. Any of you 8400
>owners notice this? The power button light is weak too. Could they be
>related problems? Has anybody had their 8400 torn apart to expose the
>mounts for these lights? Is getting to them user friendly?

I have an 8200 and the wife has an 8300. Both drive lights are
extremly dim, so it must be a problem with the tower.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots: