Screensaver Stopped Working

Please HELP! The Windows built-in screensaver has suddenly stopped working
on my Windows XP OS. I've played around with all the screensaver settings
but can't get it to work. When I click on "preview" it works momentarily but
cannot get it to start after the 15 minute wait I have it set at. Noticed
that this situation started just recently after I download a Windows XP
upgrade. Any suggestions?
7 answers Last reply
More about screensaver stopped working

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326719
    Screen Saver May Not Start in Windows XP

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#ss
    Troubleshooting Screen Saver Issues in XP

    Posting from another user by the name of David:
    "I figured out what the problem is. It's the Microsoft Wireless Mouse. If I switch
    the mouse to one with a tail the screensaver works."
    then David posted again
    "I got a fix. I changed to connection to the computer using the USB to PS2 adapter
    that came with the mouse. Now I get the screensaver. I would be interested to find
    out why this works."

    "Larry" <news at comcast dot net> wrote in message
    > Please HELP! The Windows built-in screensaver has suddenly stopped working on my
    > Windows XP OS. I've played around with all the screensaver settings but can't get
    > it to work. When I click on "preview" it works momentarily but cannot get it to
    > start after the 15 minute wait I have it set at. Noticed that this situation
    > started just recently after I download a Windows XP upgrade. Any suggestions?

    I do have a MS Wireless mouse and I thought your recommendation was the
    answer to my problem! So I switched from a USB port to a PS2 adapter.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't work! I still have a problem, where appearance of
    the screensaver is at best an intermittent occurrence. Any further
    suggestions??? Thanks!

    "Taurarian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326719
    > Screen Saver May Not Start in Windows XP
    >
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#ss
    > Troubleshooting Screen Saver Issues in XP
    >
    > Posting from another user by the name of David:
    > "I figured out what the problem is. It's the Microsoft Wireless Mouse.
    > If I switch the mouse to one with a tail the screensaver works."
    > then David posted again
    > "I got a fix. I changed to connection to the computer using the USB to
    > PS2 adapter that came with the mouse. Now I get the screensaver. I would
    > be interested to find out why this works."
    >

    > "Larry" <news at comcast dot net> wrote in message
    >> Please HELP! The Windows built-in screensaver has suddenly stopped
    >> working on my Windows XP OS. I've played around with all the screensaver
    >> settings but can't get it to work. When I click on "preview" it works
    >> momentarily but cannot get it to start after the 15 minute wait I have it
    >> set at. Noticed that this situation started just recently after I
    >> download a Windows XP upgrade. Any suggestions?

    Hi Larry, did you also check out the links I sent?
    Otherwise no further suggestions.
    Kaylene

    >I do have a MS Wireless mouse and I thought your recommendation was the answer to my
    >problem! So I switched from a USB port to a PS2 adapter. Unfortunately, it doesn't
    >work! I still have a problem, where appearance of the screensaver is at best an
    >intermittent occurrence. Any further suggestions??? Thanks!
    >

    > "Taurarian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326719
    >> Screen Saver May Not Start in Windows XP
    >>
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#ss
    >> Troubleshooting Screen Saver Issues in XP
    >>
    >> Posting from another user by the name of David:
    >> "I figured out what the problem is. It's the Microsoft Wireless Mouse. If I
    >> switch the mouse to one with a tail the screensaver works."
    >> then David posted again
    >> "I got a fix. I changed to connection to the computer using the USB to PS2
    >> adapter that came with the mouse. Now I get the screensaver. I would be
    >> interested to find out why this works."
    >>

    >> "Larry" <news at comcast dot net> wrote in message
    >>> Please HELP! The Windows built-in screensaver has suddenly stopped working on my
    >>> Windows XP OS. I've played around with all the screensaver settings but can't
    >>> get it to work. When I click on "preview" it works momentarily but cannot get it
    >>> to start after the 15 minute wait I have it set at. Noticed that this situation
    >>> started just recently after I download a Windows XP upgrade. Any suggestions?

    Kaylene, thank you for the info. I did check out the two links you sent.
    The microsoft link did not apply to me since I already have the latest XP
    service pack installed. The kellys-korner link was tempting but
    unfortunately, I am leery about playing around with the windows registry
    files. Have you downloaded and installed any of these registry files
    without incurring problems? Thanks again.
    Larry

    > Hi Larry, did you also check out the links I sent?
    > Otherwise no further suggestions.
    > Kaylene
    >
    > "Larry" <news at comcast dot net> wrote in message
    >>I do have a MS Wireless mouse and I thought your recommendation was the
    >>answer to my problem! So I switched from a USB port to a PS2 adapter.
    >>Unfortunately, it doesn't work! I still have a problem, where appearance
    >>of the screensaver is at best an intermittent occurrence. Any further
    >>suggestions??? Thanks!
    >>

    >> "Taurarian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326719
    >>> Screen Saver May Not Start in Windows XP
    >>>
    >>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm#ss
    >>> Troubleshooting Screen Saver Issues in XP
    >>>
    >>> Posting from another user by the name of David:
    >>> "I figured out what the problem is. It's the Microsoft Wireless Mouse.
    >>> If I switch the mouse to one with a tail the screensaver works."
    >>> then David posted again
    >>> "I got a fix. I changed to connection to the computer using the USB to
    >>> PS2 adapter that came with the mouse. Now I get the screensaver. I
    >>> would be interested to find out why this works."
    >>>

    >>> "Larry" <news at comcast dot net> wrote in message

    I have used some of Kelly's tweaks on my computer and others - of course I take the
    precaution of creating a system restore point first. Many users on the Newsgroup have
    also used Kelly's tweaks without incident, but of course you get the occasional one
    that causes a problem for a user which wouldn't normally happen. You can always
    download and view Kelly's reg files in notepad to check out exactly what the files
    do.
    "REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting
    Edit."

    Also note you can save the registry key first by:
    On the File menu, click Export.
    In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
    Or create a system restore point prior to editing.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
    HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
    Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to
    reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own risk.

    Of course, there are never any guarantees.

    It's entirely up to you.

    > Kaylene, thank you for the info. I did check out the two links you sent. The
    > microsoft link did not apply to me since I already have the latest XP service pack
    > installed. The kellys-korner link was tempting but unfortunately, I am leery about
    > playing around with the windows registry files. Have you downloaded and installed
    > any of these registry files without incurring problems? Thanks again.
    > Larry
    >

    > "Taurarian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Larry, did you also check out the links I sent?
    >> Otherwise no further suggestions.
    >> Kaylene
    >>
    >> "Larry" <news at comcast dot net> wrote in message
    >>>I do have a MS Wireless mouse and I thought your recommendation was the answer to
    >>>my problem! So I switched from a USB port to a PS2 adapter. Unfortunately, it
    >>>doesn't work! I still have a problem, where appearance of the screensaver is at
    >>>best an intermittent occurrence. Any further suggestions??? Thanks!
    >>>

    >>> "Taurarian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    Hopefully this thread isnt dead yet, I have the same problem and have tried
    everything. Diabled the startup items in MSCONFIG, ran the tweaks in Kellys
    Korner, ensured the screen savers work in the registry, I dont have a
    wireless mouse.
    Any other ideas out there?
    Thanks,
    Justin

    "Taurarian" wrote:

    > I have used some of Kelly's tweaks on my computer and others - of course I take the
    > precaution of creating a system restore point first. Many users on the Newsgroup have
    > also used Kelly's tweaks without incident, but of course you get the occasional one
    > that causes a problem for a user which wouldn't normally happen. You can always
    > download and view Kelly's reg files in notepad to check out exactly what the files
    > do.
    > "REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting
    > Edit."
    >
    > Also note you can save the registry key first by:
    > On the File menu, click Export.
    > In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
    > Or create a system restore point prior to editing.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
    > HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
    > Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to
    > reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own risk.
    >
    > Of course, there are never any guarantees.
    >
    > It's entirely up to you.
    >

    > "Larry" <news at comcast dot net> wrote in message
    > > Kaylene, thank you for the info. I did check out the two links you sent. The
    > > microsoft link did not apply to me since I already have the latest XP service pack
    > > installed. The kellys-korner link was tempting but unfortunately, I am leery about
    > > playing around with the windows registry files. Have you downloaded and installed
    > > any of these registry files without incurring problems? Thanks again.
    > > Larry
    > >

    > > "Taurarian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hi Larry, did you also check out the links I sent?
    > >> Otherwise no further suggestions.
    > >> Kaylene
    > >>
    > >> "Larry" <news at comcast dot net> wrote in message

    Hi Justin, posting from another user by the name of David:
    �I figured out what the problem is. It's the Microsoft Wireless Mouse. If
    I switch
    the mouse to one with a tail the screensaver works.�
    then David posted again
    �I got a fix. I changed to connection to the computer using the USB to PS2
    adapter
    that came with the mouse. Now I get the screensaver. I would be interested
    to find out why this works.�

    Hope the above helps a little.

    "Justin" wrote:

    > Hopefully this thread isnt dead yet, I have the same problem and have tried
    > everything. Diabled the startup items in MSCONFIG, ran the tweaks in Kellys
    > Korner, ensured the screen savers work in the registry, I dont have a
    > wireless mouse.
    > Any other ideas out there?
    > Thanks,
    > Justin
    >
    > "Taurarian" wrote:
    >
    > > I have used some of Kelly's tweaks on my computer and others - of course I take the
    > > precaution of creating a system restore point first. Many users on the Newsgroup have
    > > also used Kelly's tweaks without incident, but of course you get the occasional one
    > > that causes a problem for a user which wouldn't normally happen. You can always
    > > download and view Kelly's reg files in notepad to check out exactly what the files
    > > do.
    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    > > "REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on the file and selecting
    > > Edit."
    > >
    > > Also note you can save the registry key first by:
    > > On the File menu, click Export.
    > > In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
    > > Or create a system restore point prior to editing.
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
    > > HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP
    > > Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to
    > > reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own risk.
    > >
    > > Of course, there are never any guarantees.
    > >
    > > It's entirely up to you.
    > >

    > > "Larry" <news at comcast dot net> wrote in message
    > > > Kaylene, thank you for the info. I did check out the two links you sent. The
    > > > microsoft link did not apply to me since I already have the latest XP service pack
    > > > installed. The kellys-korner link was tempting but unfortunately, I am leery about
    > > > playing around with the windows registry files. Have you downloaded and installed
    > > > any of these registry files without incurring problems? Thanks again.
    > > > Larry
    > > >

    > > > "Taurarian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Screensaver Microsoft Windows XP