Screensaver Stopped Working

April 18, 2005 9:11:19 PM

Please HELP! The Windows built-in screensaver has suddenly stopped working
on my Windows XP OS. I've played around with all the screensaver settings
but can't get it to work. When I click on "preview" it works momentarily but
cannot get it to start after the 15 minute wait I have it set at. Noticed
that this situation started just recently after I download a Windows XP
upgrade. Any suggestions?
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 11:59:15 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326719
Screen Saver May Not Start in Windows XP

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#ss
Troubleshooting Screen Saver Issues in XP

Posting from another user by the name of David:
"I figured out what the problem is. It's the Microsoft Wireless Mouse. If I switch
the mouse to one with a tail the screensaver works."
then David posted again
"I got a fix. I changed to connection to the computer using the USB to PS2 adapter
that came with the mouse. Now I get the screensaver. I would be interested to find
out why this works."

"Larry" <news at comcast dot net> wrote in message
> Please HELP! The Windows built-in screensaver has suddenly stopped working on my
> Windows XP OS. I've played around with all the screensaver settings but can't get
> it to work. When I click on "preview" it works momentarily but cannot get it to
> start after the 15 minute wait I have it set at. Noticed that this situation
> started just recently after I download a Windows XP upgrade. Any suggestions?

April 25, 2005 2:40:03 AM

I do have a MS Wireless mouse and I thought your recommendation was the
answer to my problem! So I switched from a USB port to a PS2 adapter.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work! I still have a problem, where appearance of
the screensaver is at best an intermittent occurrence. Any further
suggestions??? Thanks!

"Taurarian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 0uLpbMRFHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326719
> Screen Saver May Not Start in Windows XP
>
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#ss
> Troubleshooting Screen Saver Issues in XP
>
> Posting from another user by the name of David:
> "I figured out what the problem is. It's the Microsoft Wireless Mouse.
> If I switch the mouse to one with a tail the screensaver works."
> then David posted again
> "I got a fix. I changed to connection to the computer using the USB to
> PS2 adapter that came with the mouse. Now I get the screensaver. I would
> be interested to find out why this works."
>

> "Larry" <news at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>> Please HELP! The Windows built-in screensaver has suddenly stopped
>> working on my Windows XP OS. I've played around with all the screensaver
>> settings but can't get it to work. When I click on "preview" it works
>> momentarily but cannot get it to start after the 15 minute wait I have it
>> set at. Noticed that this situation started just recently after I
>> download a Windows XP upgrade. Any suggestions?

April 26, 2005 1:14:14 AM

Hi Larry, did you also check out the links I sent?
Otherwise no further suggestions.
Kaylene

>I do have a MS Wireless mouse and I thought your recommendation was the answer to my
>problem! So I switched from a USB port to a PS2 adapter. Unfortunately, it doesn't
>work! I still have a problem, where appearance of the screensaver is at best an
>intermittent occurrence. Any further suggestions??? Thanks!
>

> "Taurarian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o 0uLpbMRFHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326719
>> Screen Saver May Not Start in Windows XP
>>
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#ss
>> Troubleshooting Screen Saver Issues in XP
>>
>> Posting from another user by the name of David:
>> "I figured out what the problem is. It's the Microsoft Wireless Mouse. If I
>> switch the mouse to one with a tail the screensaver works."
>> then David posted again
>> "I got a fix. I changed to connection to the computer using the USB to PS2
>> adapter that came with the mouse. Now I get the screensaver. I would be
>> interested to find out why this works."
>>

>> "Larry" <news at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>>> Please HELP! The Windows built-in screensaver has suddenly stopped working on my
>>> Windows XP OS. I've played around with all the screensaver settings but can't
>>> get it to work. When I click on "preview" it works momentarily but cannot get it
>>> to start after the 15 minute wait I have it set at. Noticed that this situation
>>> started just recently after I download a Windows XP upgrade. Any suggestions?

April 26, 2005 1:14:15 AM

Kaylene, thank you for the info. I did check out the two links you sent.
The microsoft link did not apply to me since I already have the latest XP
service pack installed. The kellys-korner link was tempting but
unfortunately, I am leery about playing around with the windows registry
files. Have you downloaded and installed any of these registry files
without incurring problems? Thanks again.
Larry

> Hi Larry, did you also check out the links I sent?
> Otherwise no further suggestions.
> Kaylene
>
> "Larry" <news at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>>I do have a MS Wireless mouse and I thought your recommendation was the
>>answer to my problem! So I switched from a USB port to a PS2 adapter.
>>Unfortunately, it doesn't work! I still have a problem, where appearance
>>of the screensaver is at best an intermittent occurrence. Any further
>>suggestions??? Thanks!
>>

>> "Taurarian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:o 0uLpbMRFHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326719
>>> Screen Saver May Not Start in Windows XP
>>>
>>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#ss
>>> Troubleshooting Screen Saver Issues in XP
>>>
>>> Posting from another user by the name of David:
>>> "I figured out what the problem is. It's the Microsoft Wireless Mouse.
>>> If I switch the mouse to one with a tail the screensaver works."
>>> then David posted again
>>> "I got a fix. I changed to connection to the computer using the USB to
>>> PS2 adapter that came with the mouse. Now I get the screensaver. I
>>> would be interested to find out why this works."
>>>

>>> "Larry" <news at comcast dot net> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 26, 2005 11:52:18 PM

I have used some of Kelly's tweaks on my computer and others - of course I take the
precaution of creating a system restore point first. Many users on the Newsgroup have
also used Kelly's tweaks without incident, but of course you get the occasional one
that causes a problem for a user which wouldn't normally happen. You can always
download and view Kelly's reg files in notepad to check out exactly what the files
do.
"REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting
Edit."

Also note you can save the registry key first by:
On the File menu, click Export.
In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
Or create a system restore point prior to editing.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to
reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own risk.

Of course, there are never any guarantees.

It's entirely up to you.

> Kaylene, thank you for the info. I did check out the two links you sent. The
> microsoft link did not apply to me since I already have the latest XP service pack
> installed. The kellys-korner link was tempting but unfortunately, I am leery about
> playing around with the windows registry files. Have you downloaded and installed
> any of these registry files without incurring problems? Thanks again.
> Larry
>

> "Taurarian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Larry, did you also check out the links I sent?
>> Otherwise no further suggestions.
>> Kaylene
>>
>> "Larry" <news at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>>>I do have a MS Wireless mouse and I thought your recommendation was the answer to
>>>my problem! So I switched from a USB port to a PS2 adapter. Unfortunately, it
>>>doesn't work! I still have a problem, where appearance of the screensaver is at
>>>best an intermittent occurrence. Any further suggestions??? Thanks!
>>>

>>> "Taurarian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o 0uLpbMRFHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

May 23, 2005 4:41:02 PM

Hopefully this thread isnt dead yet, I have the same problem and have tried
everything. Diabled the startup items in MSCONFIG, ran the tweaks in Kellys
Korner, ensured the screen savers work in the registry, I dont have a
wireless mouse.
Any other ideas out there?
Thanks,
Justin

"Taurarian" wrote:

> I have used some of Kelly's tweaks on my computer and others - of course I take the
> precaution of creating a system restore point first. Many users on the Newsgroup have
> also used Kelly's tweaks without incident, but of course you get the occasional one
> that causes a problem for a user which wouldn't normally happen. You can always
> download and view Kelly's reg files in notepad to check out exactly what the files
> do.
> "REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting
> Edit."
>
> Also note you can save the registry key first by:
> On the File menu, click Export.
> In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
> Or create a system restore point prior to editing.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
> HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
> Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to
> reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own risk.
>
> Of course, there are never any guarantees.
>
> It's entirely up to you.
>

> "Larry" <news at comcast dot net> wrote in message
> > Kaylene, thank you for the info. I did check out the two links you sent. The
> > microsoft link did not apply to me since I already have the latest XP service pack
> > installed. The kellys-korner link was tempting but unfortunately, I am leery about
> > playing around with the windows registry files. Have you downloaded and installed
> > any of these registry files without incurring problems? Thanks again.
> > Larry
> >

> > "Taurarian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi Larry, did you also check out the links I sent?
> >> Otherwise no further suggestions.
> >> Kaylene
> >>
> >> "Larry" <news at comcast dot net> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 23, 2005 8:55:27 PM

Hi Justin, posting from another user by the name of David:
�I figured out what the problem is. It's the Microsoft Wireless Mouse. If
I switch
the mouse to one with a tail the screensaver works.�
then David posted again
�I got a fix. I changed to connection to the computer using the USB to PS2
adapter
that came with the mouse. Now I get the screensaver. I would be interested
to find out why this works.�

Hope the above helps a little.

!